Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.15--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I guess an alternate to Namor would be Marrina from Alpha Flight as the X-Men knew Alpha Flight better than they knew Namor at this time.  Of course, it looks a lot more like Namor.  Got to fight urge to speculate.

The little details on the ocean floor remind me of the old graffiti walls and the like in the X-men from that era and the debates some had on if it was Byrne or Austin who did it all.  This page makes me think Byrne had more influence on that stuff than we knew at the time (I'm sure some fan magazines listed it as being all Austin but that is a 30+ year memory so who knows).  

Imagining what it would be like to be immortal thus able to spend thousands of years away from home, then you return not knowing how it has changed, just to find it destroyed.  Heck, many here have moved away from where they grew up I'm sure and when you go back there are always things that have changed.  This is like being from a city that got bombed and you didn't know it until  you returned but multiplied.  Should be fun to see how this goes.  Again, hoping more on the subplot with Havok destroying a building happens soon.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Nice juxtaposition between the opening two pages.  Clever when you consider that they are connected by certain events and even thematically.  Looking forward to seeing what pops up on the screen in the next couple of days.

One thing I love about this series is the way it connects the X-Men with the rest of the Marvel Universe, which is something that Claremont seemed to pull away from after JB left.
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Namor? Taking a swim in Jamaica Bay?"

--

I feel for him! My childhood home in Brooklyn was so close to Jamaica Bay that the 1924 aerial view of NYC revealed that the location was once IN the bay! With a big honkin' landfill situated along the shore, it's not exactly the cleanest of waterways. 

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Would love to see Namor join the X-men is this universe.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Vinny - and Namor has more than once noted the filth he has to swim through when in NY. Namorita too, I think. It's a bit of an ad for supporting ecology - but it's right. If we had to swim through that crap, we'd think differently.

NAMOR! Mr. Byrne, you haven't slipped a tiny bit in your king of the seas. The attitude, the appearance - it's beautiful. And as Namor is (purportedly) a mutant, he would probably be on Professor Xavier's rolodex. That last panel looks almost as if he's flying, rather than being blasted. What else could it be? He might go flying helter skelter out of the water, limbs in every direction. But... it's Namor. Even getting knocked for a loop, he's graceful.

And one big kudo to you that a lot of other artists have missed. To my memory, only you and Jim Aparo actually draw someone WET coming out of the water (and even in the water.) Most others I recall show the characters as in any other environment, but with water coming off them to show they were in the water... a VERY different image indeed!

So yeah, your work is all wet - in such a good way!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Would love to see Namor join the X-men is this universe.

••

We'd end up with a Beast/Nightcrawler dynamic, with Namor/Wolverine.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

One thing I love about this series is the way it connects the X-Men with the rest of the Marvel Universe, which is something that Claremont seemed to pull away from after JB left.

••

In Chris' defense (!!), as the X-Men gained popularity, more and more writers wanted to use them, often without clearing that use with the X-Office. To "protect" the characters and his storylines, Chris did the best he could to separate them from the mainstream of the MU.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It appears Jean does not wish to be disturbed...

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Your Namor has been getting more and more Everett-esque with the passing years! And I like what you are doing with his hair, here.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I like what you are doing with his hair, here.

••

For a long time now I have been working from the assumption that Namor does not have a "flat head", and that the effect is really "swimmer's hair". His hair is swept back above his ears, creating the triangular effect.

(Some may recall I had Namorita use some styling tools to completely change the contours of her cousin's hair, as a disguise.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Flipping thru some NAMOR issues just now. Remembering I had a surprisingly good time on that series, minus most of the office interference and politics. Until the end, at least.

Namor had been a favorite since I "met" him in FF4, so it was fun to play with him in a broader context than just a guest appearance.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Every page a cliffhanger! GAH!

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version