Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 28 Next >>
Topic: George Floyd Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The destruction of blameless people`s livelihoods is not the answer. I have no answer, but maybe some respected black celebs/musicians could ask for non-violent protests? 

--

"The destruction of blameless people's livelihoods" has transpired every day in this country for hundreds of years, leading directly to this week. 

And it is not black celebrities' problem to solve.

I have no answer either, but maybe some respected white lawmakers could legislate reparations for stolen Black wealth, a restoration of the Voting Rights Act, push for police departments to serve communities of color instead of preying on them, restore restrictions on predatory lending and at the very least, expand the Affordable Care Act. 

Maybe some respected white college presidents, athletic directors and coaches who draw massive salaries in a billion-dollar industry to coach unpaid Black players could ask for fairer hiring practices for Black coaches. Maybe some respected white sports team owners could use player protest as an opportunity for dialogue instead of blackballing them.

Maybe some respected aspirational White prosecutors might listen to black community leaders when they plead for these authorities to balance tough-on-crime rhetoric with law enforcement accountability.

Maybe some respected White corporate leaders could be asked not to put millions of dollars routinely backing legislation which disproportionately hurts communities of color.

Maybe all that and more could happen so some respectable White folk could respectfully address the daily systematic disrespect of poor people/people of color, who might then feel invested in-- rather than repeatedly betrayed by--the system. 

This might result in a potentially better outcome the next time citizens of all races collectively get PTSD the next time an authority figure is filmed snuffing the life out of a black man on the street. At the very least, I believe it to be a more comprehensive strategy than begging Beyonce to save your local Safeway. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If ever we needed a "like" or "love" button, this would be the time.  Thanks, DJ.  Insightful as always. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Kaepernick simply took a knee to protest this very same garbage and America lost its shit!

HE. TOOK. A. KNEE.

So I can’t say that the current reaction to the murder of George Floyd is too much.  Because when the reaction is passive...and peaceful...its too much then as well.  

Bullies hate it when the people they bully fight back.  Thats Americas problem in a nutshell. 

And it turns out many of the more violent “protestors” are implanted instigators who are seeking to make the protests as violent as possible.  Maybe they are working to craft a narrative on behalf of the right wing.  Maybe they are just out for a thrill.  You can find dozenS of video of peaceful (often black) protestors stopping or trying to stop (often white) “protestors” from smashing out windows and setting fires.   Officials in Minneapolis said that nobody they arrested on the first night of violence was from Minneapolis!

Ive said it before.  America is STRAINING to go back to its true nature.  Racism is part of America’s DNA.  We might have spent the past 100 years or so trying to rewrite the code.  But its pretty damn clear to me that too many folks in this country were NEVER outraged at racism and economic injustice or at the very least AWARE enough of it to truly care.  

We have a President (!) who embodies White Supremacy.  He is making policies and running (ruining) the nation based on it.  And he has millions of supporters...and may win reelection.  If this country was what it pretends to be...he wouldn’t be anywhere near Washington DC except as a tourist.

A man was murdered by a cop in full view of bystanders and witnesses.  He did so while nonchalantly keeping his hands in his pocket...and other cops stood by and kept people from intervening.  

This happened in 2020.  Not 1820.  Who the hell is REALLY free around here?

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 01 June 2020 at 7:37am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The riots are self-defeating. By the end of this, the government will be heavily dependent on the police for its own survival. The government will have to give in to whatever the police unions demand, including the protection of abusive cops. I wouldn't be surprised if the killers of George Floyd escape punishment. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 01 June 2020 at 7:41am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There is a long...long precedent of cops being let off the hook from the legal system for the killing of unarmed people.  There would be no shock whatsoever if he was acquitted.  But you could expect the public reaction to be “energetic” to say the least.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

George Floyd's autopsy's troubling finding that there were no signs of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation despite overwhelming video and audio evidence to the contrary is how this case may wind up in acquittal. The family is obviously seeking a second independent autopsy but if this case doesn't end with a guilty verdict, the Rodney King / OJ / Watts riots will seem like picnics in comparison.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If those cops are acquitted, the riots of 1968 will be a "walk in the park" .

12 times the President had to call in the National Guard domestically. I believe 10 of those were with issues of race.

The cop who killed George Floyd is currently being charged with 3rd degree murder. Personally, that's total bullshit.

If the folks who have any sway of making things better for black and brown people in this country do not step up to the plate, then this is going to get worse.

Unlike white people in this country, me and my family don't automatically get the benefit of the doubt of innocence when eyes are set upon us.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wouldn't be surprised if the killers of George Floyd escape punishment. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Won't happen. Their identities have been made known. If they escape punishment from the law, they'll end up getting it from the public. At least two of them, especially the one who knelt on his neck, apparently had several complaints lodged against them in the past that were completely ignored. No disciplanary actions or reprimands whatsoever. That particular police department needs a good cleaning out. Heads need to roll.

I do not support the rioting. The rioters are just trash using the situation as an excuse to commit crimes and have even vandalized and destroyed property of people who have nothing whatsover to do with it. 

In another case of a cop who needs to be tossed in prison, a police officer in South Carolina tried to pull over a speeder who ignored the flashing lights and sirens, and followed the car until the driver pulled over. The driver got out and the cop was quick to shoot according to witnesses because the man was making weird gestures.

The `weird gestures' were American Sign Language, because he was deaf.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 01 June 2020 at 8:57am

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My first wife was a police-officer. One of things that she said to me early on was that the folks that she told me that always stuck in my mind:

The power that is bestowed upon us is really stupid. I get to carry a gun in public and have to make decisions in a split second that could take a person's life.

A barber has to go to school for a year to be licensed to cut hair. I hold the power of someone's life after 4-5 months of training with some people that have no business carrying a gun, let alone to have it in their home period.

Dog Bless America

Edited by James Johnson on 01 June 2020 at 9:42am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

History rhymes...99 years ago today white mobs burned and looted Tulsa, Oklahoma... remembered as the Tulsa race massacre for all the black people killed. :^(

https://www.tulsahistory.org/exhibit/1921-tulsa-race-massacr e/

"In a span of just 24 hours, 35 square blocks were burned and over 1,200 houses destroyed. Contemporary reports of deaths began at 36, but historians now believe as many as 300 people died, according to the Tulsa Historical Society and Museum." - CNN

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 01 June 2020 at 11:51am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

IF that cop is found guilty and IF he’s sent to prison, I’d say he won’t be
there very long.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2020 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Former police are almost always kept separate from the rest of the population.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 28 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version