Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.16--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The D'Bari story grows ever more tragic in the retelling.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A look at the original version.

As many of you should be able to tell by now, this was not a sequence Chris had any hand in plotting.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Zero plot and eight panels of art coaxed the word buffet to open with an “all you can read” sign.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That little kid, terrified, clinging to helpless mom, still gets to me. Jeez...

Lots of explanation by Chris Claremont, but this concentrated bit is excellent:

"...half the world dies in its sleep. They are the lucky ones."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Lots of explanation by Chris Claremont, but this concentrated bit is excellent:

"...half the world dies in its sleep. They are the lucky ones."

••

I might agree, if "The dead are the lucky ones" wasn't one of Chris' go-to moves.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That 4th panel (in today's page, not the one shown above) is breathtakingly beautiful! I'm sure younger me wouldn't agree, but this series makes me wish that all comics were shot from the pencils.

Giving CC his due in the page above, his description of a planet dying really freaked me out as a teen. An example where his...verbosity really helped to drive home the horrors occurring planet-side.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Giving CC his due in the page above, his description of a planet dying really freaked me out as a teen. An example where his...verbosity really helped to drive home the horrors occurring planet-side.

••

Oh, sure. But he could have used about half as many words, and covered less of the art!

At this point, Chris was really starting to write these things as novels, filling the panels with descriptive passages of what was already IN the panels--and, often, something OTHER than what was in the panels.

Frustrating!

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm guessing Phoenix was colored green and gold to go with Marvel Girl's previous green color scheme-- but yes, white and gold would have been a much better choice.
_____

Apparently white did not work well with newsprint and you could see the reverse of the page through the costume. 

Having seen a cosplay of the white version, it looks pretty good. Cockrum knew what he was doing. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There was also a tremendous resistance to white, as, for some reason, it wasn't considered "bright" enough. Frank Miller had to fight for a white cover on DAREDEVIL (where there was no chance of the reverse side showing thru) because the colorists insisted yellow was "brighter".

These days, with various computer tricks, there's a kind of flip side in play, where many colorists insist on knocking out black lines and shapes in color. (Not all that new, really.) They don't seem to get that nothing is stronger than black.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I remember in THE UNTOLD STORY interview, you had said that you didn't want Dark Phoenix to have thought balloons. The page above shows why you were right.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Dark Phoenix's thoughts, I felt, should have been beyond us.

Then Chris basically gave her very conversational patter in her head.

To be fair to Chris (as much as I can) by this point he was pretty badly beaten down by Shooter, and he tried to force in a much exposition as he could, whether it flowed organically or not.

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2020 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yeah, the near overwhelming presence of words on the original page as compared with today's Elsewhen entry is really jarring when you look at them side by side. The text on the page from issue 135 reads like a novel.  As a 12-year old who loved reading it didn't bother me at the time, but now I can totally see how that doesn't work for a comic book.  

This made me curious about seeing classic tales like this turned into novels (or audio books), and I found that apparently the Dark Phoenix saga has recent been (re-)written as a novel.  I checked out the reviews on Amazon, and found one point that immediately turned me off from pursuing it further - "author's excellent treatment of Emma Frost, adding in details and different interactions with Scott Summers that are influenced by the White Queen's later character development." 

As someone who was introduced to the White Queen in X-Men 129, I can't reconcile that character with the "semi-heroic" version from the modern day who writers like Grant Morrison want to put into a relationship with Cyclops of all people....ugh...

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version