Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: What IS this Fascination with LOSERS? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
 I get that Marc, except his white Supremacist brigade seem to be completely anti-Jew. Somehow, he has both sides convinced he’s on their side, yet they are diametrically opposed in their views. How does he do that?

The anti-Semites on the far right are also anti-Muslim and see Israel as the buffer against the Muslim World in the Middle East. And they look to Israel as a model for a nationalist state. 

Yes, it makes no sense. But these guys have always been around. Trump is doing nothing special other than dog whistling to them. 
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's funny that Trump, being especially obsessed with the concept of winners and losers (and seeing himself as the ultimate "winner" obviously) caters shamelessly to the biggest losers in history (Confederates, Nazis, Klan, you name it). 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I tend to refer the them as Losers, Traitors and Slavers.. Three strikes in most books. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've had a long fascination with the (American) Civil War. I've read perhaps hundreds of books, and articles. and watched countless documentaries. I've been to a couple of battlefields. 
I live in Kansas so I have no particular sympathy with the Southern cause, but the whole time I've studied the subject I bought into the 'oh these were men who fought for a cause, even though they were wrong' myth. I even sort of idolized Robert E Lee because he was a 'good' man.

Somewhere along the way I woke up. These men were not good, defeated heroes; they were traitors, and many of them should have been hanged or worse. And allowing the same men who seceded to return to the American government might have been the biggest mistake of all. that allowed them to spin and buy into the myth of the Lost Cause. 

The Lost Cause was just that, LOST. As someone else said, they were runners-up in a two-man race. They don't need to memorialize that.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The PBS Newshour had Ken Burns on around a week ago talking about the debate around civil war monuments and statues, and he quoted from Robert E. Lee himself saying he argued against such things as it would only keep the wounds open. So these people who erected this stuff, from somewhere in the late 1800s to as recently as a couple decades ago, were going totally against their 'hero's' own wishes on the subject! That they went against him to the hundreds and thousands of publicly statues and memorials is incredible really.

Lincoln's VP Andrew Johnson (from North Carolina, and representing Tennessee, both states which left to form the Confederacy) practically undid the entire civil war after Lincoln's assassination. This was back when it was considered good form to have a vice president from another constituency policy-wise and even political party entirely. Impeached by the House Of Representatives in 1868 but then acquitted in the Senate by one vote. History rhyming.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 01 July 2020 at 10:28pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Lots of people still think Marx and Lenin were great people and that collectivism has a real chance, if only it were "done "right". Talk about backing a losing philosophy. 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2020 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There are Americans who think the United States "won" in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Great nation we may be, but we're packed to the gills with delusional whiners and wannabees.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Someone recently commented that the American Civil War is seemingly the only armed conflict in human history where the losing side managed to dictate national policy for the next 150 years.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think those who wear the Confederate flag as a symbol of "southern heritage and/or pride" are idiots.

The South lost the war, and you can scream that it was about state's rights until you're blue in the face. It was about slavery, any way you cut it. If its offensive to African-Americans, case closed. Plus, why the hell would you want to represent the side that lost?

If you want to show "southern heritage or pride", wear you own state's flag.

(By the way, the part of TN I'm in was mostly pro-Union during the war. If you're wearing a Confederate flag in an area that mostly supported the other side, that makes you a double idiot in my book.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 08 July 2020 at 1:16pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The whole business of "State's Rights"....

Lincoln did not want slavery extended into the Western Territories, but Southerners, expanding in that direction, wanted to take slaves with them. They invoke "state's rights", rather missing the point that such rights STOP at state borders.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't really get the love for the flag in my state* but I'll have students that often tell me that the flag represents our heritage. Then I remind them that we live in West Virginia.

* I still love the Dukes of Hazzard though. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 July 2020 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Shawn Kan wrote:
I still love the Dukes of Hazzard though.

What do you love about that show? Now. Today.  Seriously.  Take all the Confederate flag waving out of it, what about that show still resonates with you?  

I was 12 years old when it debuted in '79 and I hated it .  I thought it was dumb 41 years ago as a preteen.  Haven't seen it in nearly that long.  I'm just trying to understand why anyone would profess an actual "love" for the DUKES OF HAZZARD.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version