Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: What motivates you to buy? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On the Reed Richards/Autism thread, we've been discussing how difficult it is for new characters to get enough support to carry an ongoing title, as well as the impact on sales when a derivative character replaces the main character in a book, ie Jon Kent taking over the Superman title.

This made me curious- if you still read new comics, what motivates you to buy?  Creative team or characters?  Does the race, gender, or sexual orientation of a character influence your decision?  What about ret-cons?

For me, I'd say its 75% based on the creative team.  I'll try out almost any book that has an artist or writer that I love. On the flipside, there are a few creators I avoid, even if they're writing or drawing my favorite characters. One artist immediately comes to mind who is currently "hot" but who's work I can't stand, to the point where I have exited a title I liked because he took it over. 

The characters involved only account for about 25% of my buying decision.  I've never been the type of collector who obsesses over having every issue in a title, or every appearance by a particular character.

There is a short list of characters who simply don't interest me, and I'd be unlikely to buy their books no matter who was producing them- Lobo, Venom, and Harley Quinn, to name a few.  Those types of characters are simply not my cup of tea.  Other than that, I'm pretty open minded.  

If there is an artist or writer that I like, I'm more likely to try their new book if it involves characters I already like.  Ditto if the creative team is someone I've never heard of.  

Growing up, I wouldn't have been caught dead with a Wonder Woman comic, but as an adult, I am usually not influenced one way or the other by a character's race or gender.  

I know ret-cons are a huge turnoff to many readers, but I'll take them on a case by case basis.  Sometimes they turn out great.  Example: The Immortal Iron Fist created a rich back story we didn't previously know was there, and added a ton of interesting supporting characters without fundamentally changing anything about Danny Rand.  

Conversely, Secret Empire/Hydra Cap strikes me as the worst creative decision in the history of comics.  I immediately dropped the Captain America titles, and skipped any issues in my other regular titles that crossed over with the storyline. 
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For me, it's a varying mix of creative team and characters presented.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since I discovered Comixology & its sales, I have been reading a far
more varied selection of comics - much more non-superhero based
comics, but still fantasy based.

I admit that these all tend to be comics that people have recommended,
so I guess that would be my main criteria - comics that seem to
recommended by a wide range of people.

There are a very small number of creators who I still follow, but even
then, I read previews before deciding to buy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Art.
if by chance the writing is good, and the story/plot intrigues me, I may
continue on. My latest purchase was the two volumes of ASCENDER.
Dustin Nguyen’s artwork is risky and organic. I love it. Reading it came
easily, so, for this one, I win.
FAMILY TREE, so far, hasn’t caught on with me… I love Phil Hester‘s
artwork for that same risk/dynamic style he owns However, the story is
escaping me for now. Conversely, SHIPWRECK thrilled me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's totally dependent on who are the creators for me at this point, although there are characters that even with favorite creator(s) I would not be interested (Lobo, Punisher etc.). I've seen some very nice art on many new comics that I haven't wanted to buy simply because I so distrust the writing to be worth it, so it'd have to be a known quality writer as much or more as about the art.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It varies for me. For Big Two superhero books, which I only buy sporadically these days, it's almost always the characters who attract me, although the creative team is sometimes a factor. On the other hand, only a good creative team can keep me reading a title for more than a few issues. 

With independent/smaller-press comics, I'm much more open to impulse buys. If a nifty-looking cover grabs my attention and the art inside is competent, at least, I'll give the book a try. I've wasted some money with that approach, but it's also fun to discover new stuff.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh yeah, the impulse buy can get me, although rarely... Shirtless Bear-Fighter! That's like cats in tiny hats to me; I have to see at least one issue! Anything really cute/weird/unique like Yam, Beanworld or Owly too. :^)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
The characters involved only account for about 25% of my buying decision. I've never been the type of collector who obsesses over having every issue in a title, or every appearance by a particular character.

This is how I feel. Heck, I may even be at 90%+ creative team and 10%- characters involved.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Q: If you still read new comics, what motivates you to buy?  

A: Trusted creative teams or new creators that have a concept I like.  I buy very few books from either Marvel or DC and stick mainly to creator-owned work.

Q: Creative team or characters? 

A: A little of both.  I have many go-to creators.  With characters I love from Marvel or DC, it's now usually Elseworlds/What If? style scenarios, by creative teams that I love, that drag me back in. 

Q: Does the race, gender, or sexual orientation of a character influence your decision? 

A: No, but good storytelling and art does.

Q: What about ret-cons?

A: If the ret-con is something that reflects the way I perceive the character and resonates positively with me, then yes.  

On that note, I've noticed that some people cannot differentiate between an Elseworld/What If? style story and seem to get upset if their hero if their hero steps outside his usual boundaries and is portrayed as a villain.   

Conversely, if Hydra Cap had been a What If? story, I'd be cool with it.  As a piece of his continuity, not so much.   I guess that's why I mainly stay away from Marvel and DC - too many writers think "shock and awe" is the only way to do mainstream super-hero stories.  That said, I'm loving the current Defenders mini-series.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When I first started getting in to comics it was the characters I went for as I wanted to enjoy, read and learn as much about them as I could. I always liked team books so in the 80s I was consuming X-Men, Fantastic Four, All-Star Squadron, Infinity, Inc, Alpha Flight, Batman and the Outsiders, JLA, New Teen Titans and The Avengers. It got me introduced to so many other characters and in some instances their solo books.

I did get to the point where it was more the creative people that you knew could deliver good and entertaining work.

Writers like John Ostrander, Mike Baron, Chuck Dixon and Mike Grell (his art as well) on their DC and Marvel titles encouraged me to look at their works from other publishers, so I became a fan of Grimjack, Nexus, Badger, Airboy and Jon Sable as a result.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2021 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For me it's 70% creators/30% characters. Remender and Coates on Captain America and Bendis on Superman proved that I can't stick with my favorite characters if I don't like what the creative team is doing. Hickman's X-Men and Aaron's Avengers are books that I gave multiple chances to excite me. Any G.I Joe book not written by Larry Hama has become an easy ignore.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2021 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, I almost never read Marvel/DC/company owned books but if I do pick one up, it's probably related to the creative team, although a lot of my favorite creator-owned creators do work for the Big 2 that doesn't interest me in the slightest. 

(I do read the Archie horror books, which are probably the only company-owned books I read with any consistency. Those I buy because the line overall has mostly worked for me, so I'll try the new books too.)

For the non-company owned books, which are most of what I buy, if it's not a creator I already know, I'll normally buy based on the time-honored test of whether or not it looks cool to me.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version