Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Trade Paperback Collections We’d Like To See Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2020 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brandon, I suspect that such a collection would only spark debate and dissension among Marvel acolytes as to which item truly should lead into which and which stories should have been left out or included. ("What? No love for Impy, the Impossible Man?" and "B-But in Piskor's 'Grand Design' it said...") 

George Olshevsky's Official Marvel Comics Indices offers a throughline for most characters, tracking their next appearances chronologically. I suspect someone somewhere has made some sort of effort ala' MARVEL SAGA to work in all of the various continuity implants, retcons, reboots, contradictions, and timeline divergences into the chronology, but their conclusions would likely not tally with someone else's.

I think that even with a collection such as you suggest, we would still be on our own to determine what "our" interpretation of what "really" happened is, what didn't, and in what order it all occurred. 

If they ever do come out with such a thing, I'm pretty certain I would read it, though! :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2020 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brain, I do expect that the order of stories would lead to much debate!  I'd be ok if the Official Marvel Indices (or any of the other timelines that people have put together) are used to determine the order. To avoid dissension, I'd also be fine if the stories were simply collected in publication order letting each reader figure out the exact order everything takes place.  If it were up to me, I would not include future flashbacks or other retroactive continuity items that were revealed in books later published. I would include all stories of those titles or features I mentioned in my previous post, even if there are some bits that may not fit that well into continuity anymore. Such a project, if done, would get more complicated the longer it ran, since Marvel's output increased over time.  I would be most interested in the very early days before it got too complicated.  I can look at various timelines and see when things were published but would love to actually see everything collected together, even if it didn't go that far forward into Marvel history. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2020 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That would be a fun, ambitious project, Brandon. I wonder if just going month-by-month in TPB form would work or if it would need to be omnibus-sized to convey the full scope of its intent.

Taking a look at Amazon, I was encouraged to see that titles such as First Issue Special and Wanted are being collected in hardcover come March and April. That's unexpected and bodes well for obscure collections yet to come. 

They're also collecting the Don Newton/Gerry Conway issues of the New Gods along with various team-up issues and the JLA-JSA crossover that kicked off George Perez's run on that book. 

And a hardcover featuring the latter issues of Mister Miracle by Steves Englehart and Gerber with art by Michael Golden and Marshall Rogers. I don't know why I didn't think of them, but those issues would definitely be ones I would have listed on this thread. The art alone on those is amazing.

A few years ago, I was at a store where the owner has fun mis-remembering my name each time I come in. It's a given at this point that he's going to confuse me with a fellow who married an attractive young woman I went to high school with. It's an ongoing bit he does, and I have no idea how much of it is done consciously on his part. A great deal, I suspect. 

In that same spirit then, when DC Direct came out with those wonderfully chunky, rough-hewn New Gods figures years ago, I asked him who they were and shrugged in feigned ignorance as he described Kirby and the Fourth World to me, incredulous that I had no idea who they were. I soon admitted I was kidding, and knew the characters and their background, then added, "But really, they were only good when Conway wrote them, don't you think?" Man, that look on his face... Haha. Good times.

Edited by Brian Hague on 05 February 2020 at 7:32pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2020 at 12:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh yeah!  Since this topic is about trade PAPERBACKS, I totally forgot--

I would LOVE TPBs of Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've got one topical collection of "Femme Fatales" and then the Darwyn Cooke and later DC stuff, but, boy, the Eisner years would be the best.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2020 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I suppose I should have opened that title up to collections of past work, regardless of binding or cover stock. 

There are a few Spirit trades out there, I believe. I know I have one featuring some of Eisner's earliest stories with the character.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2020 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yeah, but if you're including hardcovers, then practically EVERYTHING has been collected!  $70 hardcover Masterworks or Archives or $125 Omnibuses don't help me that much, as I prefer paperbacks...and not spending $5 per story!

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2020 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

i have always hoped for a "Jack Kirby" (large 400+page) hardcover of Topps: The Secret City Saga (Secret City 0-4, Captain Glory 1, Bombast 1, Nightglider 1, Satan's Six 1-4, Teen Agents 1-4 and Silver Star 1) ... and to stay on topic, add in the 2nd Satan's Six series 1-3 for a nice 2 or 3 trade paperback collection.

as at least one other has suggested, Jack Kirby's Captain Victory for Pacific in a 2 or 3 volume trade collection along with a re-issue of Silver Star (that Image put out years ago to match).

finally, a collection of Eclipse's Destroyer Duck to complement all of the above for a sorta 8 volume Jack Kirby, The Latter Years collection.

Edited by Paul Reis on 06 February 2020 at 5:55pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2020 at 1:09am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't suppose this counts as a "collection," but I keep waiting for Steranko to finish revising his CHANDLER: RED TIDE graphic novel!  I check in with the Vanguard booth every year at Comic-Con--they used to have a poster with a "coming soon" type of sign with it.  They didn't have the poster last year.

And while we're at it, I would buy a TPB of his OUTLAND adaptation in a second!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I want Steranko to finish his HISTORY OF COMICS.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2020 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As a sidelight on a chronological reading of Marvel,
there is a "Make Ours Marvel" podcast going by on sale
date; they recently covered Avengers #17 and FF #40, and
the secondary host realized Cap's Kooky Quartet were
looking for muscle, and tbe Thing had jjst walked out on
Reed... but it wasn't quite that Marvel Universe yet.

Brett C. Flechaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2020 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Reading the comments upthread about there possibly not being a 3rd Shazam Hardcover to finish out the Don Newton backups from World's Finest, has me worried about the Alan Davis Outsiders issues sans Batman. I feel like we're overdue for the 4th Hardcover and I hope DC doesn't arbitrarily stop either run simply because the venue changed from Shazam to World's Finest in the former and BATO to Outsiders in the latter.   Hopefully I'm wrong about this and it's just a longer than normal lag?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2020 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A lot of it, I fear, may have to do with whether or not the material has been collected before in some other form. If it has, then current DC editorial is usually good to go. If it hasn't, then doing so would be ha-a-ard (whines, stomps feet) and DC can't bring itself to make the effort.

Again, I find hope in the recently announced collections for Wanted and First Issue Special and very little to bolster my optimism otherwise.

I do remember enjoying those Alan Davis issues of the Outsiders. It would be great to get as much of that back out there in front of the readers as possible. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version