Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: here he goes again part 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The CB Cebulski nostalgia tour/CC lovefest continues. 

CC added this gem in a recent reddit stream:

Claremont continued, "What was amusing to me was that John Byrne had gone to Jim Shooter and made the classic 'you go or I go' challenge, and Jim basically came down to the idea that I would stay and John would do the FF. But what was intriguing to me was that everything I had created on the X-Men beside Kitty was created after he left—so what if Jim had agreed to John's pitch, and what if everything I had created for the X-Men would have been created for the FF or the Avengers? So that's the alternate reality. That would be an interesting 'What If?' miniseries or maxiseries."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chris-claremont-describes-th e-ultimate-x-men-what-if-project/

Jesus, this guy. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Everything he created besides Kitty? Wat?

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I just don't even understand what he's saying there.
For a writer, that's a pretty incoherent paragraph.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Seems like a very revealing comment in how Chris Claremont regards his own time on X-Men. Chris Claremont's celebrated career is inextricably linked with the work of other artists he either collaborated with or borrowed from. There is no facile way for him to talk accurately about what he "created" so he often hogs glory by using words in a slippery fashion that puts him in the best light-- whether or not he actually intends to.

I have no real insight about that other than I think I would try harder than he does to get this stuff right. If it were up to him, it seems, the record would be far from the truth.

Strange case here is that, for quite a while, the CC-X-Men titles seemed [to me] to obsess on the few arcs that JB and CC did together (along with his Wolverine mini-series with Frank Miller).

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Proteus?
The Hellfire Club?
Dazzler?
The new members of the Legio- of the Imperial Guard?
"Jason Wyngarde"?
"Days of Future Past"?
Dark Phoenix?

I guess Mr. Byrne was just an art robot - at least as far as Mr. Claremont recalls. I seem to recall that Mr. Byrne was behind one or two creations also. Whether in concert with Mr. Claremont or not - well, that one I don't know.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I cannot reconcile this part of his statement:

"everything I had created on the X-Men beside Kitty was created after he left"

This does not make any sense because CC was on the book before JB and after JB. I also see lots of elements, not just characters, new to the title starting with issue #94 and after JB left on issue #143. Anyone able to even suggest what he means?

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here is the link.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Read the article. Ok, Claremont says it would have been neat to explore what if JB stayed on UXM and he had taken over the FF. The idea that "everything" created for one title could have been implemented at the other title seems odd. I still can't understand his comment about what he created only coming after JB left the book.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Eric: Read the article. Ok, Claremont says it would have been neat to explore what if JB stayed on UXM and he had taken over the FF. The idea that "everything" created for one title could have been implemented at the other title seems odd.

I agree. I believe it has to do with the idea that some writers try to write stories that suit the characters they inherit, while other writers just use those characters to tell whatever kind of story they want to tell.

It seems Chris Claremont doesn't really feel anyone is bound to write stories that suit the titles they work on.

We know JB feels the opposite of that.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric wrote:

Proteus?
The Hellfire Club?
Dazzler?
The new members of the Legio- of the Imperial Guard?
"Jason Wyngarde"?
"Days of Future Past"?
Dark Phoenix?

I guess Mr. Byrne was just an art robot - at least as far as Mr. Claremont recalls. I seem to recall that Mr. Byrne was behind one or two creations also. Whether in concert with Mr. Claremont or not - well, that one I don't know
-----------------------------------------------
From Claremont's words, he is not claiming he created these.

"Everything I had created on the X-Men beside Kitty was created after he left"

Now, what he says is a little weird, not unambiguous, and not necessarily true. But he is clearly not claiming he is the creator of those things. The spurious and ambiguous thing is that he seems to be claiming to have played a part in the creation of Kitty, which we know isn't true.

There a number of things created in UXM during the CC/JB run. Claremont is saying, with the exception of Kitty, all his contributions came after JB left. i.e. he is specifically not claiming credit for the Hellfire Club, Dazzler, Jason Wyngarde, etc.

He is claiming credit for Lockheed and Rogue and Forge and Selene and Nimrod and the Morlocks and Mr Sinister and Gambit and all that jazz.

Now I've no idea who did the heavy lifting between artist and writer for those characters, but I can't see how you can interpret Claremont as trying to hog credit for Proteus by expressly saying he didn't create anything before JB left (with the weird exception of Kitty, which JB created entirely).

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Legendary X-Men writer Chris Claremont, the greatest living comic book writer in existence, stopped by Reddit's..."

I'm guessing that word count was the only measure used to determine to that conclusion? Greatest writer is number of words, greatest penciler is number of lines on the page, greatest colorist is number of effects; after all, more is more and who doesn't always want more? /s

Edited by Jim Petersman on 20 November 2020 at 1:09pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
"Legendary X-Men writer Chris Claremont, the greatest living comic book writer in existence, stopped by Reddit's..."

Wait a minute.

This is one of those multiverse things, right?

Alan Davis, John Byrne, Walt Simonson, Stan Sakai, Roger Stern and others do not exist in the one being referenced.

Got it!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version