Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: Bye Bye Jemima Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wow.  I mean...just...wow.  So much wrong to parse that I'm going to have to take some time.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
So, what is it that's racist about the current marketing?

Calling a Black woman "Aunt" for a start. Like Black men were called "Uncle". They were called that because they didn't "deserve" to be called "Mr" or "Mrs".  That was reserved for "proper" White folk.  

But to your second paragraph, yes.  Racism is rampant and everywhere.  It just is.  Look around you, Andy.  Take your fucking blinders off.  Is it "irredeemable"?  No.  But there you go taking it to the extreme...SHOCKING for someone of your bent, I know, but there it is.  

Third paragraph...what the FUCK is "virtual book burning"?  Is that a phrase you picked up on some sub Reddit forum? Maybe a "chan".  4 or 8.  I don't know which one is worse. Some quiet part of the internet where you and your friends can complain about how tough it is being a privileged white dude?

And...Jesus...oh my dog!  Americans are tearing down statues of Columbus and slave owners and Confederate losers that were only erected at the beginning of Jim Crow, decades after the Civil War, to celebrate...what?  White Supremacy!  I mean, seriously?  What next?  Take down a racist mammy mascot sold to millions of White folks on pancake boxes as the representation of Black America?  

As to the last comment in your post?  Fuck you, you racist piece of shit.  I'm sorry your undies are in a bunch because your worldview is rocked by a call...no...a scream....for equality.  The snowflakes here are you, plain and simple.  You fight and tug and cry in order to hold onto...what?  Aunt Jemima?  A statue of Columbus and Jefferson Davis?  Seriously?  That's the hill you want to die upon?  

Go ahead.  Good luck with that. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If you read the first volume of the graphic novel MARCH (which everyone should!), Representative John Lewis talks about the generational differences during the Civil Rights Movement. His parents did not want to get involved and just thought that they should keep their heads down and wait for incremental change.

It's not the case that people are finding things offensive. A lot of these things were ALWAYS problematic. What you are seeing is POC realizing that these things won't go away on their own as long as we keep their conversations to ourselves and white people learning to look past their privilege and see how casual, systemic racism leads to inequity.

And once again, it's incredibly frustrating to see conversations we've been having among ourselves for decades being dismissed as modern sensitivity and outrage created by white liberals. White conservatives are managing to make the struggles of POC about white people. What the fuck?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Case in point: Were you aware that there were anti-racist protests against GONE WITH THE WIND across the US when it came out? And we’re still somehow needing that conversation 80 years later with some people trying to blame white liberals and cancel culture because we are just now acknowledging that it’s problematic? IT WAS ALWAYS PROBLEMATIC. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's telling that Andy supplied a pic of a current bottle of Aunt Jemima maple syrup where the only difference is that she has hair now instead of a cotton scarf on her head.  Like that represents "change" and "understanding".  

But she's still an "aunt" right?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
We're talking about a product started in the 1800's being held to a modern day standard and 3 corporations removed from those who invented it.  

No.  The first generation owners definitely knew who they were selling to.  The second continued the practice well into the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s.  The third bought the brand and didn't see fit to give it much consideration for two decades.  So, in the end, they all propagated the brand. 

And that's the very definition of systemic, by the way.  Just a heads up.  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

“I say we take off and nuke it from orbit.  It’s the only way to be sure.”

If you can find another country that so robustly celebrates and commemorates traitorous LOSERS as much as the USA I’d like to see it.

My fervent wish is to paint an F-15 Strike Eagle in black...load it with AGM-65 Maverick missiles (also painted black) with the names of the Civil War Union soldiers who lost their lives along with the names of the black men, women and children who were hunted and lynched by the fans of these so-called “heroes” etched into the missiles.   

Then that F-15 fires as many missiles as it takes into this piece of shit rock to reduce it to a fine enough powder so it can be collected in salt and pepper shakers shaped like Barack and Michelle and force the lovers of the ol’ Confederacy to sprinkle that shit on their food at every meal until the shakers are empty.

I am actively trying to wish this into reality.  If it happens..you now know why.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Can’t you guys just ban Andy? He offers nothing in the way of
intelligent conversation. It’s like he just says this stuff so he can show
his Republican buddies how he’s putting to us libtards. Or he posts it to
Trump’s twitter feed so Jesus Trump will be all proud of him.

Just get rid of this loser.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I get nervous when we start destroying art. Where does it end? Blow up half of Mount Rushmore?

This is one of those “complex issues” that, at ground level, isn’t really complex at all. We’re talking about statues and monuments that commemorate evil causes and the men and women who supported them. Pretty much a slam dunk.

And I have no problem at all with statues being taken down. I’m actually pleased to see Columbus (not his real name) being included. The evil is old and wide spread.

But I don’t want to see History obliterated in the name of Enlightenment. There must be some way to have both.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

.......... He offers nothing in the way of 
intelligent conversation. It’s like he just says this stuff so he can show 
his Republican buddies how he’s putting to us libtards. Or he posts it to 
Trump’s twitter feed so Jesus Trump will be all proud of him. ......
==========================================
Dammit Brian! You beat me to it!

I was just thinking of posting something similar while out for a morning walk.

Edited by James Johnson on 19 June 2020 at 6:45am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The thing with the Confederate statues (and Columbus, for that matter) is that they aren't really history as much as propaganda pieces that try to rewrite history.

Confederate monuments try to rewrite the Confederacy as a group of valiant heroes trying to preserve states' rights and the Southern way of life, instead of the losers of a failed insurrection who were trying to preserve slavery. Removing them /preserves/ history.

Same with Columbus. Italian-Americans co-opted him in order to have a hero tied to the Americas, when in reality he was a tyrant who even the Spanish thought was horrible enough to jail for his crimes.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2020 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Art should be guarded, which can also mean contextualizing
it properly, e.g., not erasing GONE WITH THE WIND but
offering it to be watched with a proper introduction.

Why some would engage in a huge socio-cultural battle over
Aunt Jemima, though...

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version