Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: DOOM PATROL 17 - SneekPeek (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2005 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

That page says everything about why I love your art and, even moreso, your storytelling.  The first panel with Rita setting the helicopter down just looks so amazingly neat to me.  I anxiously await issue 17!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2005 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 2  

DOOM PATROL is my favorite JB comic of the three he is working on now.  I really hope that #18 isn't the last issue.

Santino Manahan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

Joe Zhang wrote:
Does that skull look feminine to anyone ? 

Me. I was thinking the same thing..

Back to Top profile | search

Scott Michael
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Terminated

Posted: 18 June 2005 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

Looks fantastic.  I can't believe 17 issues are "in the can" already.  I am praying -- honest -- that DC extends the series.  It is my favorite along with BLOOD OF THE DEMON.

Cesar Madarro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2005 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

How long will it take now to know if DP is cancelled?

Will we know from Mr Byrne or DC first?

Is it possible at this point that not even the artist knows if the next issue to pencil will be the last one of the title?

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2005 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm sure that it will be a great issue!!!!

Wow...Negative Man goes berserk!!!

But this week we'll get issue 13. Four months to see this page inked, colored and printed over paper in my hands...sigh!!

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7  

DP is far and away my favorite Byrne title at the moment.  BotD is coming along, but I am less than enamored with Action Comics and am just hoping that it grows on me. 

I DO wish that the decision on the fate of Doom Patrol would be made asap.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 8  

Hey guys, if you love Doom Patrol and want to see it continue, wishing is not enough. We have to go out and convince others to try it , in the shops, on other comic boards. 
Back to Top profile | search | email

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 9  

The page, as always, looks great JB. Reading the current issues and seeing these small snippets of future issues really keeps me excited that this 18 issue run is going to have a nice climax. Here's to building up for another 18 issues after that.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Awesome pencils - I am really looking forward to Doom Patrol this week. I always like when Terry Austin and JB work together and while I have enjoyed the different inkers JB has been paired with, I can't wait to see these next two issues. This series gets better with each issue.

Rob Hearn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Veddy nice. Neat how that last panel looks like two panels (in black & white anyway). I initially thought it was!

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Great page,hope theres a few more issues to come.Some people can't see a class comic even if you poke them in the eye with one.Good luck JB.

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2005 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 13  

There's nothing like a Byrne skeleton.

Melissa Ashton
Byrne Robotics Member
Nudge

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 14  

Love that first panel.

Love it all, but the first panel just hits me harder somehow.

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 15  

Joe Zhang wrote:
Hey guys, if you love Doom Patrol and want to see it continue, wishing is not enough. We have to go out and convince others to try it , in the shops, on other comic boards. 

Joe, I'm going to go out on a limb here... this is pretty much against anything else I've said on the subject, but I'm trying a new line of thought...

Why not let it die?  Byrne'll get another job.  I love Doom Patrol, but I loved X-Men:Hidden Years, and so on and so on, and they all get cancelled, but in the end, there's always something else around the corner. 

My new way of looking at it is this:  There's an active hatred of Byrne in what's left of comic fandom.  Byrne could be curing cancer with his books, but the whinny crap-eating donkey-raping pigs that make up comic fandom will still whine and cry about it, and will actively campaign to get his stuff cancelled.  But, lo and behold, each time that happens, he's back with another book.   And each time, we all huff and puff and try to keep the books alive, and it's a losing battle, but... that's looking at the smaller picture - the bigger picture is that, no matter what, each month, we'll get some Byrne, no matter how much the f*cking scum that make up comic fandom whine, cry, beg, cheat and steal.  So they can have their little victories of getting each book cancelled - let them have it - it's all they have in their sad mastabatory lives - yet we, the fans of John Byrne's work, continue to get his stuff each month, no matter what.

Remember - all those sh*t-eating pigs can do is get books cancelled here and there - in the bigger picture?  We still get Byrne every month.  We're still a strong enough base of fans to merrit monthly work - DC knows that.  No matter what, if we look at the bigger picture, we're always the winners here. 

Take it a step further; we've got the high ground anyway - we're celebrating something we like.  Those botched abortions spend, nay, waste time on things they DON'T like.  Can you think of anything sadder than that?  Makes crib-death look funny. 

So, screw it.  Let's be really honest here.  We all knew Doom Patrol was doomed from the get-go - it's a serving of fois de gras at a pie-eating contest - frankly, comic fandom, that fat, bloated, gassy should've-been-a-blow-job that it is, is just too f*cking stupid to enjoy it.  It never stood a chance.  We should all understand that.  So why waste tears over a non-existant 19ith issue?  Be glad that we managed to get 18, and look forward to whatever Byrne will do in it's place.

Remember, true believers - we've just better people.  We enjoy something.  Stop and pat yourself on the back.  

No matter what the fat f*ck at your local store tells you, no matter what you read on-line, no matter what it says in the fan magazines... you are the winner here.  You are the better person.

Besides... even if you're not a good person, at least you don't get some sick sexual pleasure by massaging your limp and flacid sore-ridden member when attacking a guy who makes super-hero stories.  Seriously - sadder than crib-death.   

John McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Revoked

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:01am | IP Logged | 16  

Mike O'Brien wrote:
Byrne could be curing cancer with his books, but the whinny crap-eating donkey-raping pigs that make up comic fandom will still whine and cry about it, and will actively campaign to get his stuff cancelled.  But, lo and behold, each time that happens, he's back with another book.   And each time, we all huff and puff and try to keep the books alive, and it's a losing battle, but... that's looking at the smaller picture - the bigger picture is that, no matter what, each month, we'll get some Byrne, no matter how much the f*cking scum that make up comic fandom whine, cry, beg, cheat and steal.  So they can have their little victories of getting each book cancelled - let them have it - it's all they have in their sad mastabatory lives - yet we, the fans of John Byrne's work, continue to get his stuff each month, no matter what.

This is a work of poetic genius.

Sometimes people don't support a book because they just don't enjoy it - hence BOTD finding an audience, and Doom Patrol not.

Edited by John McMahon on 20 June 2005 at 4:03am

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 17  

Mike O'Brien wrote:
... this is pretty much against anything else I've said on the subject, but I'm trying a new line of thought...

You have a remarkable turn-of-phrase there Mike;-)

The "key" element to me is "why" hire a creator to work on a book if five minutes after they are on the book or have left the book, they are going to rewrite everything?

Should John be moving on from DP, I'd like to see everything he's established on the book be maintained by future creatives. How can companies "establish" characters if they are constantly being reworked?

If all we cared about as "fans" was that John was producing artwork, then really all he need do would be pin-ups. But there's more, we like to see "stories" and this means "One-offs", "Arcs" and "long tenures" and all that that intails.

DP has now moved on, IMO it has become much more than "John Byrne doing Doom Patrol", Now it really -is- Doom Patrol. To cancel it now is to undermine a well established and put together product.

We need creators, like JB to do -more- long tenures in order to provide some stability to a market that appears to be rapidly feeding on itself.

John McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Revoked

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 18  

I think you'll get that on Action Comics - I'd be surprised if Gail/John don't do a long, successful run on that.

Edit : Who's in the middle of long runs on WFH superhero books at the mo ?

Edited by John McMahon on 20 June 2005 at 4:15am

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 19  

..."why" hire a creator to work on a book if five minutes after they are on the book or have left the book, they are going to rewrite everything?

I have long since given up any delusions that work I do in this field -- other than creator owned stuff -- is ever going to be bulletproof. Or work anyone else does, for that matter. There are too many fanboys-turned-"pro" who take great delight is scuttling other people's work, sometimes even trying to do it while the work is being done, not even having the tiny courtesy needed to wait until a particular writer or artists is finished with what he's doing.

I don't expect my run on DOOM PATROL to survive as "canon" more than a year beyond my last issue, whatever number that might be. Probably not even six months. And not because DC officially sanctions anything, either. I can think of three or four "professionals" who are already champing at the bit, waiting for their opportunity to take potshots at my version of the DP.

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 20  

Nicely said Mike.I enjoy DP and i know JB is enjoying it too,you can see it in his work. I don't much bother which title JB does, as long as he's doing something but 3 issues a month has been a joy for this long time Byrne fan.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 21  

John Byrne wrote:
I have long since given up any delusions that work I do in this field -- other than creator owned stuff -- is ever going to be bulletproof. Or work anyone else does, for that matter.

See, I wouldn't expect the work to be bullet-proof either but you'd like to think that things wouldn't be changed "just because they can!" -Grrr, it's frustrating for me as an onlooker, what it's like for someone who worked on it, I can only imagine.

John Byrne wrote:
There are too many fanboys-turned-"pro" who take great delight is scuttling other people's work,

I, obviously "like" the fact that fans-can-turn-pro, simply because I'm a fan with aspirations. However, I don't see why I might ever need to overwrite existing lore just to make my own mark! Surely you can do that by doing the best damn Captain Fonebone stories there are or ever was, without rewriting everything about the character!? Surely this mentality shouldn't be encouraged by the Editors?

John Byrne wrote:
I can think of three or four "professionals" who are already champing at the bit, waiting for their opportunity to take potshots at my version of the DP.

And now we reach the saddest news...that sickens me. What sad lives these so called "professionals" must lead to want to knock down the dominoes set up by a particular artist.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 22  

Any signs of renewing the contract for DP, JB?   Do you still have time to pick up after issue 18?  This series should continue.

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 23  

~~~~~Joe, I'm going to go out on a limb here...(snip)...sadder than crib-death.

Not an official subject until Mike O stamps it with his down home, good ol' fashioned, all American opinion!

You kill me... :)

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 24  

Sure if DP dies, then so be it -- JB's probably got three more projects lined up to take its place. Nothing to compain about there !

But let me throw out this bit of flamebait: did we, us fans, really do anything substantial to promote DP in the crucial first few months? Or were we an "amen corner" -- that just stayed in a corner ?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 25  

Joe Zhang wrote:
Or were we an "amen corner" -- that just stayed in a corner ?

You are absolutely right Joe but then, the fans shouldn't be expected to do this... The company and the retailers are expected to do this.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version