Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steven and Steven. I frequent a message board where quite a lot of the posters are from the U.K., and from what I understand (unless they're misleading me), most Britons don't want Charles inheriting anything.....

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

@Brian: There used to be a feeling that when the Queen died, the monarchy might die with her.

I'm not sure how true that ever was, and I think that Charles might be a bit more popular and respected than he used to be too.

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What the Britons want count for nothing. That's the institution of Monarchy. When Elizabeth dies, Charles will be King. The whole (antiquated) system is based on that simple, inescapable fact. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

QUOTE:
What the Britons want count for nothing. That's the institution of Monarchy. When Elizabeth dies, Charles will be King. The whole (antiquated) system is based on that simple, inescapable fact.
Sort of, but not quite. The UK's constitutional monarchy is quite a thing: certainly not a democracy, but not able to function outside the confines of keeping the people happy. No political power; yet gives the seal of approval that validates all governments.

Go through history and you'll see your statement isn't so clear cut. Charles I pissed off the people and lost his head.
James II's conversion to Catholicism was unpopular and when he had a catholic heir it led to him being run out of the country and his throne given over to the Dutch William of Orange and his wife Mary.
Edward VIII's abdication was purely a result of the belief that the British people would never accept Wallis Simpson as the spouse of the sovereign.

It is not just a case of like it or lump it. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The story of how a man of northern European descent was a Greek prince is very interesting. It's hard to imagine a time when new nations actually wanted royalty to rule them and would go so far as to import them. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 09 April 2021 at 4:21pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I saw Phillip in person more times than the Queen around here. We knew this was coming. He was as dotty as an old spoon sometimes and made awkward jokes, but most people seemed to like him.

R.I.P.

As for old flapping ears inheriting something, well, we ought to have him on our currency... he'll have waited long enough after all.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 09 April 2021 at 9:53pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2021 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I was educated in a British owned school in my country, had to sing "God Save The Queen" every morning and all that. Plenty of Prince Philip portraits and other royals all around (I actually shook Prince Charles' hand when he visited the school!).

Although as an adult I'm completely opposed to the concept of monarchy (the French had the right idea on this topic IMHO), those symbols still hold some power over me. Much like my Catholic upbringing.

I've always found Philip to be quite the character, I remember often choosing him when we had an essay assignment on some member of the Royal Family.

A man from the old world, with the good and the bad that entails. He had a very hard childhood, royal and all. 

The man fought the Nazis directly, he witnessed the Japanese surrender among many other things. Yet I've seen a lot of wisecracks on social media describing him as a Nazi himself. Really unfair and disrespectful, besides the fact that he did made more than a few inappropriate statements in his lifetime.

Another piece of the old world that fades away.

RIP

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 09 April 2021 at 10:59pm

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Although as an adult I'm completely opposed to the concept of monarchy (the French had the right idea on this topic IMHO), those symbols still hold some power over me. Much like my Catholic upbringing.

Rodrigo, do you mean replace a king with an emperor? :)

About Prince Philip, the man had quite a life and is an interesting character in a fictional TV show.

I realized when I saw he was born in 1921 that both my grand fathers would have turned 100 this year...

Edited by David Schmidt on 10 April 2021 at 1:17am

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rodrigo, do you mean replace a king with an emperor? :)

Heh.

Most revolutions just end up with the current ruling class replaced with a different one after all.

Bonaparte, with all his numerous faults, was a "self-made man" of his time.

And at least the plebes got quality entertainment watching the blue bloods' beheadings and the end result is that there is no French Royal Family as of this time :)

(Only half joking, as always)

Edited by Rodrigo castellanos on 10 April 2021 at 1:52am

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As a Brit, I have no time for the Royals. I don't hate them, they just mean nothing to me. That said, a wife has lost her husband of many years, which is sad.

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Phillip had a very interesting life - it would make a great film. 

Also he is an old empire man, so there was always a big dose of non-PC about him... but don't forget he was actually quite progressive originally - it's just the world moved faster than him.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2021 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And at least the plebes got quality entertainment watching the blue bloods' beheadings and the end result is that there is no French Royal Family as of this time :)

Not entirely true, French history had a monarchy come back from 1814 to 1848 called "La Restauration". Then 4 years of Republic then Empire again till 1870. Then there was a complcated time of hesitation between Monarchy and Republic which prevailed by chance.

Today we have a spanish heir of the crown who should be Louis XX who still appears from time to time. Quite good looking guy with this funny line: "I don't aspire to anything, I am".

And it should stay that way.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version