Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The sad thing is that he never had an extended run on anything and so much of his work is "off to the side."

TWILIGHT?  Yeah, couldn't finish it.
ATARI FORCE?  I missed it and it's likely never to be reprinted.
DC STYLE GUIDE?  Probably the best art that most people will never see.
BATMAN VS. THE HULK?  (Golden Age) SUPERMAN VS. WONDER WOMAN?  BATMAN '66 Two-Face Special?  HERCULES UNBOUND (inked by Wally Wood!)?  All out of continuity and rarely seen.

As a kid, I loved the Curt Swan SUPERMAN and the only guest artist that was welcome to me was JLGL--but he was mostly inked badly there.

The first four issues of DC COMICS PRESENTS were the best, but then he left.  Same thing when he took over NEW TEEN TITANS.  DEADMAN was only a mini.

I seem to recall reading that perhaps he was not fast enough to do a regular series, which is understandable.  If so, I would have loved to have seen at least one good mini-series or graphic novel a year.

If anybody missed it, DC's last THE SPIRIT series had a number of 8-page back-up stories by big names and JLGL's was glorious.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 03 April 2020 at 1:47pm
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...but then he left.  Same thing when he took over NEW TEEN TITANS.

=======================================================

What kind of softened the blow of losing Perez and then JLGL on NTT was the addition of the late Eduardo Barreto, who had a very similar style to JLGL.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eric, you can get his Hercules run collected in Showcase Presents: The Great Disaster. Featuring The Atomic Knights. (If you don't mind B&W)

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If people are a big fan of his Superman works, then DC put together two volumes of all the JLGL issues under the "Adventures of Superman" banner.

Much as I am a fan of the Curt Swan Superman, there was just something about Gil Kane or JLGL doing a few issues that bumped things up to a whole other level.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One of my favourite images by JLGL from Superman # 347

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I have been fortunate enough to meet Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez several times over the years at conventions. He comes across as a genuinely good person. JLGL always remembers me, because he's seen the photos of my pet turtle on Facebook, and he also has a pet turtle. Every time I see him at a show he asks how my turtle is doing.

Here's a photo I took with JLGL at New York Comic Con about a decade ago...

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

...Superman 347...

•••

I own the original to the page right before that one. Gorgeous!

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Greg McPhee's post reminds me that I really need to order a copy of the Adventures of Superman: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez Volume 2 hardcover. I missed out on getting the first volume, in which Superman #347 is reprinted, and now it's out of print and hard to find, so I don't want that to happen again!

Edited by Ben Herman on 03 April 2020 at 5:20pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sr. Garcia-Lopez did have a pretty fair run (five? six?) stories with Deadman, following Jim Aparo in Adventure Comics, and a DC Comics Presents team-up as well. All EXCELLENT art!

I noted his Superman art immediately, and it took a little time to get used to it - but my favorite artist was Curt Swan, so everybody took a little getting used (even Mr. Byrne.) 

Of course, his art tightened up as time passed, and I liked it more and more. Whenever I find a "nugget" of it, I try to collect it. My favorite part of his art is capes... gracious, what he does with Superman and Batman and Robin!

I might very possibly collect a current comic were he to do the art.

TANGENT: If you can find "DC Showcase presents the Great Disaster, featuring The Atomic Knights", it is a HONEY! The Atomic Knights is a sci-fi series by John Broome and Murphy Anderson that is simply a pinnacle of DC's science fiction stories (maybe subordinate to Adam Strange and Hawkman... but I love it.) You get the Hercules stories, which turn out to be rather fun, and a couple Superman stories. It is a GREAT collection.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric, you can get his Hercules run collected in Showcase Presents: The Great Disaster. Featuring The Atomic Knights. (If you don't mind B&W)

I got the originals in the dollar boxes my local comic shop is nice enough to keep fully stocked with stuff going back to the 70's or even older!

JLGL & Wally Wood followed by Walt Simonson--it's a pretty nice little art showcase!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2020 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Though the book was not exactly well written, I loved his work in Atari Force.  I also thought he did one of the better DC/Marvel crossovers with Batman vs Hulk.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Kevin,

You must get a copy of the DC/Marvel crossover: SUPERMAN VS WONDER WOMAN - it has some amazing JLGL artwork!

Narc

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version