Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Where’s Michael? (with OMAC drift) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

An OMAC Artist Edition would be a major mental challenge to the dimbulbs who complain that they aren’t in color!
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It would surely spark some "what the heck is Byrne doing this time?" from those who didn't know of the book previously.
FWIW, I thought it was incredible... and an Artist Edition would be a major bookshelf get.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hands up everyone not surprised to be told some declared OMAC to be “rushed”!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

An OMAC tale some of you may know:

When I convinced the Powers that Were to let me do OMAC in black and white, they demanded an un-toned version, too, so a color edition could be done. This was disappointing, since it meant I could not use the tones for line, or to define forms, as Wally Wood had often done.

So, I did all the line and form work in the conventional manner, sending in the pages to be photostated (in those pre-scanning days), and then the pages were sent back to me to add tones.

And when it was all done DC lost the stats. All of them.

Several years later, when DC changed offices, they were found behind some flat files. By then, no one was interested in that color edition any more.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm glad that the version in print is the one you preferred, JB. It really is beautiful work.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It's perfect the way it is. 

Some of JB's best work (IMO).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I agree—and I don’t think it’s immodest to say so, given how hard I am on my own work.

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I can't believe anyone could claim OMAC looked rushed. The artwork was simply amazing!

I'd never read an OMAC story before or since, so I was a complete blank slate (pun partially intended), coming into this series. I was completely enthralled by both the story and the art.

This would have been a fun one to see as an Artist Edition.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There was one kid in my comics class at RISD who redrew the endpapers from OMAC and submitted uncredited as an assignment. During the class review, I mentioned it and it turned into a real shitstorm for him, about which I felt very badly.

Edited to add: Strike that - I misremembered.  While I DID recognize that he'd lifted the drawing wholesale, I kept it to myself. But the third actual comics geek in class recognized it and called it out during review. The shitstorm did ensue but I thankfully wasn't responsible for it.

On a more positive note, even though a goodly number of the comics I read at the time were b&w's, OMAC really stood out to me as a graphic wonder.  Maybe that's because the indies were b&w for economic reasons, and JB's choice was an artistic one, and maybe it's because JB is just that good.  I still enjoy it more than Sin City,* which is admittedly a graphic masterpiece, but felt more like a style exercise than a comic, and OMAC is an embrace of comics in a very full-throated way.

I tried to buy myself some DuoShade paper and it's somewhat telling that not even the professional supplies store downtown (rather than, you know, artsy stores closer to campus) carried it.  They'd be happy to order it for me, but only cash up front and only in bulk, which put an end to it for me.

*Making that particular comparison because they both came out in 1991, not for any other reason.

Edited by Dave Kopperman on 03 May 2024 at 9:46pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 May 2024 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I can't believe anyone could claim OMAC looked rushed. The artwork was simply amazing!

•••

DC initially solicited OMAC at the same price as a color series. When I heard, I insisted they re-solicit, not charging fans for color that was not there. At first, they protested, saying re-soliciting would require rescheduling. The book would ship three months later than planned.

I stuck by my guns, but it also meant that OMAC shipped at the same time as several other projects I’d had in the works for almost a year. For many fans, coming out at the same time meant these books were done at the same time, hence “rushed”. OMAC being in B&W simply meant it was unfinished!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2024 at 4:02am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I remember in the mid '80s some fans saying Ditko, Kirby and Toth art was "too simple", I guess they were in heaven when the cross-hatching brigade came in a bit later. Do we get the comics we deserve? :^/

I still have Omac on my 'to get' list; still catching up. If it looks and reads as good as Next Men/M4 it must be amazing!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2024 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Molly from OMAC is one of my favorite Byrne characters. He takes her through a journey!

Note - I don't think I've ever read Kirby's OMAC, so I have no idea if she was a character in that series.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version