Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Susan Storm and Ben becoming the Thing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Why try to change it? Reed had shielding, obviously, but not enough to satisfy Ben. It turns out that Ben was right. In one magnificent alternate version of the origin (Good morning, Mr. Byrne!), Reed seems to have his moment of clarity and agrees that the shielding is not worth risking his and his friends' lives.

Personally, I have long held that Reed did provide enough shielding for the expected journey. But they ran into a cosmic ray storm - much as a thunder storm appearing out of a forecasted light summer shower, in a similar way to the cosmic storm the X-Men ran into some years later that released the Phoenix. (COROLLARY QUESTION: Why did Jean have to sacrifice herself when she could have used her powers to transfer that knowledge to Colossus or Wolverine, and then protect HIM while he landed the shuttle? Ah, let's never mind right now.)

And let's remember - we're shooting at this snipe sixty years after the fact. Our sensibilities and experiences are a little different from the audience of that time.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Reed's prodigious intelligence is definitely NOT a result of cosmic rays.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

No, Reed's a mutant.

Copyright Chris Claremont.

:)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The suggestion that Reed's intelligence was improved by exposure to cosmic rays has always bothered me. 
If upheld, it means that pre-flight Reed wasn't in Doom's class when it comes to brains-- except that he provably is, because he found a critical flaw in Doom's work.
No, Reed was a singular kind of super-genius before the flight and after it. In how I've read the stories, it doesn't seem as though cosmic rays affected his smarts in the least.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One of my problems with the modern comics is that writers tend to write Reed as if his power is his intellect rather than the ability to stretch.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The suggestion that Reed's intelligence was improved by exposure to cosmic
rays has always bothered me.
If upheld, it means that pre-flight Reed wasn't in Doom's class when it comes
to brains-- except that he provably is, because he found a critical flaw in
Doom's work.
No, Reed was a singular kind of super-genius before the flight and after it. In
how I've read the stories, it doesn't seem as though cosmic rays affected his
smarts in the least.

________
I don't want to be responsible for thread drift so maybe I'll start a new thread, I
agree with. you except the "provable" part.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

No, Reed's a mutant.

Ha! Chris would never make a character just one thing.

Reed's a gamma-enhanced mutant Vampire Kung-fu expert whose father is from another planet and his mother is from the future and related to everyone else in the MCU. 19 siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins to follow.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
(COROLLARY QUESTION: Why did Jean have to sacrifice herself when she could have used her powers to transfer that knowledge to Colossus or Wolverine, and then protect HIM while he landed the shuttle? Ah, let's never mind right now.)

While flying, she thought that not even Colossus could survive that level of radiation. Her TK shields usually function in line of sight range.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No, Reed's a mutant.

Ha! Chris would never make a character just one thing.

Reed's a gamma-enhanced mutant Vampire Kung-fu expert whose father is from another planet and his mother is from the future and related to everyone else in the MCU. 19 siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins to follow.

••

What's that old line about having a hammer makes everything looks like a nail?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I do believe it is Reed's intellect that makes him so formidable, but it isn't a super power.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Why can't Reed just be this highly intelligent mother fucker, who happens to have gained super powers, and cares about his family and mankind? 

Seriously  ;-)

All this other supposed stuff is just bullshit/lazy writing.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

ITEM: Jim B. - I remember Jean's consideration about Colossus, but I'm thinking of a Colossus ALSO shielded by Jean's TK shield. I figured that she set her shield around him and was in mental contact transferring piloting knowledge, while she was obviously safe in the passenger cell.

Of course it would ruin the storyline, but I'm just wondering about another idea. (In the "What If-" about the original X-Men, Polaris was able to work the controls by magnetism. Jean could have managed the same while in the life module if only they'd had a camera... :) )

ITEM: I'll break this down to as simple and effective argument as I think I can. Reed Richards, unenhanced, built a operational rocket system to the stars ALONE. Oh, maybe Ben helped with the navigation systems and piloting specifics - but Reed incorporated that into the design.

Did the cosmic rays make him smarter? They didn't seem to have such effect on the others. Oh, Johnny learned he had pyrokinesis, but that surely didn't apply pre-flight.

One MIGHT note a discrepancy in that Ben's powers were always on and the others' weren't. It might have been a bit more consistent if Johnny had to concentrate to turn OFF his flame, Sue had to focus to be visible, and Reed had to set his mind to keeping a human form, and not a pool of melted Reed-sicle.

But Stan's story and design are GREAT for me. Any arguments can be taken to the source. :)

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version