Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues -11/27/19 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Another week, another slew of new comics.  Here's what's on my list:

• TERRIFICS #22 - I still like this series.  No cast shuffles (yet).
  • BACK ISSUE #117 - This month's theme is Super-hero stand-ins from the 80's (such as Beta-Ray Bill becoming Thor, John Steward replacing Hal Jordan as Green Lantern).  While there were substitutions before, the 80's was the first sustained replacements that lasted more than 1 or 2 issues.
  • BATMAN VS RAS AL GHUL #3 - Neal Adams.  I continue to admire the man's art to a much greater extent than his writing skills.

What are you getting?
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm at Disney World this week but here's what I'll grab when I come home:

Detective Comics #1016

Avengers #27

Fantastic Four Grand Design #2

New Mutants #2

X-Force #2

No Action Comics since I decided to drop the Superman books. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 November 2019 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

CRIMINAL #10 - Best ongoing comic coming out these days in my opinion. Love all the back matter material too. Reminds me quite a bit of the letters pages from Next Men back in the day. Plus on top of that there's usually an essay about noir film that's usually a pretty good read too. These aren't included in the collections so that makes it worth buying the individual issues. 

EAST OF WEST #44 - My favorite Jonathan Hickman comic is nearing the end. Will be sad to see it go, but I like that Hickman makes his creator owned series finite. 

LAZARUS RISEN #3 - Love this series a lot but am quite a bit behind on my reading of it. Not really a fan of the quarterly release schedule either because even if I was caught up I'd forget what the heck happened in the last issue so it's probably best to let these build up and read them in chunks. Great, great comic though and huge fan of both Greg Rucka's writing and Michael Lark's art. 

FROM HELL MASTER EDITION #8 - Only a couple of issues left of this colorized FROM HELL re-release. 

FIGHT CLUB 3 #11 - Haven't read a single issue of this yet, but will read the whole thing when it's completed next month. Still love these David Mack covers and wish he did the interior art too. 

NEW MUTANTS #2 - Thought I'd enjoy this more than I have but second issue was better than the first. Hoping it keeps getting better but may drop it if it doesn't. Seems more Ed Brissom than Hickman as far as the co-writing goes. 

BASKETFUL OF HEADS #2 - First issue was better than this one I thought but still enjoyed it enough to keep reading and it's only six issues long. Definitely some written for the trade stuff here though and might be better for someone who didn't pick these issues up to do just that. I liked the DOLLHOUSE FAMILY comic from the Joe Hill imprint more than this one, and it reunites Mike Cary and Peter Gross who did some great work on LUCIFER and THE UNWRITTEN, both of which I really enjoyed. 

BATMAN CREATURE OF THE NIGHT #4  - Wow. Didn't expect to see this. Seems like it's been a solid year or more since the third issue came out but really enjoying this "Elseworlds" book by Kurt Busiek and John Paul Leon. This finishes out the prestige format mini-series. 

DETECTIVE COMICS #1016 - Peter Tomasi and Doug Manke (although I don't think he drew the whole issue sadly) are my favorite Batman creative team of late. Tomasi really gets Batman and I like that he includes a lot of the detective stuff. DC also released a second printing of his BATMAN AND ROBIN Omnibus today that I'd like to pick up. It's a great run that I've read from the library in the past but don't yet own. 

TERRIFICS #22 - Still a fun read though I enjoyed Lemire more when he was writing it. 

Also splurged on a bunch of MARVEL EPIC COLLECTIONS in the past week. Target is running a buy one get one free sale this week so I picked up PUNISHER: CIRCLE OF BLOOD, the first Peter David X-FACTOR EPIC COLLECTION, and MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE: CRY MONSTER. With their discounted price and getting one free they came out to around 17 dollars each per EPIC COLLECTION which is pretty great for books that retail for 40 bucks and they are big thick color collections. Also picked up a CAPTAIN AMERICA EPIC COLLECTION by Mark Gruenwald I didn't realize that I didn't yet have: THE BLOODSTONE HUNT. It's apparently out of print but got it for around 30 bucks used on Amazon. And from Instocktrades I took advange of their 45 percent off sale and I've got yet more EPIC COLLECTIONS ordered and on the way: SILVER SURFER: CRY FREEDOM (which includes the JB and Stan Lee one-shot), DEFENDERS: SIX FINGERED HAND SAGA, X-FACTOR: GENESIS AND APOCALYPSE, and MOON KNIGHT: FINAL REST (which completes the Moench and Sienkiewicz run). If that wasn't enough crazy spending I got the ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY ALAN MOORE Vol 1 when it was half price on IST last week and also grabbed BALTIMORE OMNIBUS vol 1 from Amazon (which of course arrived damaged because Amazon packing freaking sucks). 

I also want to get the SECTION ZERO tpb that came out this week but waiting until I get enough stuff to push the order over 50 bucks to get the free shipping from IST. Good thing I've been working a lot of overtime or I'd be completely broke about now. :D 

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Dark Horse:
Ether Volume 3: The Disappearance Of Violet Bell #3 (Of 5)
Witchfinder: The Reign Of Darkness #1 (Of 5)

Image:
Ascender #7
Criminal #10
Lazarus Risen #3

Vault:
Plot #3

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Shane,

I also own those MOON KNIGHT: EPIC COLLECTION trades!  Have you seen the prices vol.2 is going for?!?!  INSANE!

Marc

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dark Horse: Invisible Kingdom #7.
DC: Looney Tunes #252.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2019 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ANGEL #7

BASKETFUL OF HEADS #2

KILLADELPHIA #1

THE PLOT #3

VALKYRIE #5

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marc, yes, the prices that second Moon Knight Epic go for are f-ing ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get a liquidated copy of that second volume for 10 bucks from Books-a-Million a year or two back. It has the remainder mark on it but that never bothers me, especially when you're getting the book at like a quarter of the cover price. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Shane - Two issues in I'm disappointed in "Basketfull of Heads" too but I agree that "Dollhouse Family" was much, much better.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2019 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Avengers #27 and Criminal #10

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BATMAN VS RASAL GHUL #3
BATMAN GIANT #2
ORION OMNIBUS by Walter Simonson
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2019 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Detective Comics # 1016 - Peter Tomasi just keeps the quality going.

Batman vs. Ra's Al Ghul # 3 - I can let the writing slide as the art is pure Neal Adams.

Terrifics # 22 - Fun series still.

Criminal # 10 - One of the best series I've read.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version