Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 39 Next >>
Topic: President Biden, Being Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:
In 2000 Gore didn't concede until mid December.

A different situation. It hinged on one state in which the difference between the two candidates was in the hundreds and there was a very valid reason to look for further clarity of who had actually won.

Note Gore did not go on TV to declare the whole thing was rigged.
Note the Republicans did not want a recount.

Trump has every right to take time with conceding. But there is a vast difference between doing that and using the office of the Presidency to immediately declare himself the victor.

Just for the fun of it, let's remind ourselves of the 2000 ballot card for Palm Beach County:

Easy if you want to vote for Bush. Not so easy if you want to vote for Gore.
Back to Top profile | search

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tim, the WP article you shared is pretty good.  Sure, a transition will be more difficult if it starts later.  At this point the process hasn't been delayed very long.

We don't know exactly when Trump will concede, but listening to Pompeo, it sounds like they are preparing for a transition.  I agree if they delay too long it could be a problem, but we're not there yet.

The article also noted that 5 recounts in the last 5 years shifted the outcome of an election by at least 1000 votes, and in one instance it was more than 2000 votes.  In 2000, the difference between Bush and Gore was 537 votes, which underscores the need for accuracy.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Peter, I agree with you.  Trump's declarations on election night were deplorable, and at the time when he said those things, there was no evidence to back up his claims.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John W. - All I've heard from news channels (which, except for Fox, I find pretty impartial) is that there's been nothing to bring lawsuits about.

"Fraud" and "impropriety" are strong words. They imply that someone did something illegal and wrong, and I haven't seen evidence of this yet. As for opportunities - helpless shrug. Most every opportunity for something has a chance to go wrong; very little is 100% sure. Even flipping a coin isn't 100% heads or tails.

But you note that we need to see what went wrong; and save for an excess of intrusion into the process and accusations, I'm not sure I see anything. No system is perfect, certainly. And there are steps we can take to make things easier and more efficient. But I don't know that there was any wrong doing on the part of the democrats. I'm sure there will be an official examination after President Biden is inaugurated.

In every other case, I have the same reply: Show me evidence. Yes, the accusations fly about like fireblind moths; I just want to see the hard stuff reported and verified. Until such time... I have to presume that they are all distractions and delays.

Unless unfaithful electors screw with things, Mr. Biden takes office on 1-20-21. But the current administration can (and apparently will) make the transition far harder than it needs to be; meanwhile, Trump appears to be hiding, snarking, and falsely and blindly accusing.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After what everyone has gone through it's astonishing that anybody would get information via twitter or facebook, any more than they would give credence to something on craig's list. It's not like either was even set up for distributing news with editors screening things before 'publication'. Are people capable of learning some very basic things about how to weed out obvious poor quality sources? It seems like for many Americans social media is their first and maybe only choice, and that is a heck of a problem to have; a badly informed populace making decisions. They don't want news sources that are boring or dry, and so you get drama, almost yelling figures, and exciting times. Who wants more of that? Yuck.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 12 November 2020 at 2:04pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It looks like chances are Trump will run again in 2024. I hope this proves to be a terrible decision for them.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 12 November 2020 at 2:08pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

You can't run for president from prison.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"We don't know exactly when Trump will concede, but listening to Pompeo, it
sounds like they are preparing for a transition."

Pompeo said they are preparing to transition to a second Trump
administration.

You really are totally full of shit.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Four years is a wider enough span of time for any number of things to change substantially.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Read what Pompeo said after that, or watch the video of his full statement.  You're taking one comment (which was a joke) out of context.  

"The world should have every confidence that the transition necessary to make sure that the State Department is functional today, successful today and successful with the president who’s in office on January 20th, a minute after noon, will also be successful."

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Also: "We have a process, Bret. The Constitution lays out how electors vote. It‘s a very detailed process laid out. We need to comply with all of that, and then I am very confident that we will have a good transition. That we will make sure whoever is in office on noon on January 20 has all the tools readily available so that we don‘t skip a beat with the capacity to keep Americans safe. That‘s what I was speaking to."

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2020 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't think Trump will run again.  His persona is too odious and too divisive for him to win again.  Even most people who agree with his policies vote for him because they see him as the lesser of two evils.

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version