Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: Impeachment (Again) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Matt's description of a Trump supporter is spot on and accurate for my family members as well. I suspect Matt's, like mine, are avid Fox News viewers also. The only thing Trump supporters are swallowing is the propaganda and talking points coming out of the right wing media machine. That goes down hook, line and sinker.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’ve had numerous acquaintances tell me he’s the best president our country has EVER had. Not only that, but they honestly think he was sent from god to save our country and he’s doing the lords work. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian, there is a documentary series called, "The Family" that provides a bit of insight on that line of thinking that this President is doing the lord's work. You can find it on Netflix if you are inclined. The logic being that a strong, ruthless wolf is the best leader for the flock of sheep in the same vein as King David. I shouldn't be surprised because when has religion ever had trouble twisting logic back on itself, but stuff like this is truly asinine.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Who gives a good goddamn?
---------------------------------
I'm guessing you weren't following the thread, Matt.  We were discussing what approach the Democrats in the House should take toward the impeachment inquiry.  I was arguing that they should draw it out through the next year and do wide-ranging inquiries into Trump's criminality.  I used the endless Benghazi investigations by the Republicans (which were based on a giant pile of nothing) as an example of the damage that could be done to Trump by such an investigation.  Other folks argued that the Benghazi investigations didn't have much effect as part of their argument that the impeachment inquiry should wrap up quickly and only related to the Ukraine issue.

Sorry, but you're giving them a HUGE out.  
---------------------------------------------------------
Trump supporters exist.  You describe them well.  I know a few, it sounds like fewer than you do.  I wasn't talking about Trump supporters in that post.  I was talking about people who voted for Trump in 2016 who aren't part of his camp.  We're not going to get the members of the camp to not vote for him.  As I said, they froth at the mouth.  He wasn't wrong, he could shoot somebody in broad daylight and they still vote for him.

I was talking about people I know who voted for Trump in 2016 but did it for other reasons.  Most of the people I know (having lived in red states the last ten years) were troubled by the last election.  A lot of them held their nose and voted Trump or straight Republican ticket.  Some of them left the president blank and voted in other races.  I know a few lifelong Republicans who actually voted for Clinton.

The people who voted for Trump last time but aren't drinking the Kool-Aid are the ones we can potentially reach and at least get to stay home this time, if not vote Democrat.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steve De Young wrote:
I'm guessing you weren't following the thread, Matt.  We were discussing what approach the Democrats in the House should take toward the impeachment inquiry.  I was arguing that they should draw it out through the next year and do wide-ranging inquiries into Trump's criminality.  I used the endless Benghazi investigations by the Republicans (which were based on a giant pile of nothing) as an example of the damage that could be done to Trump by such an investigation.  Other folks argued that the Benghazi investigations didn't have much effect as part of their argument that the impeachment inquiry should wrap up quickly and only related to the Ukraine issue.

Ah.  Forgive me!  In that light, I agree with you, Steve.  I think this investigation should go right up to October 2020.  I think Pod Save America has it right:  this is a story and has to be carefully crafted.  Use the power of impeachment to dig into what are certainly other improprieties and reveal them throughout the next year.  I don't want this to wind up by Thanksgiving, allowing Trump and his cronies to spin a different tale for a year before the elections.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The people who voted for Trump last time but aren't drinking the Kool-Aid are the ones we can potentially reach and at least get to stay home this time, if not vote Democrat.

-----

If those people haven't already been turned off by Trump's conduct as President, I'm not sure the lengthy impeachment hearings that you suggest will change their minds. To a certain extent, Trump's corruption has already been normalized. Reminding people of that by going after everything will just make people think, "Well, the country's been moving along despite all this, so maybe it's not that bad." The Ukraine thing needs to be painted as so singularly egregious (because it is) that there is no other option but to impeach.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So many levels of Fubar now... how can logic properly apply at this point? It's more like survive as best you can among blaring talking heads and a few quieter voices and hope gradually some sort of normalcy and center emerges again. :^|
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really fear that this will fail and only make the Orange One stronger. I seriously hope I'm wrong and the man ends up out of office, disgraced, and/or in prison. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If those people haven't already been turned off by Trump's conduct as President, I'm not sure the lengthy impeachment hearings that you suggest will change their minds.
---------------------------------------------------
Its not a question of them being 'turned off'.  The people we're talking about were never turned on.  These are people who were in the situation of either voting for Trump, Clinton, or neither.  And they made a decision.  Many of them unenthusiastically.  Barring removal from office, in 2020 they will find themselves with another decision to make, to vote for Trump, a Democratic nominee, or neither.

For someone who voted for Trump thinking he was the lesser of two evils, then yes, every evil we can heap on his side of the scale will help.  We may not get that person to vote for the Democratic nominee, but we may well get them to just not vote for President.

As the polling and exit-polling in 2016 showed if the people too embarrassed to admit they voted for Trump don't vote for him this time, he'll lose even if the Democratic nominee only gets Clinton's votes in significant states.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
For someone who voted for Trump thinking he was the lesser of two evils, then yes, every evil we can heap on his side of the scale will help.

I seem to be unclear. Anyone who doesn't already recognize that Trump is a piece of shit will unlikely to be convinced by what will end up being a partisan shitshow. Trump has already had a lot of "Greg Stillson" moments, and if that doesn't already bother them, then I'm not sure what will, short of testing Trump's assertion that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue.

QUOTE:
As the polling and exit-polling in 2016 showed if the people too embarrassed to admit they voted for Trump don't vote for him this time

The "Shy" Trump Voter is a myth. As is the idea that the polls in 2016 were way off. The national polls reflected the popular vote. The less reliable state polls underestimated Trump support, but still showed what came to pass. In the states where Clinton lost but the polls showed her in the lead, she was only up by a few points, within the margin of error.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Right, I’m pointing out that there were people who voted for Trump in 2016 while also recognizing him as a piece of shit.  Have you enthusiastically supported every candidate you ever voted for?  Again, Trump has enthusiastic voters.  You’re right, they’re unreachable.  He also got votes from a lot of other people for various reasons.  Many of them may be reachable to some degree.

Do you really think that everyone who voted for Trump in 2016 was an enthusiastic supporter and still is?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The charge is that Trump withheld foreign aid in a quid quo pro for Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden's son, thereby aiding Russia and threatening national security. Which is undeniably grave. But for most people, this is esoteric. Ukraine is a national security issue for foreign policy nerds. Most people couldn't find Ukraine on the map, and to be honest, I couldn't until Russia annexed Crimea. Like Iraq, its a place politicians told us that the fate of the world depended on, but turns out to be just another blood-drenched, expensive mess in the middle of nowhere. 

But if the rumor is true, that Biden's son received millions from Ukranian and Chinese companies in attempt to buy his Biden's favor, that's something that just about anyone can understand. A politician who says he wants to do good, and does even better for himself and his kids. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 28 September 2019 at 9:14pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version