Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Journey Into Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 1  

I was born in 1972, and like many of you grew up watching "Superfriends" and the like before I ever got into comics.  I do recall getting a couple of 3/bag comics one Christmas, Marvel & Whitman stuff.  In 1982, my older brothers were into comics a few months before I was, so I was familiar with them, but not ga-ga.  The first comic that I bought with my own money was 'Star Wars' #60, because I was curious about comics and curious how this fit in with one of my favorite movies.  I quickly branched out into Captain America, Iron Man, and, yes, Captain Carrot.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 2  

That Joe Kubert Hawkman cover really stands out in that group, doesn't it?

There are really good artists, and there are really good comicbook artists, and often they are not the same thing. Jack Kirby, for instance, was a moderately good artist, but he was one of the best comicbook artists of all time. Curt Swan, on the other hand, was a truly superb artist, but in some odd fashion that stood in the way of him being a truly great comicbook artist.

Kubert, however, was and is an extraordinary fushion of both. A superb artist, and one of the best comicbook artists ever to work in the field.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 3  

The 1960s Spider-Man cartoon, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends and Super Friends were probably my first exposure to comic book characters.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
Kubert, however, was and is an extraordinary
fushion of both. A superb artist, and one of the best comicbook artists
ever to work in the field.

No arguments here. And to think -- he got his start in the industry by
sweeping up Will Eisner's eraser shavings.

Edited by John Mietus on 14 May 2005 at 8:09am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne wrote:

There are really good artists, and there are really good comicbook artists, and often they are not the same thing.

Where do you think Alex Ross lies on that spectrum ?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I was introduced to comics by all the cartoons that were out when I was a
kid.

Years later I actually bought a comic.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 7  

[QUOTE=John Mietus]That Joe Kubert Hawkman cover really stands out in that group, doesn't
it?

QUOTE]

I love Kubert, and it's a nice cover, but I don't think it's head and shoulders over the rest of them--there really isn't a bad one in the bunch, though the Batman is pretty standard stuff.  In fact, if I were to pick a favorite, the nod would go to the Gil Kane Atom cover, which I think is one of the great covers of the silver age. 

Because I'm about the same age as JB, we share some of these firsts--i.e., the Flash, B&B JLA, Hawkman, and Metalmen.  He beat me on Green Lantern, which I didn't find until his final tryout appearance with the Invisible Destroyer on the cover.

The Kubert cover raises another point for me though, which is that I always thought that the mask without wings was the best--the most birdlike, Hawklike.  I understand the wings as a decorative element, but I still prefer the character as Kubert originally (re)designed him.  This book was really my introduction to Kubert, as I wasn't a fan of war material at the time--his rich blacks and versatile textures were a revelation to me.  As quite a young kid I had seen and liked the Viking Prince, but had little awareness of artists at that point. 

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 8  

There are really good artists, and there are really good comicbook artists, and often they are not the same thing.

++++

Where do you think Alex Ross lies on that spectrum?

Much the same position as Kirby. On a purely technical level Ross' work is fairly pedestrian (tho vastly better than anything I could do), but as The-Guy-Who-Paints-Superheroes, clearly he is far above most others in the field.

Jon Godson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 9  

That Joe Kubert Hawkman cover really stands out in that group, doesn't
it?

I think that Kubert peaked artistically with Hawkman. The character looks
great, especially without the side wings on his helmet. I always thought
that, with his actual wings, the helmet wings made the character look too
busy. Without them he looks more like, well, a HAWK.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

I first encountered Superheroes via The Superman/Superboy cartoons (by Filmation I believe) in the early 70's and Batman and Robin believe it or not as guest stars in Scooby Doo. 

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Wow really impressed that you guys can remember where and when...for me it must have been the Batman show I think since I had a Batman costume and rubber ring (!) when I was three or so in 1967/8 ...used to read my friend's comics ( because his parents had a car and so could go to the market in the nearby town regularly) - these were DC so my earliest memories are Batman and things like The Justice League (which I loved!) ...but in 1972 (I think) Marvel began to reprint Fantastic Four, Spider-man and the Hulk in The mighty World of Marvel and my life was changed...the Spider-man cartoon had a great deal to do with it and I used to love Mighty Mouse because it was an animated character with super powers, which was rre indeed back then in the UK...although I do have vague memories of a Fantastic Four animated series from about the same time....I also loved Marine Boy as a kind of bargain basement Namor, and anything in which the characters had super powers...like The Champions, a British show that has vanished without trace...

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

A few clues to a lifetime of mad love:

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version