Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music
Topic: The Jack Spratt School of Music Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2020 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On occasion recently, I've had the opportunity to listen to rock songs with either the vocal track or the music track omitted. (For instance, if you listen to the Beatles Channel on Sirius XM - especially "Breakfast with the Beatles" - the in-between segments have the music, but no vocals.)

Anyone else ever heard these? Any opinions? I'm pretty familiar with Queen, and Freddie Mercury singing acapella is just gorgeous; it's arguable that he did have the most beautiful in rock.

What groups do you think have made pretty enough music that just the vocals, or just the instruments, could stand alone? Not to be released, I guess, but just for entertainment.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

People's Front of Zeppelin (found on Youtube) do just
instrumental covers of Led Zeppelin songs that I find
quite enjoyable. Also the 2014 Led Zeppelin remasters
brought forth previously unreleased instrumental songs
that I listen to frequently. If you scour Youtube enough
you can find an instrumental version of just about any
popular song.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Weirdly enough, I'll add the Beastie Boys to the list.  They recognized that the tracks that they recorded with Money Mark for "Ill Communication" and "Check Your Head" deserved to be heard on their own - if you can find it, I strongly recommend the resulting album "The In Sound from Way Out"
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There's a cool vintage one floating around of Grace Slick singing White Rabbit minus the Jefferson Airplane backing. Also one of Graham Nash singing Marrakesh Express with the Hollies rehearsal demo version music for it combined; they never finished it and he went on to do the song with Crosby & Nash.

I listen to a lot of The Ventures music and they rarely had vocals. Also The Shadows of England, Chet Atkins, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Santo & Johnny... there used to be a lot of instrumental artists in the toppermost of the poppermost.

I think the Beatles sans vocals would mostly be pretty cool... they did do an instrumental recording early on (circa '61-'62) titled Cry For A Shadow... I think maybe Jet Harris the bass player had left The Shads at the time and I know he played The Cavern, maybe it was in honour of that. It's actually a really memorable tune!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 29 June 2020 at 11:44am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

To add to Ms. Jansen's comment, I just rewatched "A Hard Day's Night" (it's only been 50 years...) and there are a couple of jazz, non-vocal song treatments. Many funs had.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

People had to be careful back then that they didn't buy the Hard Day's Night movie sound track album (on United Artists) with those George Martin And His Orchestra tracks if what they really wanted was a regular Beatles album (which is probably why Capitol never did put out an album titled Hard Day's Night as Parlophone in England had).

https://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/26/us-lp-a-hard-days-ni ght/

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I asked my Google Home to play me some Beach Boys recently, expecting it to start with something like Surfing USA or Good Vibrations. Instead I got an instrumental out-take from Friends. And it was beautiful! There's a wealth of Beach Boys stuff like this that has been released. Either vocals only tracks or instrumentals. For years, there were snippets from the unreleased Smile album that would tantalise me over what might have been (since we have had not one, but two versions released offering an ostensibly complete mix).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version