Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Alien life before you die: do you have hopes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We're getting closer to the great discovery and I hope it doesn't happen 110 years after the day I was born.

It will probably be some bacteria, but it will sill be pretty exciting.

Do you think you will get to see it?

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 29 June 2020 at 12:28pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hope so—tho actuarially speaking, my clock is really ticking!!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If they like Reese's Pieces... but what if they like people pieces? A be careful what you wish for situation? :^/

Same with bacteria; deadly or beneficial? A distant definite message might be safest and still cool (now I'm remembering 'A For Andromeda').
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Human meat would be extremely toxic to any creature that did not evolve in the same gene pool we did. Similarly, standard sci-fi scenarios of aliens coming to strip us of our “resources” fail to consider how plentiful and easy to access such things are in the Solar System beyond Earth’s orbit.

Visiting aliens would have no need to be hostile or aggressive. But they’d also have no real reason to come here.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Whew, that's good news then! Hard not to have some visions of Giger Aliens.

We're probably under intergalactic quarantine; just an automated saucer comes by now and then to maintain their equipment for blocking our broadcasts from escaping and any of theirs from coming in.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mr. Byrne, is your clock running?
Are you kidding? It's practically galloping!

I suspect that the reason aliens would find and land on Earth is the same reason we would were we exploring - curiosity. As noted, they wouldn't be here for minerals or sea water, and this is an awfully long way to be searching in the dark for a slave population.

It might be REALLY bizarre (e.g., they ruined their planet, and they need another one that fits their ecology, they've found that they react favorably to human emotions - especially fear, et. al.) but at that point, we're piling on tremendous coincidence on top of another. The initial infinitesimal odds would be squared, but the difference would be negligible.

Once they arrive, THEN they might decide we need to be exterminated for the good of the universe... but let's handle one practical impossibility at a time.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am 55 and I don't think we'll find any extra terrestrial life before I breath my last.  As a kid who grew up watching Star Trek reruns it frustrates me to no end to see mankind's quest for people to leave Earth has gone exactly nowhere ever since Apollo.  200 years from now, by the age of Star Trek, I doubt we will have even had a human leave the solar system.  

Edited by Peter Hicks on 29 June 2020 at 3:59pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I’ve often said one of my trips in a time machine would be to visit JFK before he made his “Moon in this decade” speech, and ask him to say “Mars in this century.”

See, we “did it for Jack” and then we lost interest.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bad thought: what if we find them and they have orange skin and yellow hair? :^(

If they are something like the aliens Sue Richards met in Fantastic Four #220-221 though... or maybe 'Mother Thing' or 'Lummox' from Robert Heinlein's Have Space Suit Will Travel or The Star Beast... now those'd be noice. :^)

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It’s possible we’ll never know because they maybe in a form our brain cannot conceive. If you look at every alien ever conceived by man they all take up forms we can relate to in some way or another. It’s possible they could be in a dimension our brains can’t grasp.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2020 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think our best bet would be to find some kind of unicellular life underground on Mars. I don't rate our chances of finding life from outside our solar system in my lifetime (or even in mankind's lifetime).

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2020 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It’s possible we’ll never know because they maybe in a form our brain cannot conceive. If you look at every alien ever conceived by man they all take up forms we can relate to in some way or another. It’s possible they could be in a dimension our brains can’t grasp.

That reminds me of Eureka, a short sci fi comic book story by Alan Moore from the Time Twisters/Future Shocks compilations which originally appeared on the 2000 AD magazine (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 30 June 2020 at 1:21am

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version