Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Rank Your Jokers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My opinions echo some that have already been expressed. My Top Three:

The best Joker performance, and the voice I "hear" when reading books with the characters, is Mark Hamill's (same goes for Kevin Conroy's Batman). 

Live action-wise, I'd have to go with Jack Nicholson. While a bit beefier than his comic and other media counter-parts, they largely (ha.) stuck with the source, looks-wise. The chemically discolored eyes and hair, the face disfigured into a permanent grin, the fashion sense - down to the acidic flower..it's all there. And it's a little more than "Jack just being Jack." Sure, his Joker is mischievous, charismatic, dangerous, and has a sardonic sense of humor -- stuff that Jack can seemingly do in his sleep -- but there's also, at times, an outright goofiness in his portrayal that makes even more effective. 

Yes, it's obvious Cesar Romero is wearing make-up. I think we're supposed to believe his Joker is not (except perhaps lipstick?). And yes, his mustache is obvious. But in the world of '66 Batman, often embracing its own artificiality, it kinda fits. Otherwise, he certainly commits to the role. His laugh - loud and scary. His mannerisms - manic and exaggerated. His speech - silly, but almost Shakespearean. He was never boring.  

After that, there's a wide gap. 

Zach Galifianakis's Joker from THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE was fine. I liked it. Didn't love it. Overall, the movie is a lot of fun. 

Ledger virtually disappeared into his role. Unfortunately, I feel like much of the Joker disappeared from that role, as well. A different take doesn't automatically mean it's worse, but, in this case, didn't necessarily make it better, either. An over-celebrated version in an over-celebrated movie. 

I haven't seen SUICIDE SQUAD. Don't plan to. Ever. 

Same with JOKER. 

"But how will you know you won't like it if you don't watch it?"

Don't care enough to know. Next. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tired of hearing about Romero’s mustache. It most certainly was NOT “obvious” in 1966, on broadcast TV, smaller screens, and still largely in black and white. (Also without PAUSE buttons.)

Might as well complain about the bad acne the characters had in old comics. All those red dots on their faces.

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Watching the Batman show as kid (in the 80ies) I certainly never noticed the moustache. It was pointed out to me many years later, and of course then I couldn't UNsee it.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Same here.  I had no idea Romero refused to shave his mustache.  It was not noticeable at all on broadcast standard def TV.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

QUOTE:
Tired of hearing about Romero’s mustache.

Don't laugh at me, guys.

I didn't realize he had a mustache until earlier today.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It most certainly was NOT “obvious” in 1966, on broadcast TV, smaller screens, and still largely in black and white.
-----------
I didn't realize he had a mustache until earlier today.
------------
Same here.  I had no idea Romero refused to shave his mustache.  It was not noticeable at all on broadcast standard def TV.
------------
... It was pointed out to me many years later, and of course then I couldn't UNsee it.

I assumed most viewers were aware of it, then and now. That was not a safe assumption, clearly. 

Perhaps having it pointed it out is the key. But then, I guess it wouldn't be obvious in and of itself. 

I feel like I've known about it - and consequently, have seen it - as far back as I can remember even first watching the show. Of course, when I was 5 years old, my brother was 13, and he knew everything, as 13-year-olds do. No doubt he insisted on pointing it out to me. And once seen...

Also, our family watched the show on a color RCA television with an enormous (by 1974 standards) 26-inch screen. 

I would think many who saw the movie based on the show in theaters would have noticed. Perhaps not. 

It didn't detract from my enjoyment of his portrayal. Still doesn't. He was my first Joker, and when I say I like Hamill and/or Nicholson more, it's just barely.  

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 04 October 2019 at 11:50am

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm a fan of the Dick Sprang-ish Joker in BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, voiced by Jeff Bennett. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2019 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I learned of the moustache from this forum when someone mentioned it a couple of years ago.
Prior to that I had only watched the series on ‘70’s TV screens.

My reaction? To immediately google photos because I thought the person who had mentioned it was out of their mind.

I wonder how many people who talk about that moustache being obvious have only seen the show on better quality TV screens.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 October 2019 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Almost all, I expect.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As a kid watching the series, I too never noticed the mustache and probably wouldn't have cared if I had. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Article about JOKER on Snopes is illustrated with a picture of Heath Ledger.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Odd story on Snopes. Apparently, moviegoers want to see a mentally disturbed man in love with violence act out through extreme behavior, just not in real life.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version