Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Non-American comic suggestions, please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2020 at 2:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Of course none of these would qualify as superhero comics...
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2020 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

So sticking to the brief, how about:

Paul Grist's Jack Staff or Mudman. British superheroes by a British creator (albeit published by Image, although the early Jack Staff issues were self-published in the UK). His style is a bit cartoony for some but I find it really readable. Jack Staff was his reworked pitch to Marvel for a Union Jack series.

Leopard of Lime Street. Collected British strip from the late 70s and early 80s. Derivative of Spider-man and very much of its time, sure, but good fun nonetheless.

Zenith. Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but collected from the 2000AD strip, this is Grant Morrison's love letter to the British superhero. The first arc is straight up superhero action, but later book (re)introduces pretty much every superhero that appeared in 70s and 80s British comics.

Saltire. Can't recommend this as I have not read it (yet) but a Scottish hero by a Scottish creative team.

Saviour. Mark Millar is not to everyone's tastes but this is his first published work. The first five issues are collected and follows a superhero that is actually the devil. I have the first five issues and the collection, but for some reason missed issue six which would have been the start of the next story arc.

And, moving off the brief slightly, if you want to practice your German, ASH (literally Austrian Superheroes) is really good fun. A Marvel-sized book (which has now been collected, I think) features the titular Austrian team. I've got several issues from my travels - its issues are now in the 20s and still going.

Edited by Matthew Wilkie on 10 April 2020 at 4:03am

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2020 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My recommendation is for Night Raven, which was an original Marvel UK character featured in a weekly Hulk comic. A collected TPB is available (art by David Lloyd and in later issues, the superb John Bolton). 
Very pulpy, and certainly worth checking out.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2020 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Night Raven is a good shout (and a part-influence on Lloyd's seminal work on V For Vendetta).

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2020 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Im currently re reading the few Storm (Don Lawrence) books I have. Old fashioned and all but still great stuff...I’ll try to buy the ones I don’t have yet as soon as possible...they were published in the 80s in France in nice 46 page hardcover books in France and I can find them second hand quite cheap as these are not highly regarded by collectors in France...the fools !

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2020 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here are the 4 I have so far

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2020 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I had one of those Storm books (#2), but it was in either German or Nederlandse. I remember the girl was called Rood Haar anyway. It was a barbarian in a post-apocalyptic future encountering some tech based characters sometimes. Don Lawrence also did 'The Mercenary' which ran in English Heavy Metal magazine in the early '80s.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2020 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I read Don Lawrence was ripped off by his British publisher so he moved to the Netherlands to continue his career. So Storm could be considered a Dutch creation...and sorry to contradict you on the Mercenary. I happen to be a great fan of this series, similar in the way both sci fi and fantasy co exist, but The Mercenary was by Segrelles, a Spanish artist and writer...who used ultra realistic aerograph. Much sleeker and cleaner than Don Lawrence but also much colder and stiffer... 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes, you are right. I should have checked and not trusted my brain! :^)

I guess I had them mentally filed together all this time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version