Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: What’s the Point of R-Rated Superheroes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LUCIFER moved from FOX to Netflix, and the change was a bit jarring. The show got away with a little bit of gore while on FOX, but since the move to Netflix, they've added rear view nudity and language.

I've never really had any desire to see TITANS, and after reading Eric's post, I am glad I haven't.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I had a problem with the adult content (from the excessive violence to the sex) of all the Marvel Netflix shows. I thought it was unnecessary for the characters. It always felt to me that the shows were more adult just because they were on Netflix and they could do it, not because the stories and characters really needed it. 
I would have preferred a little more fun and a lot less adultness. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It seems more and more as if the creeps who used to ask for nudie sketches (Or worse! “Can I get Hawkeye shooting Mockingbird with a dildo arrow?” Seriously.) at cons are now running the comics and the movies.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2020 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, I don't know what's more baffling about people who'd make such requests -- how little regard they have for you or for themselves.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Marvel Netflix shows contained a fair bit of violence and a smattering of sex scenes. To be fair, Miller's DD was pretty violent back in the day and The Punisher is always going to be pushing things to the extreme.

I would pretty much expect the TV shows featuring the darker characters of Marvel to go down that path, albeit perhaps eluding to sexual acts rather than actually showing them (e.g two characters waking up in bed 'the morning after'). Still, if I was watching an FF show, I would not expect to see Sue & Reed getting it on.

The Walking Dead comic (okay, not superheroes) really pushed things to the extreme. The comic included every curse word imaginable, murder, suicide, cannibalism, torture, the killing of minors (by other minors) and also included (off panel) rape. 

The TV show also included a huge level of violence - including the most violent scene that I have ever seen on mainstream TV. 

And yet...not one single F-Word!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Still, if I was watching an FF show, I would not expect to see Sue & Reed getting it on.

••

Of course not. Sue and Johnny on the other hand. . . . .

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2020 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The sexual content of Jessica Jones didn't bother me as a whole, maybe because I've never read a single comic with her in it. Getting a litte more specific, reducing Purple Man to a rapist I thought did disservice to the character.

The violence in Daredevil was a problem for me. Yes, the Miller comics had their moments of violence. But nothing as gratuitous as Kingpin repeatedly slamming someone's head in a car door until it was mush. I stopped at that point and have not been back to the show.

Edited by Peter Martin on 03 December 2020 at 8:05am

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2020 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The violence in Daredevil was a problem for me. Yes, the Miller comics had their moments of violence. But nothing as gratuitous as Kingpin repeatedly slamming someone's head in a car door until it was mush. I stopped at that point and have not been back to the show

--------

That was extreme, I'll admit. There was a scene in DD 172 where the Kingpin beats one of his lackeys to death with his bare fists. If the scene was filmed rather than drawn, I'd imagine that it would be equally as disturbing. When I'm reading a comic, my mind is setting the pace of the scene and determining what I see and hear. When it's done for me, that's a whole different animal.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version