Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Colin Powell dead at 84 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh man. I hadn't really looked at the U.S. news much yesterday... now I can see more of why another forum was acting like it was. Between shrieking about war criminals who should've been tried (why would they start with Powell though?), to this how proves vaccines are useless (which should be unbroadcastable as it harms the public health), all over Powell supposedly. Still they did leave up one quoting Powell about wiping out the Iraq army, like that's not 'posturing'?

Canadian news yesterday was mostly Trudeau in Kamloops.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Rebecca, that reminds me of the summer of 2020: Tired of "regular" forums, I decided to try my luck in a (mostly) all-female forum (from Spain).

I ended up not only banned, but my account and messages totally deleted. The reason? It turns out the forum administrator was a Spanish woman living in the USA... and she was a Trump follower.

She was the only moderator, but also shared her political (terrible) opinions from time to time. Among other things, she totally bought the disgusting conspiracies about Biden's son.

After the election, many of the users (a few of them men) that were Trump fans were totally shocked, as they were expecting Biden and Kamala to end up in jail. I created a collection of images of all the menacing messages, predicting the jail situation after Trump's win, and added a funny rolleye GIF (or something).

The administrator/moderator/Trump supporter didn't like the message and deleted it. (Fun fact: She was one of the "I voted for Obama" types). Realizing she was being totally unfair to post herself Hunter Biden conspiracies and deleting my innocent (and totally deserved) messages about failed predictions, I decided to contact the domain owners letting them know that the administrator was posting unproven accusations in their servers.

That didn't end up too well, as my account disappered shortly after. Moral of the story: Trump supporters, anti-vaxers and all kind of conspiracy theorists go into full defensive mode when reality is exposed. They will unceremoniously ban all users that don't believe in said conspiracies before accepting they're wrong. And people who voted for Obama and then for Trump are nuts.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I think someday (if we're lucky) historians will look back at political memes as emblematic of a crazy time. "This was the era of an internet awash in images of kittens with poor grammar and Hilary Clinton with blood-dripping fangs."

I guess when the new normal is extremes of personal hatred for folks a person has not actually even met and demonization based on some grouping or other, something else can become abnormal or 'the problem'... but I didn't expect it from the forum where I got caught in the posts removing frenzy yesterday, although they have had something like forty attempts to allow U.S. covid discussions which all ended in total removal. The only Canadian covid discussion thread is still there last I looked, and lulled me into a false sense that maybe just mentioning it didn't get a slap.

So two sentences and banned from commenting on a 'Colin Powell has died thread', not too extreme really. Well, it is extreme, about someone else, but not about me. Posts are like letters of comment or unsolicited contributions and can legitimately be 'edited' out.

I got permanently banned quite some time ago just for mentioning that I found some cute Bagpuss items on sale at the same site as a discussion forum. The moderator of the British version of the site promised he would get it undone, knowing it wasn't an offensive term but a '70s kids tv show, and the main site had rewarded me many times for helping new users before, but last I looked it was still in force. Weary moderators + reporter elves = you are the problem...

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Rebecca - I don't give two shits about what you are doing on other forums. It's
wildly inappropriate for you to turn a thread about the passing of a public
figure into your own personal navel-gazing therapy session. Knock it off and
move on.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The ignore function can be your friend. Well, not yours, Tim, since you’re a
mod…

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sweet.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Alright, let's get some clarity here.  Is there or is there not a RULE on showing some basic level of respect for recently deceased public figures?  If there is, then that means when people like Dick Cheney and Donald Trump depart this plane, we must ALL restrain ourselves.  If there is not, then as distasteful as I found Rebecca's comments about Colin Powell, she was not out-of-bounds.

If I am not mistaken, in the past, when some whom most of us have regarded as pretty contemptible have passed on, it was pretty much a free for all.

Marc

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don’t think that’s what Tim’s issue was, Marc.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If my "distasteful comments" were being that he admitted his biggest mistake was selling the WMD based invasion I can wear that.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 19 October 2021 at 6:28pm

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was a doozy of a mistake for sure, but even if Powell
didn't give that presentation at the UN, Bush and Cheney
would have gotten someone else to do it. They were the
ones who really wanted to go into Iraq.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marc, I think you're missing the point. All opinions about Powell are on the
table - I respected how he eventually admitted that he regretted his role in
advancing the war. But in the end he did lie to the nation and the UN, so it's
difficult for me to hold him in high regard.

My issue is Rebecca going so far off topic to turn this into a thread about
herself, and her negative experience on another forum. It's inappropriate for
the discussion and derails the thread regardless of how one feels about Powell.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2021 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, fair enough, it was an imposition on my part. I misread the extent of tolerance for it.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version