billionaire investor who has a stake in
the company agreed to raise money for his
campaign.

LINK
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If the Chinese can take our collective inability to lipsync or dance as a national security weakness, then we're truly f*cked.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The most direct problem is people in high office and the military using it, or even just having the app on their devices. If nothing else a total ban of Tic Tok for people in those positions would be logical.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

DOD put out guidance several years ago about not having the app on DOD phones and devices. There's already been guidance in place for years about personally owned devices being in secure locations like a TOC or a SCIF. 
'Pillow talk' remains the main open sieve when it comes to leaking military info, especially troop movements, but the guidance to avoid that on social media has been out there for years. It's even part of the guidance put out by Family Support Groups for military spouses. 

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2024 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"'Pillow talk' remains the main open sieve when it comes to leaking military
info...."

It took me minute to realize "Pillow Talk" wasn't a new app of some kind.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Giving guidance doesn't mean it will be followed, looking at some of the service people arrested for taking pictures in classified areas. Just the ability to track individuals would be invaluable. Ryan McBeth has a video on TikTok's use as a cyberweapon.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Guidance, laws, regulations. You can write 'em all down, shout 'em 'til you're blue in the face, and someone will still ignore them.
Even back in the early days of cell phones that could take pictures, we had to confiscate all of them that we could when someone came into our SCIF until the time that they left the SCIF. Ultimately, unless you do a full body pat down and x-ray, you're still dependent on their willingness to tell you that they had a cellphone on them.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2024 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Traffic lights don't have to be obeyed, and sometimes aren't. That doesn't mean of course they should all be removed for imposing on one's liberty and freedom. You do what you can for the welfare of the most people. Thus a garden shop has to have a qualified dispenser on hand to be able to sell pesticides and poisons or be fined or even ultimately lose it's license to do business. Restaurants get inspected regularly. Individual communities have banned fireworks and airports drone use... in Canada some Aboriginal communities have banned alcohol. I might want a working flame thrower or grenade/rocket launcher, but my neighbours should get a say about that to say the least.

I guess I'm a bit of a mean old tyrant but I would pretty much do whatever can be done to keep people under 16 off the internet, the virtual highway, as much as real paved ones. And as for trade with communist countries; should very limited and careful! I think the pandemic slow down of ports showed where we are too dependent on Chinese manufacturing, which are very different for the worker there compared to manufacturing here in our own markets (political and cultural prisoners etc.). They still have that mousey tongue (starver of millions while he remained very full) on their currency as well as framed at Tienanmen Square... and that does mean something. Talk to the escapees coming in via Mexico now from China, their input on Tic Tok might mean something.

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Honestly, I don't care if it's banned. I used to think otherwise because of the security concerns but I changed my mind. Just about any company or product that collects your data, from social media to cellphones to various websites to frequent shopper programs, sells data on users to data brokers who can and do sell to anyone. If Tic-Tok is sold off or banned there is nothing stopping China from turning to data brokers, who are not regulated, to buy any data they want. Until data brokers are regulated your data isn't safe anyway.

Edited by Michael Murphy on 03 May 2024 at 1:24am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Tic-Tok ban is a show.  Of course it is.  It’s a continuation of the GOPs insistence that COVID (something many on that side still contend to this day is nothing more than the common cold) was engineered in a lab in Wuhan to destroy Western interests, specifically America, and has since been used to justify all sorts of abuses against Asians here in the states, yet another “outside threat” to their “blood and soil” rhetoric.  

That they spend so much time, effort and tax payer dollars against it but turn a blind eye to Meta and Google, among others, is certainly telling. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

China being hit hard by Covid itself should be enough for any rational person to know it was no plan. Then again a lot of people seem ripe for the old scapegoating shtick to distract from whatever their own sins might be; always some other enemy, half a world away or next door, doesn't seem to matter.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2024 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm baffled at why people here seem to think that the Republican control the House, Senate, and the presidency. They seem to agree with Marjorie Taylor-Greene that the GOP can dominate the other branches by sheer willpower. This was a separate bill that passed both houses overwhelmingly and was signed by Joe Biden, Democrat.

A data broker would never give the PRC the kind of information that a company in their own country that they can control can. Data brokers wouldn't track or spy on individuals.

The deliberate release claim is a strawman designed to stop discussion about the evidence that COVID was created in a lab. The validity of that is widely accepted and even Anthony Fauci admits that it's credible. (Dismissing it as a racist theory has also been done.) Looking at the facts, it appeared in Wuhan, more than 600 miles from it's known source in bats. The only near sources were government labs, one, the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), had a history of lax standards and was trying to make the coronavirus more virulent with gain of function (gof) research. There's no evidence of an intermediate animal carrier or an intermediate form that is more virulent in animals than humans. It appeared optimized to infect humans, with a furin cleavage site that was highly unlikely to evolve naturally and which the WIV had proposed adding to the coronavirus in a proposal. It may have been an accidental release, but there's evidence that China let the rest of the world suffer along with them by letting foreigners return to their countries while restricting domestic travel.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version