Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 50 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.18--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2021 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This narrative for this issue is a lot of fun to read so far.

It also makes me realise, I've never really thought before about how the Watcher watches all these things.
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like this Magneto a lot. He's got a calm about him. He uses his powers subtly. He's way scarier than the loud, angry Magneto.

Edited by Richard Stevens on 06 January 2021 at 7:34am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since his debut, there have been many faces--literally--for Magneto.

Kirby's original was basically a Nazi thug, lacking only the actual trappings.

Glimpses of his face suggested a rough visage, Neal Adams even drawing him with a smashed in boxer's nose.

It was Neal, of course, who finally showed us Magneto without his helmet, and gave birth to a character very different from the one we had seen before that moment.*

* To this day I am convinced that, working "Marvel Style" with Neal, Roy Thomas did not know what was coming before Neal's big reveal. Reading the issue long after its original publication, I was struck by the fact that several times the "Creator" has conversations with his mutated lackeys that make no sense if, as shown a few pages later, they knew he was Magneto.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile, came upon THIS article.

The second paragraph raised an eyebrow for me. Continuity snarls? What continuity snarls?

This seems to be yet another writer who assumes I was a Force Unleashed at Marvel, with no one to rein me in. Quite the contrary of course, and everything I did in XHY was approved at the editorial level.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I know it's a weird thing to focus on, but I appreciate your floors, JB. Really all of your mansion decor. It was Doom's castle in FF that made me search out the credits for the first time.

Oh! And any chance Magneto could bring that mansion on over with him? Asking for a friend.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As my income has increased, and my domiciles have become increasingly upscale, I have been made (almost unconsciously) more and more aware that there is more to flooring than linoleum and laminate!

Such knowledge has, naturally, infiltrated my work.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Speaking of backgrounds, I've revisited the page and I couldn't help but notice how much they affected my experience in reading this page. 

A little info first - as noted, the first time I found myself seeking out the credits in a comic book was in FF, in particular after a page placed in Doom's castle. After seeing it was this guy named "Bryne" (it was years before I realized it was Byrne), I wondered why he didn't have those kind of backgrounds in every panel.This page feels like an answer to that kid's question. 

The backgrounds really served to, well, ground me in the location. I felt like I was entering an abandoned mansion. It slowed me down as I took it all in, much like one would expect Magneto to slowly advance into the mansion. But as the page progresses, and the story advances, the backgrounds would only serve to pull focus. Thus, by the end of the page, the backgrounds disappear, the story advances, and the reader is subtly prepared for the change of venue, presumably, to happen on the next page.

Perhaps I've overanalyzed, but this gave me a much greater appreciation of the thought and time that goes into creating this kind of work. I've always thought of the penciler/artist as the draw-er of things, but now realize why JB is so universally lauded for his storytelling abilities. There's a much greater design element than I've ever considered.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wonderful page today. 

Nice flow of the story all the way to the final panel. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

ITEM: That last panel is sheer magnificent. You once noted, while working with Terry Austin, that he could make a smirk or a look twist a bit, and you'd think, "Here we go!" I think that was BOTH of your efforts marrying to fantastic effect!

ITEM: Maybe we're going to see the M-Men battling the Imperial Guard? Chaos unleashed! And "hilarity ensues".

ITEM: Maybe it's the way I saw it, but when Magneto looked at Xavier's unique filing system - it looked like a vertical comic box with headers. Perhaps in this world, the Marvels Comic Group published a "The Mutants" comic, and that was part of Xavier's collection of data...?

Great birthday present! Thank you, Mr. Byrne!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

:-|
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

ITEM: That last panel is sheer magnificent. You once noted, while working with Terry Austin, that he could make a smirk or a look twist a bit, and you'd think, "Here we go!" I think that was BOTH of your efforts marrying to fantastic effect!

•••

I don’t recall saying that. Can you source it?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2021 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A little info first - as noted, the first time I found myself seeking out the credits in a comic book was in FF, in particular after a page placed in Doom's castle. After seeing it was this guy named "Bryne" (it was years before I realized it was Byrne), I wondered why he didn't have those kind of backgrounds in every panel.This page feels like an answer to that kid's question.

•••

There seem to be a lot of fans who expect every panel to be crammed with backgrounds, all intensely detailed. Heck, when I started doing commissions I was immediately besieged by fans want to know why I didn’t make every panel I drew “look like that”. Many completely ignored the fact that a 20x30 inch commission is a very different animal from a 4x6 inch panel!

<< Prev Page of 50 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version