Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter Interview Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Lengthy interview that might be of interest.

I've always liked the Jim Shooter era at Marvel.  There might have been some tension behind the scenes, but the work that was presented was great.

In my opinion, unfortunately, the professionalism, consistency, artistic writing, and creative output diminished greatly and has never recovered.

I really wished he could have purchased Marvel.  I've heard that Stan Lee and Michael Jackson planned to buy Marvel as well.  I think the industry would have benefitted from owners who appreciated the art form. 

The link to the interview is below.  It might not be click-able, so if anyone can make that happen, please do -

P.S.

Marc just gave me an idea. For anyone skeptical about link clicking
(I am one) just go to Youtube and search -

Jim Shooter interview Comic Book Historians

Edited by Eric Russ on 28 March 2021 at 2:48pm
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't click links, but let me add my two-cents, 80's Marvel was part of my GLORY DAYS of comics!!!

Marc

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hear you Marc.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

No disrespect intended but I'd rather see/listen to a roundtable discussion featuring the most influential people during the "Shooter Era" if we're gonna "go there"; the "big players" in the writing, drawing and editing the books at Marvel during that period.

THAT would make for some good listening for me.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The very early '80s were a great era for Marvel. Not just with JB on FANTASTIC FOUR, Walt Simonson on THOR, Roger Stern and JRjr on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, Frank Miller on DAREDEVIL, etc. Epic Comics was part of the Shooter era too. (Hence, the Last Galactus Story, sadly never to be finished.)

Then SECRET WARS happened, starting a trend that has yet to end. (SECRET WARS II kicked it into high gear.) X-MEN became increasingly convoluted and then insult was added to injury when X-FACTOR was introduced. The New Universe line was ill-conceived -- as a kid I honestly couldn't understand what the point was in creating that line of comics. 

Still, there were a few jewels toward the end of Shooter's tenure, the biggest one being DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN, still the best Daredevil story ever, possibly the best Frank Miller story ever. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Holy cow... almost 8 hours of Shooter reminiscing. I've watched an hour and a half and it's obviously all his own perspective, but damn interesting so far.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've always liked the Jim Shooter era at Marvel. There might have been some tension behind the scenes, but the work that was presented was great.

•••

In spite of, not because of.

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw this in my YouTube feed but thought 7+ hours seemed excessive. Maybe I'll check it out. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2021 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jim Shooter era Marvel (as editor-in-chief) started out well enough but it turned sour fast to me, but then I read people with fond memories of the two Secret Wars 'things' so I guess they have different feelings. I thought the attention on assistant editors was about where the editors were probably going to way too many conventions and the comics started pandering to the fans, and the art department started looking very generic and basic on all the house ads and often even covers... very clunky and cheap looking while the prices kept rising.

Archie Goodwin's Epic line kept me around a little while, but had I been able to hang in there I think Tom DeFalco got things a bit back on track for awhile with the core titles. It's like, a little Margaret Thatcher after all the stoppages and strikes and rationing was good, while a lot of her was really sheer poison!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Shooter era is my era of Marvel (JB's FF, Stern's Avengers, Simonson's Thor, Smith/JRjr on the X-Men, G.I. Joe...). I noticed a change in the books after Secret Wars II, stories seemed to become a little darker, especially the X-Books. The New Mutants being killed by the Beyonder took a lot away from that book. Wolverine wanting to kill Rachel Summers, the Mutant Massacre, and a bunch of other stories while not being bad comics, weren't really fun anymore.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This guy sure didn’t waste anytime getting to Stan versus Jack and
Steve did he?

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2021 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB, kind of an unrelated question, but could Shooter draw?  I was looking at an old issue of Marvel Fanfare over the weekend (one of the Perez Black Widow issues), and in the pinups section at the end, there was a Hulk picture that was credited to Jim Shooter and Terry Austin.  Never heard of Shooter drawing anything before.

There were some others that were done by Austin solo.  Awesome stuff.  Check it out if you get a chance.  

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version