Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 12/11/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's what awaits me at the LCS.  I also have to pick up last week's stuff as I didn't get to the shop:
  • HARLEY QUINN & POISON IVY #4  - It's goofy, but I'm enjoying this title
  • HARLEY QUINN VILLAIN OF THE YEAR #1 - Not sure about this one, but it'll be for my son
  • SUPERMAN #18  - We'll see what all the hype is about.
  • AMAZING MARY JANE #3 - Definitely a weird title, but I am enjoying it.
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL #13 - So far behind on this title
  • Doom Patrol Weight of the worlds #6 - For my son.
  • Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man 14 - This title seems to come out rather sporatically.

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For whatever reason, 11 of the about 20 books I read are coming out this week:

ARCHIE 1955 #3 - Eh and Tom Grummett doesn't seem to be doing the rest of the series. I think I'm done.

BATMAN'S GRAVE #3 - Solid stuff. This issue was a little talky but it's an interesting story.

VALKYRIE: JANE FOSTER #6 - This book continues to amuse and entertain.  It just does what it wants and Jane's a great protagonist.  One of my favorite obscure Marvel characters pops up in this one too!

RAI #2 - I really like this book two issues in.  I never really got into RAI in the original Valiant Universe.  I'm not sure how this one plays into the old stuff, but it's a pretty interesting book thus far.  And I love Juan Jose Ryp's hyper detailed art.

BUFFY/ANGEL: Hellmouth #3 - I think I'm done with the new Buffy comics too. This is just long and confusing, not because it's so complex, but just because I don't care enough to remember what's going on issue to issue.

DOLLHOUSE FAMILY #2 - Good stuff. The first issue was better.

DYING IS EASY #1 - Joe Hill's doing a straight-up crime story, with no horror to be found.  I liked this.  A little chatty but it's got the right amount of grit too.

GIDEON FALLS #19 - Always solid, even if it feels a bit too far out there at this point.

RED MOTHER #1 - A solid new horror series that saves the real horror for the last couple pages.  Looking forward to the rest of it.

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #2 - Scott Snyder and Charles Soule's new book is good but it's really exposition-heavy so far.  That was inevitable given that they have a lot of alternate US history to explain but a little more action would be nice.

YOU ARE OBSOLETE #4 - I really like this book, a sort of modern tech take on something like "Children of the Corn."  

Edited by John Popa on 12 December 2019 at 8:54pm

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Detective Comics #1017- Right now, the only DC book besides Legion that I'm purchasing. It's funny how things change.

Annihilation Scourge Silver Surfer #1 and Beta Ray Bill #1- By no means a guaranteed purchase. I loved the original Annihilation minis but last weeks Fantastic Four and Nova issues weren't for me. I didn't even buy Nova after flipping through it.

Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda #4- I was turned on to this title by one of the guys at the store. I don't necessarily love the concept but the book is better than it should be IMO.

Immortal Hulk #28- Interesting where they're going with Banner's activism at this point. 

New Mutants #3- This hasn't really caught on with me yet. I like it but none of the characters feel "right" to me yet.

X-Force #3- I'm hoping that Colossus factors in a little more with this team eventually. Then I hope that he's written "correctly".

Edited by Shawn Kane on 11 December 2019 at 12:17pm

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Detective Comics # 1017 - DC's best book.

Immortal Hulk # 28 - A great book. I don't mind an exposition or talking heads issue now and again as they balance it with Hulk action next time around. Interesting to see where Bruce Banner (not the Hulk) is going.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DC: Batman's Grave #3; Doom Patrol #6, Flash Giant #2, Superman #18.
MARVEL: Captain America #17.

Edited by William Costello on 11 December 2019 at 6:18pm

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BATMAN'S GRAVE #1-3
GOTHAM CITY MONSTERS #4
OBLIVION SONG #22
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2019 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Big-ish week:

Dark Knight: The Golden Child - Nothing political in this at all, not at all... ;-)
Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds #6 - Interesting mix of art in this issue.
Superman #18 - Haven't read it yet...
Fantastic Four #17 - Haven't read it yet...
Savage Sword of Conan #12 - Haven't read it yet...
Star Wars:Doctor Aphra #40 - Last Issue before they restart the main book...
Star Wars: Target Vader #6 - Final Issue, this has been a fun mini, and it was fun to see Valance get brought back from the original marvel series after issue 108 earlier this year...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

TREES THREE FATES #4
BATMANS GRAVE #3 - looking like a 4 issue mini-series carefully squeezed into 12, but so it goes
AMAZING MARY JANE #3 - the solicit to #5 has me wondering if this is a stealth mini
BLACK PANTHER AND AGENTS OF WAKANDA #4
CAPTAIN AMERICA #17 - at least I've been able to keep Fantastic Four dropped...
SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN ALIEN REALITY #1 - another retrofest
FIVE YEARS #6

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #2 - I wanted to try this because I thought the premise sounded interesting, but more and more I think Scott Snyder just isn't for me. 

MOONSHINE #14 - A few issues behind on reading this but I enjoy it quite a bit. 

BATMAN CURSE OF THE WHITE KNIGHT #5 (OF 8) - Has anyone else noticed how much better Sean Gordon Murphy's art looks uncolored in the preview pages in the back? Seems like the colors really mute the art a lot. Anyway, really enjoying this Elsewor.. I mean Murphyverse. 

BATMANS GRAVE #3 (OF 12) - Love the Hitch art and back and forth between Bruce and Alfred is hilarious, but what is with Warren Ellis decompressing everything beyond belief? 

DOLLHOUSE FAMILY #2 (OF 6) - Best of the Hillhouse line so far.

DOOM PATROL WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS #6 (MR) - Way behind on reading this. Don't think I've read any yet to be honest.

IMMORTAL HULK #28 - This book feels like it's starting to go off the rails a bit. 

NEW MUTANTS #3 - I enjoyed this issue with these other new mutants quite a bit but seems odd to use a completely different team in the third issue (and seemingly the fourth as well).

PUNISHER SOVIET #2 (OF 6) - This is the good stuff. 

SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN #12 - Not a great issue but at least this creative team is one and done. 

Though I'd share a bit of the preview art from Curse of the White Knight by Sean Murphy. I see now why he did Punk Rock Jesus in black and white and his art is way better now than it was then. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 18 December 2019 at 6:23am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version