Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 1  

Seriously, does anybody care?
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Meghan can certainly go back to acting.  Harry can be a house-husband.  I do not know what skills he has for a day job.

In answer to JB's question though, I don't care.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3  

Somebody cares, but it ain't me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

My mother was a total royalist, as well as somewhat unconsciously racist. She’d also lived thru Mrs Simpson. I imagine something like this would have exploded her head pretty thoroughly.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have been reading plenty of news articles that are putting "blame" on Meghan for this turn of events - I think that is very unfair - we are not mind readers and Harry is a big boy who, after all his mother went through, might even be the one who pushed for this.

And, frankly, to all my British friends, the comments from the Palace have been a little disturbing.  Instead of using common sense and wishing the couple and their new family all the happiness in the world,  they are sounding like royals are prisoners who have no RIGHT to leave palace life and live their lives as they see fit - surely a HUMAN RIGHT if ever there was one.  

Queen Elizabeth of ALL people should be sympathizing with the couple - after all, before her father was thrust onto the throne, she and her parents and younger sister all LOVED their private little family life OUT of the limelight.  By all accounts her VERY shy father, who lived with a terrible stammer, absolutely DREADED the thought of being King.

Shame... and NOT on Harry and Meghan.

Marc

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

We are not mind readers, but we know Meghan cannot have married into the royal family without knowing there were expected responsibilities. And you're right that Harry is a 'big boy'. At 35, he should have made his mind up about this long ago. If he wanted out at 18 or 21 or even 25, I'd have plenty of sympathy.

However, making his mind up that he wants out after accepting the Dukedom of Sussex, after accepting the £300m in taxpayers money for his wedding, after accepting Frogmore cottage and refurbing it with public funds, seems a little like having his cake and eating it.

As does this notion of being a hybrid Royal. If they simply wanted entirely out, I can see how that's entirely their decision and they should be totally free to do it. But when they are inventing some new role for themselves, at a minimum, I would have expected them to have discussed this with the royal family first before announcing it publicly.

UK public funds are going to continue to stump up for their security and if they are choosing to live for long periods outside the UK, this seems  especially problematic. Though they say they are giving up a whole 5% of their income by not accepting funds from the Sovereign Grant, I'm sceptical about how much other funding (which they receive from Duchy of Cornwall) they will give up. And I would guess they will leverage off their Royal position to generate personal profit, which also seems problematic (for example, they have submitted trademarks for hundreds of items under the brand 'Sussex Royal'. Once again, this seems like having their cake and eating it).

No one should be forced into palace life. At the same time, it's probably not a good idea to agree to enter into palace life and accept the perks that come with it if you don't want the strings that come attached.

Edited to correct a worrying number of typos...

Edited by Peter Martin on 10 January 2020 at 1:31pm

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

I am not a Royalist but I have some sympathy for them both. I am supportive of their plans.

Some reaction to the story over here has been hysterical but it's mostly from the tabloid press who do stand to lose over this.

I had no idea that the Royals were not even allowed to publish their own private photos, such as of a child, without it being given to the select group of newspapers who could them publish it first for profit. 

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't care a lot about this, only hope that they can be happier further away from the British tabloids. But I wonder, what job can you do and accept to do when you've been raised all your life as a Royal ?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, we know one answer is helicopter pilot in the Army Air Corps. 

Paid spokesperson/patron I would guess is an angle they'll pursue.

Prince Edward tried his hand at running a television production company, but it didn't do very well and he ended up coming back to full-time royal duties.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

(for example, they have submitted trademarks for hundreds of items under the brand 'Sussex Royal'. Once again, this seems like having their cake and eating it).

----

I don't see an issue with this. There is a bunch of unapproved Harry and Meghan merchandise. If the choice is between someone else profiting off of having my face and name on a bunch of merchandise that is unapproved/counterfeit with no recourse or profiting and having control of my name and face, I know which one I would choose.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

There are also rumours that The Royal Family recently informed all of its extended members that in 2020 the organization will be streamlined. And if you are not part of the line of succession, you will be put on the second string for both duties and budget. If true, then the Sussex Royals are just getting a head start on things, and defining themselves before someone else does it for them.

But yeah, I really don't care either.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2020 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

Saw a funny meme:

Thirty-five year old father of one decides to move out of grandmother’s house.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version