Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What does “outlined by” even mean?? 

Drafted? I can't think of the word.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I loved the covers for the '80s Doctor Strange Classics series that reprinted a run of Ditko from Strange Tales... a Doctor Strange: Chapter One would have been a must-buy, especially with Milgrom inks. I also remember the unpublished Charlton story by Ditko finished by JB... and that was like finding pure gold!

Somehow I thought I had all the Spider-Man: Chapter One series until I happened upon the mention of an #0. I got it but it seemed harder to find, sort of like that one regular Spider-Man title that intersected with The Lost Generation. But that was demand from both Spider-Man collectors and Lost Generation readers I'd guess, did they print fewer of #0 I wonder? Maybe I just hit it wrong timing-wise in trying to find a copy (that wasn't slabbed or otherwise steep in price).

I would add I sometimes think I see Toth in JB's inks, although mainly in backgrounds and the arrangements of blacks, or they could just be similar/have had similar influences. Also a bit of Gil Kane structure under things, and he was so solid at that. If I could draw the basics like Kane I'd feel I was super-powered! His later inking was also very cool in that minimal Toth-like way, but he lacked a bit in facial expressions if I want to be very critical. I think I liked Ditko as much for his expressive characters as anything.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version