Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Bright New Star Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now I remember. Dick Giordano inked Kubert for a BATMAN cover. Looked good, too. I'd be interested to see Kubert/Heath.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Some time during 1972 my family moved from the rural place into town. The isolation of rural life also insulates from the unpleasant aspects of community. I was as the age when peers and adult family members thought it was their duty to encourage (in the most negative ways) me to stop reading comic books. I didn't receive much criticism from my parents, but even my younger brothers would question my hobby, perhaps they were being pressured to pressure me. Lucky for me, I am a stubborn non-conformist. 

I always found it easy to identify artists I liked. I could lift a book from the spinner rack and immediately know the cover artist or crack the book somewhere in the middle and know the interior artist. I could do this before I knew their names. Writes were different to me, a good artist could make poor writing palatable, but I would pass on art I didn't like, no matter how good the writing, until Steve Englehart showed-up. He always had interesting stories to tell and I would buy his comics no matter the artist. The earliest memory of his writing is from Amazing Adventures #12 from 1972 sporting a (box busting) cover by Gil Kane.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tarzan #230 (a 100 pager) Russ Heath inks Kubert on the Korak story, and it was amazing!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

They had Gil Kane doing covers a lot for '70s Marvel, he was one of the best. They reprinted that Beast story with Mike Ploog art, and the Kane cover (without the box format and three floating heads added) for Avengers #136. I never really saw enough Ploog... one Beast and one Werewolf By Night, like Neal Adams and Jim Starlin he seemed to have always been a bit expensive to collect, even before The Ghost Rider got really popular again for awhile.

I think I noticed Jerry Bingham when he was a new artist. And Mary Wilshire (though she may have started in Crazy magazine). Really excellent human figure artists!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ms. Jansen - Mike Ploog did the static art for the Ralph Bakshi movie "Wizards." It's not bad for the period piece that it is. And his art is splendid.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2019 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

With that prelude (again) by Rebecca: 

Although, I probably saw his work in earlier comics, there is a very distinct memory association between the first issue of Werewolf  by Night (1972) and Mike Ploog. 
Hey Rebecca,  Who's next?

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The story line starting in Justice League of America #100 (1972) had me coming back issue after issue until Len Wein's run ended with issue #115. Nick Cardy's covers would always draw my attention, so I don't think I missed an issue inbetween.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2019 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

According to GCD, Heath inked Kubert on the cover to GI Combat #131 and drew a Korak story in Tarzan #230 from Kubert layouts.  Nestor Redondo drew Stories From the Bible from Kubert breakdowns and Rima the Jungle Girl #1-6 from Kubert layouts. Frank Redondo drew Our Armay at War #289 from Kubert layouts. The Redondo Studio drew Ragman #1-4 and Tarzan #244-247 from Kubert layouts.  Dick Giordano inked Kubert's covers to Batman #319 and Men of War #24.  Andy Kubert inked his father's pencils on Sgt. Rock's final issue, #422.  Al Milgrom inked Kubert on Sgt. Rock #303 & 304.

Edited by Colin Ian Campbell on 03 November 2019 at 11:59am

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Certainly another book pulled from the rack because of a great cover by Nick Cardy, but also a start to a beautiful relationship with Dave Cockrum. Here from 1973 is Superboy and the Legion of Super-heroes #197.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2019 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Tangent - I liked that cover, and one of the reasons is that Timber Wolf has beaten all the male Legionnaires - but the girls are still in there swingin'! Well... with one notable exception. :P

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2019 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Again, someone hanging around in the background finally gets their wings and is allowed to fly.  His melees were fascinating. Not sure if I was reading the issues just prior to this one, but I know I had Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel #29 from 1973.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2019 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

After seeing the published (Romita-ized) version of that CM #29 cover my whole life, Starlin's original looks somehow "wrong" to me.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version