Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You must get a copy of the DC/Marvel crossover: SUPERMAN VS WONDER WOMAN - it has some amazing JLGL artwork.

•••

But it’s NOT a DC/Marvel crossover!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

..Superman 347...

•••

I own the original to the page right before that one. Gorgeous! 

=======================================================

Excellent.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

UGH! you are right, JB.  My huge blunder!!

Thanks,
Marc

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I wonder if I would've bought Atari Force with any other artist on it... maybe some, but it was definitely 90% the art that sold me! People have said so-and-so singer could sing the telephone directory and you would like it; Jose Garcia-Lopez could draw Brother Power The Geek or B'wana Beast and you would like it! :^)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just took a look at Superman vs. Wonder Woman and it seems to me that JLGL was not paired with a complimentary inker on that project.  You could see his work on display but many of the faces and details seemed sloppy. 

I assume he wasn't inking himself on that one but the credits don't list pencils and inks just JLGL and Adkins as the artists.  Compared to say, Atari Force, the inking looks far less precise.  Hopefully it's not just my imagination.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JLGL did a 3 part story arc for Batman: Confidential #'s 26 - 28 where he was paired with Kevin Nowlan as his inker. I thought they were a good match.

Cover for # 28

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for posting that Batman, I'm going to have to check it out.  JLGL has also (sort of) recently done a JLA and JLA Classified arc.  The latter, inked by Phillips, is pretty good.  The former, inked by Jansen, was a terrible pairing IMO.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've read the JLA Classified arc. Janson inked the 1st 3 parts and then Phillips took over for the last 2.

And, yeah, Janson and JLGL were not a good match.

A good match was Romeo Tanghal on his short stint on the NTT.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

About 5 years ago, I bought some DC-themed coins from the Canadian mint and the art on the packaging and the coins was (I'm fairly sure) by Garcia-Lopez (though I've never actually checked on that -- confident there's no mistaking though). Really beautiful stuff.

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2020 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's the aggravating thing. JLGL's licensing artwork shows up practically everywhere, on all manner of products, but most people have no idea who drew it. He really deserves much greater recognition.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gordon Somers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2020 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Big admirer of Garcia-Lopez - worth checking out the Modern Masters book about his work.

I would recommend his Road to Perdition books (he did 2) as well as pretty much everything everyone has mentioned. He is an artist you can't go wrong with (and I am so so jealous of Fred Chamberlain who seems to have cornered the market in JLGL originals!)

Oh and not to forget he can turn in some pretty darn good inking jobs - Teen Titans Annual #2 anyone? Inks over a certain Mr Byrne....

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2020 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was an "early adopter" of JLGL work, catching on when he was a rare treat, doing covers and DC Presents issues, etc. I fell in love with his graceful figures, beautiful looking characters etc., especially his depictions of Superman, Lois, and gang that leaped off the page and captured the Superman the Movie type cast that was topical at the time. While I appreciate the workman like quality of Curt Swan and his incredible output, iconic in its own way, JLGL work was poetic and advanced, in a way Neal Adams was a generation before, but stylized and romantic, as opposed to photo realistic. I loved how JLGL was sort of an "unknown" at the time, and his work was sporadic. You had to wait for it and it was hard to know where he would show up, and when. Then of course the "word" got out and he became more popular, did more work, Atari Force and so on. I really loved those covers, rare Superman books and DC Presents. At an early Southern California con, I met him (a thrill of a lifetime) and he was every bit the gentleman. I paid for a commission of a pencil Robin, inspired by his brilliant work on DC Presents. Quite a quick drawing. Nice to see how much Mr Byrne loves his work, and how my appreciation was not unique. To me, his work, along with other "lesser known" artists such as Esteban Maroto, Jose Gonzalez, etc. are among the premier works in the genre. Appreciate this thread. Stay safe, all.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version