Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Official ACTION COMICS 828 thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 1  

Ummm, I have heard more bitching about Nelson than I have heard about him "saving the day". Now La Rosa on Blood, aside from that fact that he is basically tracing JB's pencils and using more horror oriented inking techniques in some places, they say he is saving the art there until I point out the consistency with recent Doom Patrol issues...

Jason

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 2  

Damn. Now if there's one page that should be shot from pencils, that last
page above is it. Great pencil shading on the Great Wall!
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 3  

Now, JB, if only you had drawn some background in that last page it would have been pretty good.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 4  

Great last page, JB! And I suppose that the rest of the comic book is good, too!
Probably I'll see it in 2 or 3 weeks...

Dave Farabee
Byrne Robotics Member
Quit Forum

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Another fan here.

Some particular favorite moments...

*Loved the dramatic top-of-the-bridge perspective on the opening double-splash.

*For whatever reason, I always enjoy seeing Superman speaking other languages - even just the bit of Spanish we see early on. Gives him the cosmopolitan image I like and reminds readers that he's a friend to all nationalities and traditions.

*Jimmy Olsen...Superman's pal!

*"Have them call my editor, Perry White, around lunch. He says threats improve his digestion." Yep, Supes has a pretty cool supporting cast when they're written well.

*Always happy to see Superman countering the bad guys with smarts as he does here. I did think the pop-psych "breakthrough" with Polaris came a little quick, but that's sort of the adult in me arguing with the kid who's just fine with fast-paced superhero sensibilities.

*As mentioned, JB draws a great Black Adam. I liked that Adam presumed Superman's greatness came from a racial heritage - very "old world" point of view, very Black Adam - little guessing that it might just be some good, solid Midwesterners behind his ethics and drive.

*The Lois & Clark scenes. I'm from the "not a fan of the marriage" school, but were the couple always written this well, I'd be a lot less critical. Lois is a good sounding board for our hero, honestly. It's kind of harsh to say it that way, but she (and Jimmy, and all the other supporting players) provide Superman with friends to talk to in order to draw out his code of ethics, internal thoughts, and such. Observations of his character which would probably have appeared in his own thought balloons in the Silver Age find a better purchase (at least to my mind) in back-and-forth conversation.

On a related note, I'm just happy to see Superman's compassion brought up at all (without feeling preachy). Stuff like that meant a lot to me when I was a kid, and I think Stan Lee's "philosophy" (which was pretty much the default "Marvel philosophy" for a decade or two) shaped my morality as much as anything else in those days. I like to think that Superman's selflessness might have the same effect, and just hope that younger readers are getting books like this and not the more morally nebulous IDENTITY CRISIS. What was it Meltzer had a character observe of Superman in that series? "He hears what he wants to hear?", implying a selective moral code? No way. Not a chance. The Superman I'm reading in ACTION is the real deal.

That other one's gotta be a Doombot.

-Dave

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 6  

Excellent issue, and I thought Nelson's inks were a better fit this time around.  I wasn't so crazy about the inking in issue 827, but it takes a while for an artist and inker to find their groove.  There were so many cool things going on, and I loved how Jimmy Olsen just climbed up the bridge tower without hesitation -- he's truly Superman's Pal, isn't he?  The subplot with Shephard is also intriguing and highlights what a "tough broad" Lois is supposed to be.  (Shephard also mirrors the real-life case of Alberto Vilar, generous arts patron who gave millions to the Met Opera and even had the Met Opera Grand Tier named after him, only to find out he was raiding personal accounts in his mutual funds company to pay for this generosity).

And that last page - stunning.  I admit, as somebody who only read Superman faithfully during Byrne's run two decades ago but grew up knowing his mythos, it's STILL odd to see Lois married to, and aware of, his true identity.  It could be a bit of a chemistry killer, but I also worry that it's written off Lana Lang forever.  But if Lois and Superman were written and drawn by Simone and Byrne from now on, I think I'd have no worries.

Good job.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 7  

I agree that Nelson has toned down his act just a bit with this issue, and it looks even better. I hope this combo continues to shine. Very happy with the series so far. Keep up the good work.

Ron Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 8  

Simply  a great, fun book.

JB and Gail are quite a team.

I liked the inks last ish, and they were better this time.

Best appearance by Jimmy in I don't know how long.

Can't wait to re-read this one. And how many days to the next?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 9  

Man, sometimes it sucks having to go the online route for comics. Since this is a five week month ( again) I'll have to wait 2 more weeks before getting this one. If that splash is in this issue, I've got a dandy of a treat to wait for!

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2005 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 10  

If that splash is in this issue, I've got a dandy of a treat to wait for!

It is, and you do!

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 11  

If Superman and Lois are to be married, then this is the way to do it.  And Gail once again lives up to her promise: action.

And that last page is beautiful and ought to be released by DC as a poster.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12  

Read the issue last night (peculiar side effect of marriage: inability to read comics the night I buy them) and loved it. Repulse is a great villainess and I hope we'll see her again sometime... ah, you know what I mean. Lois has a couple great scenes and Jimmy's just too cool.

Way to go, Team Action!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version