Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 54 Next >>
Topic: COVID-19 Virus Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This topic is already infecting other threads, so I thought
we'd see how it is impacting us directly.

It started for me last week during a very busy time at
work. I was prepping an event and went to Target to get
supplies, and only then noticed that stores were being
cleaned out of sanitizer and other supplies.

Since then, everything has changed. Compeletey different
work schedule and projects I have been developing are all
on ice.

The flat-footed response by the US federal government to
test patients is causing a panic. One big inidcator that
Los Angeles is in a panic? Less traffic! I picked up a
friend from the airport during rush hour last night and had
no traffic issues. That just doesn't happen here!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’m sitting right now—lunchtime—in the deli down the road from my house. Other than staff, I’m alone.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was to drive down today and coach at the huge three day Mid East Qualifier tournament down in St Louis. The tournament, travel and rooms canceled. Strange to unpack my bags.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's a little difficult to tell what's happening here at the office. We have postponed our upcoming dealer summit from April to June, but as so much of our work calendar revolves around industry tradeshows, much of what we do in marketing is tied to decisions from the individual organizations.

There has been some talk that we'd be working from home next week, but as of now, it's just rumor.  Nothing official either on a departmental level or a higher-level HR announcement.

Since my wife works at a nursing home, I keep her appraised of health issues in my office, such as the dude who self-quarantined yesterday with a fever but is back in today.  

On a personal level, I've definitely gone from my usual "nameless, floating dread"* to a more directed anxiety, thoroughly exacerbated by what may have been the worst Oval Office address I've ever witnessed.  I can't remember where it was located, but I recall in The Stand, one of our heroes coming across graffiti that simply says "pray for us."  In the last 24 hours, that's where my head is at when I let it.

*Term courtesy Matt Groening.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 12 March 2020 at 9:38am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The incredible economic upheaval this is going to cause over the next few months is going to have more dire and lasting effects than the virus itself.  None of the businesses in my area are shutting down, but they're mostly vacant of customers, which will catch up and have the same effect eventually.  Other than big box stores, which are as packed as always with people after supplies, every other place in town I go to is a ghost town.

Brad Wilders
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The incredible economic upheaval this is going to cause over the next few months is going to have more dire and lasting effects than the virus itself.  

----

The people who die, and those whose lives may be saved by these precautions, may disagree.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's hard to me, for some reason, to realize that I am susceptible to this ailment, and that - with my situation - it could indeed very likely kill me.

After so many viruses that A) I didn't catch, and B) were overblown, it's hard for me to assign proper priority to this matter. But when I'm going out, I wash my hands more, I Purell, and I greet others with a Vulcan greeting. (Knocking shoes is not an option for me.)

It's NOT a panicked response. It is me being a little more careful, which isn't reason to panic, nor all that difficult.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My law school shut down in-person classes at least until
the end of March, so it will be all "distance" learning
work for me until then.

Around 7 AM this morning, my local grocery store had full
shelves -- by 12 Noon...? Not so much! This pandemic is
inspiring in some quarters a panic-demic.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I live in Los Angeles(and planning to move to Seattle in June). I'm at elevated risk due to Type 1 Diabetes but expect the steps I take to avoid indigenous pathogens like Skid Row Flu will protect me from COVFEFE-19.

My job has told us all to work remotely when possible. We cancelled an event last weekend, and are looking at canceling an event in May if necessary.

I went to a museum in Pasadena this past Friday, assuming attendance would be muted. Instead, it was packed. I still go to daily yoga classes. I brandish my inhaler a little bit more so people know I'm coughing due to asthma.

About half my Facebook friends are performing artists in the Northwest, and they're in straits. A couple small businesses have already closed permanently. An acquaintance of mine's father died this week.

Whenever people mention ebola or hantavirus killing well below expectations, they're forgetting those diseases were contained through the work and leadership of a functional US government. This is the first time in my life that major cities are shutting down.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I was supposed to be in Israel this week, Slovenia next. I’m going to
neither.
Very strange times
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The people who die, and those whose lives may be saved by these precautions, may disagree. 
--------------------------------
Dead people tend to not be disagreeable.  People who can't work and therefore get evicted, small businesses that end up closed permanently, people who end up unemployed...those are long-lasting pain and misery.  Maybe you're in a situation where you can go three months without work without significant financial trouble.  The vast majority of people out there aren't.  Not to mention the healthcare related debt this is going to generate for infected people. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2020 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Of course, these issues are being addressed....

My job here in NYC is preparing for the likelihood of employees working from home... which I'm more than capable of doing.

I hope everyone does their best to keep themselves and those around them safe. Getting the right information is crucial right now.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 12 March 2020 at 12:32pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 54 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version