Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: BATWOMAN....lmao!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apparently Ruby Rose has quit, so if there's a season two of BATWOMAN, they'll be recasting the lead.

I think they should cast Rachel Skarten as Kate......

Edited by Brian Floyd on 19 May 2020 at 10:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I gave up on it after the first couple of episodes even though it's on right before Supergirl which I still follow. I saw one of the animated shows with Batwoman and liked it better than this live action version, she had more character to her! The whole crazy not dead sister Alice thing seemed to be way too much of every story. Couldn't they use any of the Batman villains everyone knows? You have them, Gotham, and the extended Batman and Justice League 'families' for strength. Instead we just got generic tough girl heroine and insane nemesis x 20, other than the Crisis crossover where I thought the character was handled better interacting with known characters. I'd much rather watch the '60s Batgirl... that cycle was damn cool and she was just more... fun! Okay, the Biff and Pow crap was a pain, plus a bit of darkness sometimes and more less than 45 degree angle shots would've helped. I don't even think Yvonne Craig was a very good actress, but as a kid I would watch the same show for a third time if Batgirl was appearing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My wife and I just watched the Season One Finale tonight, and the news just broke tonight. My wife is a big fan of Ruby Rose from her days in Netflix's Orange Is the New Black.

While I haven't read all of the DC Batwoman comics (Some were in the 52 Weekly series from DC, some were in Detective Comics, and then Batwoman's own series), I thought Ruby Rose fit what I thought DC's version was like. However, I guess there were a lot of people that felt - different:

"Rose faced immediate backlash on social media after she was cast and would eventually quit Twitter, although she remains active on Instagram."

I don't follow social media,so I didn't know there was such a backlash. Ruby Rose seem to fit the part that Greg Rucka and Steve Epting set up when Batwoman was rebooted.

Saying that, I found the series premises and the season one development to be very convoluted and, at times, almost nonsensical.
The premise was that Batman "disappeared" three years ago, and that this entity called Crows Security came in to "assist" Gotham City with its crime problem. Jacob Kane, Kate Kane's father, is head of Crows Securities; that premise is much different from the comics. I would be OK with that if I knew (1) who in Gotham brought in Crows Securities and why, and (2) what happened to Batman? 

The CW series never explored those two starting points. It spent a lot of time on the Mad Alice story line, which was somewhat similar to the comics, but then I think the CW series tried to make Mad Alice the new Joker for Batwoman.

IMO, loads of hanging threads in the Season One story line, and I really thought the season didn't made a lot of - sense. I don't know if that has anything to do with Ruby Rose's departure, but I guess we will find more information in the months ahead.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Much of what William has posted rings true. The whole plotline with Alice went on for too long, and the Crows are more ineffective than the GCPD.

I was not kidding about my suggestion that Rachel Skarsten should replace Ruby Rose. For one thing, she's a much better actress. They could do the change by having a villain switch Kate and Alice's minds, only for Alice to die in Kate's body. Kate would then have to go into hiding until she can prove who she is, and only go out as Batwoman.

Right now, I have the last 3 episodes DVR'd and am in no hurry to watch. I may just end up deleting them and removing the show from recording. 

(I kind of wish they'd either replace Dougray Scott or kill off his character. Hard to believe he was the original choice to play Wolverine, and not Hugh Jackman. He seriously lacks charisma.)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I ended up enjoying Batwoman a lot more than I was expecting from the initial episodes, and I thought the season ended strong.

I did think the Alice storyline went on too long, but she was also the central focus of the first year of the Batwoman comics, so it was hewing close to the source material

The other issue is that Rachel Skarsten is probably the best actor in the cast, so as much as the Alice storyline dragged, I wouldn't want to see her leave the show. I thought they missed an opportunity by killing off the Beth doppelgänger.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Last night I did delete the episodes I had DVR'd and cancelled future recordings. I watched a bit of the latest episode, and was put off by two things: Alice still being around, and Hush looking extremely low budget. When Negative Man from the DCUniverse Doom Patrol show looks more realistic.....!

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I’m about 6 episodes behind and plan to finish the season, but add me
as another fan of Skarsten. Not only is she the best actor in the show,
she also seems to not act in a typical CW-show way if that makes
sense. I’m more engaged in the show when she’s on screen.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian, why are you laughing your ass off at this news?

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have also thought that Alice drug on far too long. I
get that she was the season big-bad and main story arc.
But did she have to be the focus of every single
episode? I also have three episodes left. I'll watch
them, and I will likely check out next season. But,
largely I'm watching it in the background as I work from
home.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My wife really wanted to watch Batwoman more that I did. Outside of DC's Legends of Tomorrow, which, IMO is the best CW DC Arrowverse show right now (but it's not really a DC superhero show, if that makes any sense.), I don't watch many of the CW DC Universe shows.

I don't watch the CW DC shows that much now because some of the overall plotting and character development doesn't seem very consistent and, at times, almost contradicts earlier stories. Batwoman's plotting didn't hang together for me at all

Saying that, though, Rachel Skarsten is very good. I think the show missed a big opportunity to explore Alice's character and Beth's character when Beth was introduced after the CW Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover. A lost opportunity, IMO. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I wouldn't laugh about this. Even overlooking all the online hate, she also suffered a near crippling back injury as a result of taking on this role. They may be downplaying the effect this has had on her, (maybe because it would unfairly impact her chance at future roles) but speaking as someone who's had a back injury- it's no joke! And you don't just walk it off. I would bet good money that the lingering effects of it have been a major factor in this decision.

Not everybody is as suited to a punishing 20+ episode commitment involving constant action/fight scenes as Stephen Amell made it look. Indeed from speaking to Willa Holland, I got the distinct impression that the demanding fight scenes on Arrow were also one of the factors in her departure as well. And she wasn't even the starring character.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian, why are you laughing your ass off at this news?

++++++++++++++++++++

Because its funny the lead quit, AND anyone they cast will likely be an improvement.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version