Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think I was oversold on the first one. Seemed like everyone at Marvel was raving about it. "Imagine the Ghostbusters vs Galactus!" So when I finally saw it, I was underwhelmed.

The sequel I enjoyed more, and the reboot I liked a lot.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

IMO, The Real Ghostbusters and The Extreme Ghostbusters animated series were better than all of the Ghostbusters movies. Frankly, I think that a property like Ghostbusters works better in animation than in live action and I think that Sony should have continued the original Ghostbusters movie franchise as a series of big budget CGI animated movies.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 12 December 2019 at 12:31am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...then...

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I loved the first movie, even though it ended up terrifying me (I was probably 10.) I went for Bill Murray hijinks but ended up terrified of Gozer.  But, really, it was just a movie I liked that I moved on from, it's not something that became important to me. 

I never saw the sequel either, I've seen bits of the cartoon, but never anything seriously.

I like this trailer just because it's so low key and unusual. Trailers are usually loud and formulaic, I like the change of pace.

So I guess I'll check it out.

Edited by John Popa on 11 December 2019 at 8:19pm

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I've got a wait-and-see attitude towards this but I'm kind of leaning on the positive side of things.  

It's worth noting that the trailer for the 1984 original doesn't try to oversell the comedy aspects compared to what emerged in the actual film so the new film trailer is at least tonally consistant with the franchise.

Another noteworthy aspect is that Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis had always been reluctant to revisit GB unless there was a good story to tell with a good script to back it up (having learned that hard lesson from the poorly-recieved sequel).   This new film (at least on paper) doesn't reek of the blatant and crass "I've got control of the IP and the trademarks and I'm going to do whatever I want with it" stench that the 2016 reboot had.   From what I've read the third film was always meant to be a 'pass the torch to the next generation' type of thing.   Doesn't really matter if it skips a generation, does it?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Paul Rudd = me seeing this movie. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Another noteworthy aspect is that Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis had always been reluctant to revisit GB unless there was a good story to tell with a good script to back it up (having learned that hard lesson from the poorly-recieved sequel).   This new film (at least on paper) doesn't reek of the blatant and crass "I've got control of the IP and the trademarks and I'm going to do whatever I want with it" stench that the 2016 reboot had.

Do you not know Akroyd and Murray were in the reboot? And Ernie Hudson. And Annie Potts. And Sigourney Weaver.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2019 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They made cameos as different characters, and Sony was going to threaten some of them with legal action if they didn't make the cameos.  (Which is detailed in the Sony email leaks from a few years ago). 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2019 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Threaten them with legal action? How does THAT work?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 December 2019 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sony didn't threaten anyone with legal action.  Their counsel only brought it up in an email as a possible avenue to "encourage" a single actor, Bill Murray, to participate.  It all came to light because of the Sony hack of a couple years ago: Link 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2019 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Do you not know Akroyd and Murray were in the reboot? And Ernie Hudson. And Annie Potts. And Sigourney Weaver.

All token cameos playing different characters.   Quite different from the 'passing the torch' GB3 script that Dan and Harold had been shopping around for years. 

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 12 December 2019 at 5:34am

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2019 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm excited for this. The first movie was great. I loved the cartoon as it had some awesome episodes that, thanks to Netflix, I still enjoy today. I really liked the movie sequel. The returning cast kept it fun and Peter MacNicol had me rolling with his character. I took my daughter to the reboot movie and we both liked it. I thought that it was a nice, fun movie. Kate McKinnon's character is my favorite, but I enjoyed all of them and you could tell Chris Hemsworth was having a ball with his role.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version