Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.12--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now, as a (slightly more mature) fan of storytelling, it is the skilled conveyance of the inner feelings of characters using their body language: these uncertain hands and arms are a delight - kudos to you John!

••

Thanks. When I was starting out I realized I would never be able to capture Kirby's power, or Ditko's quirkiness, or Neal's photorealism, so I looked around for something that could be my own signature, and I settled on subtlety.

Kinda crazy, in a medium like comics, but I really enjoy the body language, the bend of a knee, the turn of a wrist.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Although I would have been ok with Lilandra as the dark phoenix host, I have to say that seeing Jean back as dark phoenix just feels more satisfying somehow (like getting the cherry on top of an already delicious ice cream sundae). Maybe its because we've sorta been waiting (without knowing it in a way) for JB to be drawing these characters again after such a long time.

Only waiting on one more thing, that would make this perfect for me, but I'd understand if the story doesn't go that way. But if it did, Oh my!

Anyway, it's a real treat.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Re-reading these issues certainly is rewarding. I'm catching things I didn't the first time, and indeed, there is a lot of nuance in these expressions and postures.
I'd encourage artists from beginners to veteran professionals to read ELSEWHEN; this is a class in how to tell a story.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also noting the essential cruelty of the Phoenix entity, in that it egged Lilandra on into destroying her closest and most loyal friends, devastating her homeworld, and then seeking out Earth, only to be dumped as soon as the Phoenix got what it wanted: Jean.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Being a force of Nature Phoenix, as I see it/her, is mostly uncaring, tho that can lead to cruelty. The cruelty of an earthquake or a hurricane.

A lot like Galactus in that respect.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Kinda crazy, in a medium like comics, but I really enjoy the body language, the bend of a knee, the turn of a wrist.
-----------------------------------------
This is one of the many things that has always appealed to me about your artwork
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
Also noting the essential cruelty of the Phoenix entity, in that it egged Lilandra on into destroying her closest and most loyal friends, devastating her homeworld, and then seeking out Earth, only to be dumped as soon as the Phoenix got what it wanted: Jean.

Interesting that you read it that way. My impression, based on captions on pages 16 & 17 and her dialogue on page 18, was that once the Phoenix entity had possessed Lilandra it realised her shortcomings and then decides to go after the copy of Jean.

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 01 July 2020 at 9:54am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB: Being a force of Nature Phoenix, as I see it/her, is mostly uncaring, tho that can lead to cruelty. The cruelty of an earthquake or a hurricane.

That's really interesting. It's also in keeping with how you've described the Phoenix in the past. We humans tend to ascribe descriptions like "cruelty" to something like the Phoenix when, as you say, it simply doesn't care.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

RM: Interesting that you read it that way. My impression, based on captions on pages 16 & 17 and her dialogue on page 18, was that once the Phoenix entity had possessed Lilandra it realised her shortcomings and then decides to go after the copy of Jean.

Another good reason to re-read this series at my leisure. 
I took it more as the Phoenix needed a vessel, subverted Lilandra, used a whole lot of force to get out of Shi'Ar space, and went after Jean for reasons of its own. 
Lilandra was only a tool to be used. I didn't think it saw Lilandra as a viable partner, but that's just my interpretation.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2020 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I have been LTTP on reading these but holy crap this is exceptional. Back in the 80's JB got shit for bring Jean out of the Bay in the FF but I never had an issue with it. This story is beautifully done and the last page of 12 startled me.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2020 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Back in the 80's JB got shit for bring Jean out of the Bay in the FF but I never had an issue with it.

••

Most people didn't, based on the mail. But those who did were LOUD!!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 July 2020 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hmmm...

Looking ahead, it seems like there's going to be a big "drought" upcoming if I stick to my First Monday policy. Altho the first Monday in August is only a weekend after the last day of July, the first Monday in September is 10 days after the end of August.

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version