Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Dave Cockrum Art Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The discussion of Mr. Cockrum's art in the "Elsewhen" threads made me think back to his X-Men run and how much I enjoyed the #94-107 issues but yet, when he returned after JB's run I didn't care for his aesthetic as much. I really don't want this to come across as another "his old stuff was better" because part of me thinks it may have been the inkers of those later issues (Rubenstein on some and maybe...Wiacek?) that impacted the art where as Dave inked himself mostly in the early days - correct?

Anyway, just curious if others felt this way or even the artists here could shine some light
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dave didn’t ink the early issues. Most were Sam Grainger.

Scott Wagahoff
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ah - thanks JB. There just seemed to be a "heaviness" to the art that wasn't there in the later Cockrum issues and, again, I assume it was the inkers influence?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When I was signed up to pencil UNCANNY I asked that Grainger stay on as inker. I felt that it would make the transition easier for the readers. EiC Archie Goodwin was insistent that Terry Austin would be the new inker, and that was the end of that.

Not such a bad choice, as it turned out.

(I’d suggested Terry take over inking MARVEL TEAM-UP, in the hopes it would make the book look more like the first SUPERMAN/SPIDER-MAN. Terry was quite agreeable.)

Ben Herman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I believe that due to X-Men now being a monthly series when Dave Cockrum returned, on at least some of the issues during his second run he only drew layouts, leaving it to Josef Rubinstein and Bob Wiacek to contribute finishes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The issue with the phrase "his old stuff was better," as I understand JB (please correct me if I misunderstand, JB) is that its a matter of opinion, and what period is being to be considered as "old stuff." as it can be a relative term.

All artists evolve to some degree. Dave Cockrum did draw differently in his earlier run on the title. Storm is a good example of this, regardless of the inker. Her hair, in the early run, was drawn more flowing and stringy, while it seemed to be bushier in the later run. That particular detail may have been a reflection of the times, as hairstyles changed from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s. The inker definitely does factor in, though, as to how the art is perceived. But, I suspect that even had Sam Grainger been able to return as inker on that later run, both Cockrum and his art would have changed to some degree and some fans would not have enjoyed it as much as the earlier work (and vice-versa).

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Grainger ink JB, but I’d much rather have
seen that pair on MT-U rather than Dave Hunt.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I long thought that Joe Rubinstein was the best inker ever but, now with decades of reading experience under my belt (including viewing a lot of the art pre- and post-inked), I feel that Rubinstein is one who doesn't bring much extra to the pencils--he does not embellish.  Give him some really detailed Starlin or Byrne art and he will ink the heck out of it!  But give him something less finished, and it will end up looking less finished.

Earlier Cockrum was full of dynamic energy and innovative layouts--easier to do with 17 pages bi-monthly.  Later Cockrum (as with a lot of artists) fell into some "Cockrum-isms" as he strived to draw 22 pages monthly.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"...Earlier Cockrum was full of dynamic energy and innovative layouts--"

This is something I noticed about some early-mid 1970s artists... While they still had great ability, Cockrum, along with Jim Starlin, and Marshall Rogers, and some others, did have innovative layouts and some little stylish things they did in the 1970s, but by the 1980s, the seemed to approach the drawing more conventionally and so it didn't always feel as dynamic by comparison with the earlier work.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 08 July 2020 at 5:07pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

One thing I wanted to add about Dave Cockrum, since I was thinking about it: He inked an issue of "Avengers" with George Tuska pencils, and it looked fantastic. The best I ever saw of an inker on Tuska, though I am biased as I favor Cockrum's work of that era over most Tuska jobs. NOTE: Tuska never really floated my boat with his superhero work, but his 1950s crime comics were very cool!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Cockrum also did a great job inking a couple of Avengers issues by John Buscema, and one by Don Heck.

I really loved his work as an inker.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2020 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dave was a great inker, but I always thought his talents were wasted when they had him ink other artists.  He did ink a couple of the stories during his first X-Men run (GS#1 and issue #100) and they were head and shoulders above the stuff that had other inkers.  Dan Green inked the final issue of Dave's first run, and he probably came the closest to inking like Dave himself.  It would have been nice if they'd brought Green back for the second run.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version