Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Generations of Artists Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was perusing Diamond's release list earlier to see what was coming out today and I noticed that I recognized hardly any of the artists that were doing the books. There was one point in my fandom where I would actually recognize almost every artist on every book on the stands. 

Do you think that, in our younger years such as what I'm referencing, the older fans ( like we are now) saw things the same way and hardly recognized any of the creator as they got older?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

No, I think the older fans would have been able to at least distinguish between, say, John Byrne and Brian Bolland art, if not know them by name. 

Though the overall quality of art at Marvel and DC is better than in previous decades, the artists' styles are hard to distinguish, in my eyes. It's either abbreviated, like Manga, or lightboxed and static. There's no reason for me to learn the names behind this art. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm think that the older readers (such as  yours truly) are far more conscious of art than those readers of my parents' age. They could easily discern between artists... but I don't think they much cared. Were they eight or nine when Superman and Batman were hitting their stride? Surely the art was different - but I don't think the artists got much credit at the time, so there wasn't a "favorite". Yes, certainly, there were likely those who liked that artist for Action Comics better than the one for Sensation Comics - but probably not all that much, and there probably wasn't a lot of attraction on behalf of the art.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2019 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think that as our days of collecting and paying close attention to what's coming out wane, so too does our ability to recognize the current crop of artists working in the field. It used to be that we would know pretty much every artist working for the big two and nowadays, I look at a convention list of comic creator guests and most of them are "Who?". I don't believe that it's a matter of being dismissive towards the current output, just a matter of being out of touch as we move away from our days of leaving the store with a stack each week.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 October 2019 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There were no credits (or few) when I was starting out as a fan, so I depended very much on recognizing artists by their distinctive styles. That was how I got fooled into thinking Bob Kane—whose name I did know—modified his approach to the art depending on the story.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2019 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If I you didn't look at the credits, you could easily think some of the early works (before they altered their styles) of Bill Sienkiewicz and Tom Grindberg were Neal Adams.

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2019 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I never took notice of any of the artists until Alan Davis came along and blew my mind. Slightly of track (apologies) but although I wasn't paying much attention to the art Marvel Tales always through me off. I knew there was something not quite right with Peter Parker's hairstyle and dress sense compared to, say, Web of Spider-Man but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Ha ha.

Edited by Trevor Thompson on 10 October 2019 at 10:14am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version