Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Absence of Proof... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

...is not proof of absence.

Or so they say. This is an old, flawed premise that is used by everyone from anti-vaxxers to Bigfoot enthusiasts, and it seems the gun lobby likes it, too.

ARTICLE

Bottom line, there: just because there is no evidence for widespread use of guns in self defense does not mean MILLIONS of such cases are not occurring every year.

And to borrow from Bertrand Russell, just because it cannot be PROVEN that there is a china teapot in orbit around Saturn doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

From the article: "The average person ... has basically no
chance in their lifetime ever to use a gun in self-
defense," (David Hemenway) tells Here & Now's Robin Young.
"But ... every day, they have a chance to use the gun
inappropriately. They have a chance, they get angry. They
get scared."

My father often said the reason we didn't have a gun in the
house was because he was afaid he would use it. It made
total sense to me as a kid, but I didn't truly appreciate
his self-awareness until after he passed.

This probably has something to do with why I never fired a
gun, much less owned one. My inherited road rage alone
disqualifies me from owning a weapon! I've honestly never
had a desire to own a gun. And it was all around when we
moved to Virginia and Texas. Seeing a gun rack on a pick
up was an unusual and unsettling thing to see as a kid.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have a friend who's a gun enthusiast and subscribes to gun magazines. Each month, the letters columns contain Penthouse Forum-style accounts that start off, "Thank God I had my gun with me the morning I went to the local K-Mart..." or gas station or grade school. Inevitably, most of the accounts are light on details concerning exactly when these confrontations took place, and usually the story involves spotting a bad guy, often a black one or a "raghead," who is clearly up to no good. Our hero, the writer, catches on to what the evil guy is doing and tugs aside his jacket just enough to let the miscreant know that his days on Earth will end should he proceed with his plans. The bad guy sees the gun and knows his day is done, scampering off before the proper authorities, always so slow and behind on these things, can be notified... 

He assures me up and down that all of these stories are true, and many many more besides, but the media won't report them because "nothing happened" and of course, they're the media and we know what they're up to... But yeah, every day, every single day, hundreds of thousands of people at the K-Mart or gas station or grade school are kept safe because a hero with a gun was there to scare off the bad guy... 

Sometimes the story requires the hero to pull out the gun in a parking garage when no one else is around and talk the miscreant  down by describing the make, model, and caliber of his imminent destruction, or to rush around the back of the entryway the guy was heading towards (where no one can see him) and pulling the gun first to ward off the oncoming attack, but usually just the presence of the hero alone is enough to keep the sun shining for hundreds of otherwise dead victims that day.

My friend believes quite powerfully that he himself has a similar calming effect on the criminal element just stomping around in his camo gear and looking like the badass he so very much is with those guns all over his walls and his workbench loaded down with two or three in the works...  And there is no dissuading him.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Last night at our youth group we spoke about Columbine and other shootings.
I spoke about how some schools and churches were now allowing guns as a safety measure.

Not one of the children understood this with one shouting out very loudly 'Why don't they just ban the guns?'

The UK view of guns right there people.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2020 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I sometimes think it's amazing the gun deaths figure is as low as it is in the U.S. given how many are out there. There was no going back I don't think at some point in the Bush Jr. presidency, letting the Brady Bill regulations lapse (and I'm sure the regulations were actually job killing, one of the few things manufactured entirely in the U.S. being guns, and better to have collateral damages in lives than negative growth on profits).

Again and again the U.S. voters back 'freedom' on the gun issues one way or another. They may answer a poll that they'd like more background checks, or checks and regulations for gun show sales that have been allowed to be under different terms than a permanent business, even if the gun show is every weekend of the year in the same place, 80% of NRA members polled supported stuff like that, but the Republican and pro gun access votes are generational in many areas and families, probably NRA membership also (has it ever had any competition?).

In fantasy 'fun' war with 'fun' guns Sgt. Fury & His Howling Commandos leap up vaguely aiming their magically endless round loaded guns, cigar glued to teeth, a bowler hat on the big guy, all hollering Wah-hoo at the top of their lungs... and the reality is they'd be huge targets and wiped out in seconds. An offensive weapon even intended as defensive is only as smart as the user, and the NRA originally was about becoming smart. I think a smart gun owner would've pulled out from that organization long ago.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version