Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Bright New Star Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It'll sound sycophantic but the first credit I really noticed in an 'I want more comics by him' sense, was our beloved Mr. Byrne here. Before that I knew the Kurt Schaffenberger Supergirl and the Al Hubbard Scamp were thee def y'all, even if I didn't know their names, I think Kurt would sign KS at least while Disney forbid that sort of thing. I probably liked the Carl Barks Donald Duck adventure stories for the writing as much as anything, and I also liked the Bugs Bunny adventure stories that imitated them.

John Byrne is the Al Hubbard of superhero comics!

Oh yeah, and Basil Wolverton for the Plop! covers... I knew who he was as he signed them and was very very distinctive, I'm sure those covers sold that title to me as much as anything.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
Not to turn this into a Ramona Fradon thread...

Her work is beautiful and so underrated.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In 1969, I would still be reading more older comics than new comics and even with the new comics, there wasn't any consistent purchasing of a single title in series. A strong attraction was to the adventures of the Hulk, where I was introduced to Herb Trimpe. And although not Herb's first Hulk story or cover, it is the earliest memory I have of his work. The Incredible Hulk #118 from 1969, with the Sub-mariner. What kid could resist such a combination?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I became exposed to Ross Andru's Spider-Man in Super Spider-Man weekly here in the UK (B&W reprints). I remember loving them, but at the same time Marvel UK reprinted Lee/Ditko's Spider-Man in a monthly A5 pocket book and I even as a 7 year old kid I knew I loved Ditko.

Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The "newcomers" I got excited about were Art Adams and Aland Davis...

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My comic book access was very chaotic during the 1960's and early 1970's. I didn't even realize there was a schedule for new comics being added to the spinner racks until 1970 or 1971 and wouldn't be able to leverage the knowledge for a couple of years afterward. Correlating disparate information about writers and artists was not something I  could consciously do, but significant changes were easy to identify. Which is probably why I noticed Tom Palmer's work on The Avengers #75 from 1970.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My favorites as a 12-year old were John Byrne, George Perez, Frank Miller, Alan Davis, Bill Sienkiewicz. I loved Sienkiewicz in particular because he was so odd in comparison to all the other highly skilled but "normal" superhero artists. (I didn't know who Ralph Steadman was, yet.)

I guess my new star was Dale Keown. When he took over THE INCREDIBLE HULK, I thought "this guy's just like Byrne -- he draws every Marvel character exactly the way they're supposed to look."

(Side note: I knew Neal Adams through Batman reprints. I hadn't read his X-MEN or AVENGERS work yet. When I did, I thought his pencils looked better with Tom Palmer than with Dick Giordano. That said, various artists looked best with Palmer inking them.)

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Another significant change to my awareness was when certain partnerships or collaborations produced outstanding work. My older brother would share his purchases with me, otherwise I would not have seen Green Lantern and Green Arrow #79,  again from 1970,  by Dennis O'Neil with some help from Neal Adams.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I discovered Keown on SHE-HULK covers in the time after JB’s initial run on the title. Bryan Hitch, too. With Keown on covers and Hitch on interiors, they had a couple of guys that were pretty close to JB’s work. 

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Another book purchased by my brother and one he was very protective of was Conan the Barbarian #1 from 1970, by Roy Thomas and Barry (Windsor-) Smith. Roy had been around for some years, but with this new character his contribution to the book was under consideration and Barry's cover was and is so powerful, raw and dynamic, I just wanted more and more.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Last month, during the annual Red and White Comic, Card and Toy Expo, I spotted this comic book cover of Daredevil #52 from 1969;
I had never seen it before and with its very strong Kirby influence and incorporation of Steranko design elements, it took me a few beats to identify the artist.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I assume every young reader goes through "they just changed the artist and I hate this new guy" experience.

My first comic series was the Incredible Hulk, penciled by Herb Trimpe. Mr. Trimpe's version of the Hulk was to me the definitive version. To my 7-year old brain -- this was the Hulk and this was always the way the Hulk looked. It took me a few months (years?) to warm to Sal Buscema's Hulk. As I've aged I've learned to find the unique qualities each artist brings to a character(s) and try to embrace them. 

This is true for new writers as well but after all it is the art that brought me to comics as a kid. 

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version