Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 02/26/2020 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2020 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Sorry it's a day late.  Getting ready for a two week vacation, which means there may be a disruption, likely next week, as I'll be on a cruise with limited internet.  The following week I'm in LA, so posting info for March 11 won't be an issue.

Now that that rambling is done, here's what I'm getting this week

• RED SONJA VAMPIRELLA BETTY VERONICA #9 - This title is so quirky, but I really enjoy it.
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #40 - I liked the last issue, so I'm looking foward to more interactions between Spidey and JJJ
  • STAR #2 - I did like the first issue, so let's see where this goes
  • GIANT SIZE X-MEN JEAN GREY & EMMAFROST #1 - I have this as a digital download for my upcoming trip.  While I'm not following the X-Men regularly anymore, I do like the two characters, so it may be an amusing look-see.

What are you getting?  If someone wants to post next week's list, go for it.  Otherwise, if you go into this post next week and click on the What are you getting, it will automatically pull up the Week of March 1st.
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2020 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

FORCE WORKS 2020 #1: I'm enjoying this 2020 storyline more than I expected.

DYING IS EASY #3: I like this more than the Hill House books Joe is doing for DC.

KILLADELPHIA #4: I like this more than just about anything else I'm reading.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2020 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

New stuff:
SEX CRIMINALS #27
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #40
AVENGERS #31
TAROT #3

It's been five or six weeks since my last box, so an issue plus behind on all of those.

Also picked up and read the six Boys Omnibus volumes in the name of morbid curiosity and (mostly) fond memories of Hitman. Not that I didn't know what I was getting into, but the superhero "satire" stuff got to be a bit much. The stories that weren't so blatantly "let's bust on the Avengers/JLA/whatever" were much better and I thought it all came together to a pretty solid conclusion.    

Also did some back issue buying and, thanks to Mark Waid divesting some of his collection, I found three out of the five Brave and the Bolds (1955 series) I had left to go: #14,17-18. So now I just need #5 and 28. #28's easy enough to find, "just" need to stockpile the cash, but I can't find #5 anywhere (okay, one Fair copy at Mile High priced at ten times the market value, but I have my limits). I've tried a couple dozen online places, a few local dealers, eBay every other day... Ah well, maybe someday.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2020 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, forgot one:
MARVEL MASTERS OF SUSPENSE LEE & DITKO OMNIBUS HC VOL 02

The back half of the Lee/Ditko horror/mystery stories. Great to have them all together and I'm really looking forward to seeing the ones I haven't read before.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2020 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Pretty big week for me:

Olympia #4- I like this story. 

Falcon & Winter Soldier #1- I read this last night. I didn't love it because it doesn't feel like a classic Marvel book. It feels like the movie characters to me.

Giant Size X-Men #1 Jean Grey & Emma Frost #1- Hickman's X-Men aren't my X-Men but it's interesting. I hope this isn't filler.

Star Wars #3- The period that I most enjoyed in the original Marvel series was the post-Empire run. Of course this era won't have Walt Simonson, Tom Palmer, Ron Frenz, Jo Duffy, and Dave Micheline involved so I don't imagine they'll be as good.

Tarot #3- Avengers and Defenders from the classic era written by a writer I trust. I don't love the art though.

X-Force #8- Well, I've got Colossus. How he's handled will decide if I continue with this title.

X-Men #7- As stated before, I'm interested to see where this is going.

X-Men/Fantastic Four #2- So just from an observation standpoint: The X-Men are kind of the villains of this story because they want the boy with the jet black hair (Franklin) to leave his parents (the guy with a beard and the blonde lady) and come live with mutants. If Terry Dodson wasn't the artist, I'd have to pass on this mini.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2020 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Today's mutant nationalist X-Men are very different from the X-Men as they've ever been before. All (or most) of the old heroes and villains living together on Krakoa, which is developing its own mutant language, etc.. 

It's an interesting development, a clear break from the all the bad ideas of the Bendis years, but it's very far away from what Stan and Jack intended. Which Kirkman is surely aware of. 

I admit that I'm enjoying X-Men/Fantastic Four despite my unease with the new status quo for mutants in the Marvel Universe. 

I can promise that Giant Size X-Men #1 Jean Grey & Emma Frost #1 isn't filler. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2020 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, Marvel tried to sell Inhumans as the replacement for X-Men. Now the X-Men might as well be the Inhumans. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 02 March 2020 at 4:51am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2020 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I dropped X-Force and the X-Men/Fantastic Four mini. I'll stick with the main book because I feel that Hickman knows where he's going and I'm interested but I just feel like the other books are just doing their own version of what Hickman's doing. I keep telling myself that there has to be a reason why Hickman is writing the X-Men so out of character.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2020 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Marvel's Tarot #3 + previously ordered comics (DC's
Flash annual and IDW's Ghostbusters mini series ).
Long time I didn't have such a variety in my list.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version