The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Swearing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Where do you fall?  

Personally, I have no problem with it.  Use the F bomb all you like.  Take the Lord's name in vain? No problem.  

But some insist on perpetuating the notion that "resorting" to profanity means that they are "less than".  That if you use even a single swear word, your opinions have no merit.  That when someone swears, they've already "lost the argument". Being "decent and Puritan" means more than expressing honest feelings.

Full disclosure, not that it will come as any shock to the board, I love the word "fuck".  I think it can be used in all sorts of ways to express all sorts of opinions. Positive or negative.  But it does have a tendency to throw some people off who don't embrace it in the way that I have.  But is it really THAT bad?  It's just a word.  Right?  Sticks and stones and all that jazz.  

I think it's like the tattoo debate we had a couple of years ago. Some made tattoos out to be a personal foible akin to a monumental human failing where others (like me) said it was just art they wanted express.  Who gives a shit what someone else wants to do with their body and why do you get any say in that decision?  But I digress.  

Do you honestly think less of someone that liberally swears and if so, why?  I don't understand it, so I'm trying to reach out.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doesn't bother me. I don't use it in every day conversation because then where do you go when you accidently hit your thumb with a hammer?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 2:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I curse. I try not to in front of my kids*. I don’t do it around just anyone, but I do curse. 

*It’s kinda funny. I use “profanity” a LOT more than my wife does, but if you ask either of our kids if their parents curse, they’ll both respond, “mommy does.”

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was raised with the belief that swearing was the refuge of the inarticulate and ill-informed; people too concerned with their own feelings to consider those of others. If you couldn't form an argument without such words, you couldn't form one at all. 

Now, years later, I say "Fuck that noise." I swear more nowadays than most people I know, so much so that I really need to straighten up a bit and watch it. It's still offensive to a great number of people. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Everybody swears, and I dislike people who pretend they don't. 

I don't really do it much in everyday conversation, but it's a good way to vent frustration and annoyance, I find.

Of course, over here our swear words tend to draw towards the religious (namedropping the devil, hell, god etc), so there are a lot of old tabboos connected with it.

But over the last few years, we've adopted "fuck" as a go-to word - spelling it "føkk".

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Matt Reed wrote:
I think it's like the tattoo debate we had a couple of years ago. Some made tattoos out to be a personal foible akin to a monumental human failing where others (like me) said it was just art they wanted express.

That was not the debate I recall having.

Matt Reed wrote:
Who gives a shit what someone else wants to do with their body and why do you get any say in that decision?

Precisely because these are a form of self expression. If you express yourself a certain way to other human beings, then be prepared for people to judge that 'self' based on the way you express it!

With tattoos, if you decide to permanently ink a pattern into your skin, which you yourself rarely see (because it is typically facing outward), then I may judge you to be a relatively vain person with little forethought. Especially if you get the latest fad design in tattoos, deliberately wear revealing clothes to show it off, then insist that you "got it for yourself" to express your "individuality".

Famous Tattooist Lyle Tuttle agrees: 'Don't get one, stay unique': A surprising piece of advice from legendary tattoo artist Lyle Tuttle.

Yes, it's YOUR body. But it's MY impression of you, based on the way you expressed yourself to me. I've never made it seem anything like a "monumental human failing".

As for swearing, I certainly do it quite often myself, but it has a time and a place. When used correctly, it emphasizes strong emotion, or increases humorous impact. But I will think less of someone who starts using it in the wrong context, like a Eulogy or speech to the UN General Assembly.

This should all fall under common sense. We all judge others by what we see and hear from them. It's part of our survival instincts. I truly get tired of hearing people say "don't judge me!". My answer is: "But that is precisely what a f*cking brain is designed to do, you f*cktard!" (<---- Note the brilliantly appropriate use of swearing)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is Trumpfucks acceptable?

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I do swear (mainly the F bomb), but only generally out of annoyance. I don't use it if I'm having an easy going conversation with someone.

The 'C' word, however, is a definite no-no. I have a low opinion of anyone who uses that word in their daily vocabulary.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'll stick to the F-word. It's funny I'll use it at the extremes, either when joking around with friends or the utmost of frustration. Rarely if ever during a conversation. There is no impact on me if someone else uses it.

I will say though, at the peak of frustration I may offend everyone possible by using one of my "J--us f---ing Ch--st!" blurt outs.

Also I'm starting to think the "C-word" has become the most offensive to those that get offended.

Edit to add, for clarity I was typing when Craig posted.

Edited by Doug Centers on 22 September 2019 at 5:32am

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

With my sports background, my taste in comedy and music (heavy metal and hard rock), I don't have a real problem with it in general. I don't curse in front of my 8 year-old daughter and I certainly don't want to hear it in my classroom. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Everybody swears, and I dislike people who pretend they don't.

I stopped cursing a couple of years after finishing undergrad, and now do not use profanity unless I am reading or reciting something aloud that contains it. Even then I am more likely to insert a substitute word than not. I am not a crusader in this regard, and do not take issue with other adults who chose to curse.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2019 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Swearing? Context, as with pretty much any human action, matters. More particularly, when grandeur is most appropriate, cursing is least.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version