Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: China’s influence on Hollywood Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2020 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Some Hollywood movies have added scenes to appeal to the Chinese market. This practice is a tad bit annoying for moviegoers in other countries that may want to see the "whole" film, but there's yet more ways China is affecting Hollywood (and other businesses) all due to economic pressure. With Hollywood, the other ways China influences what we see in our entertainment is by forcing Hollywood studios to also change things that China has issues with socially and politically.

Journalist Melissa Yen spoke recently in an interview about how Marvel Studios changed the ethnicity of The Ancient One in "Doctor Strange" because of pressure from China. Most of us here likely already knew about that, but it seems this sort of thing is continuing as in the upcoming "Top Gun" sequel, China objected to some of the patches worn on Tom Cruise's character's jacket, which was carried over from the original film, and so the patches were changed to appease China.

Pretty sad state of affairs, especially considering the position of Communist China on many different matters.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You can practically trace any decision made back to the "dollar".
In Hollywood's case, gotta have the international market. Which is sad since the players are often trying to be our moral compass yet work for studios that are beholden to entities that are less than ethical.

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical...

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Cynical? No. A realist, yes.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2020 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think wanting or taking money that has Chairman Mao on it as having any value would be the epitome of selling out. I wish Nixon had never 'opened' China so-called (the last of real China connected to it's own history and unbroken culture is in Taiwan). Mousey Tongue, that bloated killer of more people on the planet through starvation (his own beloved captives) is on every denomination of their currency still last I saw. Let's do a nice accurate biopic for them on that creep they still have to walk beneath giant portraits of!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I saw the same interview with Yen that Matt did. It was on the Joe Rogan podcast. Hollywood (and the entertainment industry in general) are full of a bunch of self righteous hypocrites. Here's a link to a clip where she talked about China influencing Hollywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IKH0yVcQZA

Edited by Rick Whiting on 16 February 2020 at 10:02pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 February 2020 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...China influencing China.

•••

I would certainly hope so! ;-)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2020 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The most egregious pandering to China is when they make North Korea, rather than China, the bad guys in movies. Such as the RED DAWN remake. Its a stupid thing to do, when North Korea's military is only a threat to South Korea. Yes, they make nuclear threats all the time. But if NK tried to invade anywhere but SK, they'd have trouble getting there in the first place.

From what I understand, the drop in big budgets movies featuring ghosts, vampires and zombies is because those are not allowed in Chinese theaters. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 February 2020 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was disappointed to learn that PIXAR “de-Americas” its films for overseas release. Buzz Lightyears speech in front of the American Flag in TS2 takes place in front of a fireworks display.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version