Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Respecting John Byrne... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You gotta respect a guy who would not settle on being an " art robot" as he may call it. Tho his art alone would put him in the Hall of Fame, JB's visual story telling and plotting could not be ignored and duly earned him the FF title.

And I truly respect the way he uses the source material and intent of those creators to clear the fog of subsequent changes to a character and their abilities/personalities.
Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John's greatness as an artist and writer (hitter and
pitcher) make him the Babe Ruth of comics, as far as I
am concerned.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As an 8 year old, I remember thinking "whoa, that Byrne guy must be a genius".

I remember comparing Superman and Action Comics with other super hero comic books with a separated artist and writer (including Adventures of Superman, included in the Spanish Superman collection along with Action Comics and Superman), and thinking "so this guy makes the best comic books by himself, while in the others there are two guys working and it's not as exciting!"

I distinctively remember these Spanish words placed before JB's name: "Guion y dibujos" (story and art). I still had to figure out what exactly whas that "entintado" (inks) thing, though.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I remember comparing Superman and Action Comics with other super hero comic books with a separated artist and writer (including Adventures of Superman, included in the Spanish Superman collection along with Action Comics and Superman), and thinking "so this guy makes the best comic books by himself, while in the others there are two guys working and it's not as exciting!"

I grew up on the same Zinco (Spanish publisher) comics you mention, Carlos.

As a kid I found it hugely frustrating that they mixed in the "Adventures" issues with the JB issues which were what I wanted.

That feeling even grew to almost hatred of the Wolfman/Ordway run and it took me some years (and maturity!) to get over that.

Now I can acknowledge Ordway as the amazing artist he is, back then it was hard for me to appreciate him as his style was so different from JB's.

Re-reading them now, the stories were not bad at all after all and they created an internal Superman mythology that had some great elements and are still around to this day (Hamilton, Bibbo, Cat Grant, Cadmus, Star Labs, etc.).

But the tone and approach was too different to what JB was doing, they didn't mix in well. Probably a bad decision to lump them together.

No. He's not.

I get where you're coming from but I'd probably go with Peter's "He shouldn't be".

Handling Superman correctly has been proven time and time again to be extremely difficult, objectively.

Which of course, gives JB's reboot even more merit on the basis of how hard an assignment it was.

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 09 April 2021 at 10:04pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version