Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: What’s the Point of R-Rated Superheroes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2020 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This is an excellent video that discusses many of the things that JB and all of us on this forum have talked about many times. I'm posting this here on the main general forum instead of the movie or TV forum because it is talking about superheroes in general across all media (including comics). Gerry Conway is also interviewed in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfI_2dscGE&feature=youtu.be &fbclid=IwAR3GPrL5YuECKuBSSNdsbvarCB-NhZZK978UYH030R57dV6cJd HJ1b-5jTE
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As with so many things in Hollywood, the attitude is "Because we can!"

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The video seemed to by spot on with the analysis. 

The Boys works.  

Zack Snyder’s DC related “everything” doesn’t.  

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have posted this in the Comic Books section of a Spanish video game forum (users are mostly in their 30s), adding a poll with the question "does it make sense for classic superheroes to be made for adults?".

I have explained the reasons of the video briefly, saying that the huge crisis in physical comic books could be caused by this approach. That comic books for adults, some of them using superheroes, were already available in the 80s in graphic novels or a few regular collections, but kids could read Superman.

We'll see how it goes, but I don't have many hopes. Most of those guys are fans of Snyder or Wheadon and some even like what Image comics produced during the 90s.

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 29 November 2020 at 1:18pm

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2020 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Boys works.  

++++++++++++++++++

Garth Ennis isn't a big fan of superheroes, and it shows.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As long as he is applying his take on superheroes to his own creations I don’t have a problem with it.  

When someone treats Superman like Homelander is the problem.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 30 November 2020 at 4:46am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That's a toughie. Are talking tasteful nudity, or a balls deep orgy?

My knee jerk reaction is that publishers look for what sells. If Superman kissing Lois sells, then maybe a step into R-rating is worth a try in an adult rated mini-series. If it's an ongoing romance with Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Wonder Man, that might be a step too far. If it's Pietro and Wanda, then I think there's no place for that in general issue comics.

I think it might be a Marvel title best suited for such - say another* Spider-Man series that focuses more on Peter and Mary Jane's relationship. That could step over the line somewhat without going TOO far - but again, a Mature rating could be in order.

Comic books are NOT, IMO, a place for sexual satisfaction. And if they are, then it should be unattached to DC or Marvel based super heroes. A R-rated comic could take place in Metropolis - but it shouldn't be Jimmy and Lois (for example). I think if it's Ken and Barbara, working for the Daily Planet's office in Gotham City, that might barely be acceptable.

But for mine self - a very old fogey - an occasional kiss or particularly sexy (but not provocative) costume (e.g., Starfire) should be the extent of it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I recall one Big Name writer saying he was "trapped" by superheroes, because "that's where the money is."

Ah, artistic integrity. It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was expecting to dislike THE BOYS' show, but so far I don't. It's looking like something that deviates a bit from the source material, but for the better. It's not so much mocking super-heroes or comic books, but mocking current American society, and just happens to be using super-heroes to get there.

Re: The Youtube video, I watched the whole thing and mostly enjoyed it...but I wish he had pointed out that Deadpool is NOT an R-rated character in the comics and pretty much never was (outside of a couple of MAX mini-series), though fandom seems to be insisting that he is as justification that he needs to be so for the movies.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's fascinating that the Marvel universe contains characters as diverse as The Impossible Man & Modok in one corner and then Bullseye & The Punisher in the other.

Ennis' Punisher MAX series was down and dirty; a big screen version faithful to those comics would be disturbing to say the least. 

But yeah, there should be room for R-rated superhero movies, provided that the comics they were based on were 'mature reader' titles.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

“Comic books are NOT, IMO, a place for sexual satisfaction.“

See...I disagree with that on it’s face.  I don’t think the comic book medium is sacrosanct.  A comic book can be about ANYTHING I’m my opinion.  A MARVEL Comic about Spider-Man however can’t be (should not be) about anything other than an all ages Spider-Man adventure.  

It’s the specific use of existing comic book characters that were primarily intended for all ages being used in comics and movies and TV in totally adult settings that I take issue with.  Especially if all ages have access to that mature material.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 November 2020 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Comics can be anything movies are—problem tho, is twofold. Convince civilians that ALL comics are not just for kids, and convince professionals that SOME comics should be!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version