Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Q for everyone - what makes a good FANTASTIC FOUR run? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2024 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In my opinion, a consistent vein of exploration is the single most important aspect of a great Fantastic Four run. Time travel, Subterranea, outer space, the Negative Zone, the Microverse, and undersea kingdoms, these are the locales that set the foundation upon which the team's identity is built. Even solidly terrestrial settings such as Wakanda, Attilan, and Latveria show an otherworldly aspect.
And while the Fantastic Four are properly giants in New York City, when done "properly", they become much smaller fish in the vast ponds they explore.
To me, the most identity-defining-image of the team is the small image of the four tiny heroes running through darkness to gain, not the safety, but potential danger of Reed's experimental rocket--as if to reach out, across darkness, to touch the expanse. 

The Fantastic Four's Spaceship to Be Named for the First Time Spoilers
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2024 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

For me, a key element is rational thinking and cool-headedness winning the day. Another key elements is the four strong characters set in a good story (I know, real insight here). Some awe-inspiring grandeur helps as well.

The reason I think good runs have happened infrequently is that writers all too often think they can just throw in the catchphrases and some fisticuffs, mix, and hey presto, a good FF story. But the things I mentioned above take more thought and effort.

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Continuity. I don't know how JB did it for so long, but each story flowed flawlessly into the next
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

For me, a good FF story arc begins with a Cosmic-level mystery, which, through a combination of Reed's virtually unparalleled logical brain, and Ben, Sue and Johnny's much-practised teamwork and highly inventive use of their powers, can see the team having adventures set in any time period, in any location throughout the Universe, fighting with or against exotic characters and races, facing physical, mental and ethical challenges that would destroy lesser heroes :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Filtering the three FF runs that I genuinely loved - Byrne, Lee/Kirby, and Waid/Various (but best with Wieringo) - the things that make the book work for me are a tricky balance of cosmic scope and character dynamics.  There's also a sensation of change; sometimes illusory, sometimes a little more permanent - that bit is a lot more important than I think is generally recognized, as those changes were organic but necessary in hindsight to bring the book into the (then) present day. 

Knowing the voices of the characters is also key - JB in particular really knew how to script for each of the main players.  Simonson's run only misses for me in that department - in many ways, it would otherwise be my favorite, as it's beautifully drawn and perhaps the MOST cosmic of all, but something gets a little lost with the inner lives of the characters. It's telling that JB's second (I think?) issue was the street-level mystery of Johnny trying to clear the hood's name, which is on paper about the least FF premise possible.  But it works beautifully, both as a stand-alone story and as a foundational brick in a longer run.

That's the other thing - it's a team book, sure, but some of the most memorable stories are the sidebars with the individual characters, where sometimes the rest of the team aren't even on panel. Knowing whose story it really is with a given issue is a major skill.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There's two reasons I give JB's run the number one spot, even over Lee/Kirby (which I recognize is blasphemous).  One is the whole "golden age of (whatever) is twelve" aspect, and I was INDEED in my tweens during JB's run and it was my first real exposure to the team in an era when access to the 60's comics was pretty limited.  Secondly, particularly at the time, I was very much a hard sci-fi guy, in the Clarke/Niven way, and I appreciated that JB made a real effort to ground things in real science wherever possible - certainly what was above the 'magic black box' standard of the day. Fantastical concepts grounded in known scientific principles was obviously not Kirby & Lee's jam.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My short list:
  • love and an unbreakable bond- yes, they argue, sometimes passionately, but these four people LOVE each other; they are family and that will NEVER come apart
  • science- it might be anything under the sun but they are science fiction based, not fantasy or magic based, and that's the core of who they are and what they do; a great run builds on that
  • a sense of wonder and possibility- the FF are explorers who discover the new and expand the Marvel universe constantly, more than any other team or hero--it's their mission statement; a great run brings more into the world and builds on what is already there
  • the right balance of old and new- a great run brings in the classic villains, offering up new threats and ways to challenge this team, while new enemies surface that resonate with the FF thematically and contrast with them

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Good post, Andrew. I think you've hit the nail on the head with those four points, and I'm glad you mentioned the classic villains. The FF have a great extended cast of characters.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2024 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version