Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: The Last Dance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

They did a BAD BOYS 30 for 30
The one narrated by Kid Rock, right? It was good. I'm talking something that goes deeper dish, though; 3 or more hours should suffice.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

the Chief sucker punched Laimbeer twice and wasn't even thrown out of the game.
Again... absolutely dirty play, but you have to realize what precipitated it, which was Laimbeer hands and elbows smacking the faces of various Celtics. Laimbeer also liked to slide his foot under players as they landed after jumpers and twisted Parish's ankle repeatedly with this move. Like McHale, Parish was a guy who had zero rep for dirty play (if anything, he was known for being rather mellow; his worst habit was probably smoking too much pot) but it seems he finally reached his boiling point. Not saying it was right, but the refs were aware of what was happening on the floor and seemingly took that into account in similar "two wrongs make a right" fashion. Ultimately the NBA office did suspend Parish for a game afterwards though.

Edited by Rick Senger on 03 May 2020 at 11:53pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So teams had "enforcers" to keep the heat of their star players.
Absolutely, and the Celtics have definitely followed this formula in multiple decades. It still goes on even in our "soft" present league. Unless you have someone who can make the opposing team think twice about driving the lane (and about picking on your stars), it's very hard raise the Larry O'Brien. I still maintain, however, that the Pistons took the physicality farther than just refusing to back down and committed a lot more unnecessarily hard / dirty fouls than they should have.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And lastly, I agree the Pistons team as a whole wasn't dirty. The "no layup" rule is an admirable goal and they had a talented squad who hustled and scrapped. I loved Chuck Daly who would have been a natural in Boston. I just don't like what Laimbeer and Mahorn and at times Rodman were up to.   I didn't like Isaiah's comments about Bird being overhyped because he was white (he only walked it back because he had to) and I didn't much like John Salley either. At least Salley stayed on the court to congratulate the Bulls when they won. Ultimately I wound up liking Rodman when he played for the Bulls and Lakers, though, and Mahorn was also a guy whose game I could appreciate because he was more than just a bruiser. So I guess it's mostly about Laimbeer in the end. Yeah, he had an outside shot but nobody will ever convince me that guy isn't among the vilest creeps ever to suit up.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of enforcers, probably the worst play I ever seen live was from Karl Malone.
The set up, Stockton gets picked over Isiah Thomas for the "Dream Team" (thanks to petty MJ). Soon after the announcement Isiah shows who is more deserving by ripping Utah for 44 points. About a month later Detroit goes to Utah where Malone decides to give Isiah a sharp elbow and 40 stitches for showing up his man Stockton.
Back to Top profile | search

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There were a lot fo hard fouls in the history of the game and by pure luck many times the players didn't get hurt badly. One if the toughest I think it was from Kevin Mchale to Kurt Rambis during a fast break. And what it shows is how tough were the players back in those days, Rambis got up immediately and run at Mchale. Nowadays players would be rolling in the floor forn some minutes.

Laimbeer as Rick said was on a league of this own, and maybe the player who was hit in the face the most, because of his methods. Once he almost ended the career of Pat Ewing, he duck under his knees whioe he was in the air.

Edited by Giorgos Goumas on 04 May 2020 at 7:43am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The set up, Stockton gets picked over Isiah Thomas for the
"Dream Team" (thanks to petty MJ).

====

One could argue that Thomas's style of play goes against a
lot of what the Olympics is supposed to stand for.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

what it shows is how tough were the players back in those days, Rambis got up immediately and run at Mchale. Nowadays players would be rolling in the floor forn some minutes.
This! You could almost do a half hour on that one play. First, if Rambis stays down, rolls around moaning and feigns injury, the refs surely would have had to toss McHale as the game was in Inglewood and Kurt was beloved. If McHale is gone, the Lakers probably win the series because they were already up 2-1 and had the lead. But back in that era, players weren't about flopping and acting and selling fouls, they were were about answering the physical challenge and winning (or losing) based on that response.

Also, Boston was fortunate Rambis was no pansy. He immediately jumped up like he was on a trampoline and sprinted straight at McHale, which showed the play hadn't hurt him. Rambis later admitted that had James Worthy not intervened and diverted him away from McHale, he surely would have popped McHale and gotten ejected, himself. Worthy said he could see the blood in Kurt's eyes and it's possible he prevented serious mayhem. I'd also note that if you look at the tape, Bird is the peacemaker who goes over and picks up Rambis and checks up on him after Worthy's push made Rambis fall again. Bird was typically extra combative in the playoffs and wasn't a guy who generally helped other players up in that setting (and refused to be helped up by opponents.) But he knew the Celtics needed to make a gesture. A little thing, but definitely a good split second decision that helped defuse a tense situation.

The other thing I'd say about the play is that its severity depends on the angle from which you see it. From under the basket head on, because of the diagonal angle of McHale's arrival the play looks bad as McHale seems to come out of nowhere and target Rambis in a football type take down. But if you look at it from the side and see the whole play develop, I think it's a lot clearer that McHale was merely trying to restrain Rambis on the fastbreak in order to make him earn the bucket from the line rather than on a layup. I'm sure he meant to give him a solid foul, but it was way out of McHale's makeup to do what happened. Unfortunately, Rambis unexpectedly slid down so McHale caught Rambis much higher than he intended and instead of wrapping his upper torso he got him on the neck. I'm sure Celtics and Lakers fans will forever dispute what happened but whatever your view, this was a damn compelling Finals moment. The Play

Edited by Rick Senger on 04 May 2020 at 11:06am

Giorgos Goumas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Great analysis Rick! I agree with all that you said. About the foul, I neither believe that he intended to hit him in the neck, but at that speed he should had known that he couldn't control the outcome. Thankfully not any major injury, but as many others its a millisecond or mm to something real severe.
By the way, McHale was great with amazing footwork and Larry is maybe my favorite player.  Lots of great characters in those teams!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks Giorgos. I'm glad McHale's play didn't hurt anybody and agree it was reckless though I think unintentional. Here's more on Bird v. Laimbeer The Beef

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

the worst play I ever seen live was from Karl Malone.
The set up, Stockton gets picked over Isiah Thomas for the "Dream Team" (thanks to petty MJ). Soon after the announcement Isiah shows who is more deserving by ripping Utah for 44 points. About a month later Detroit goes to Utah where Malone decides to give Isiah a sharp elbow and 40 stitches
I've always wondered about that play. The TV angle made it look somewhat benign to me as Malone makes a normal looking move on the ball before Isaiah ducks under and catches Malone's elbow follow thru flush on the face. On the replay it's definitely a full wind up though and Malone's body slams Thomas' in what was clearly a message being delivered (the game had barely started after all). And 40 stitches don't lie. Where were you sitting and what did it look like in person? 40 Stitches And An Elbow

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2020 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That fucking color commentator. Well, you really cant tell if it was
intentional or not. Bullshit. Its quite plain to see.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version