Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: The Star Brand QUestions for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hello, I'v just finished the entire run of "The Star Brand" and I found it a fascinating read. Both for the treatment of the story, the unexpected finale and all the behind the scenes stuff with the anavoidable references to Jim Shooter.

I really like JB's take about Science fiction and how he managed to integrate time travel stories. I really wish there was more of the JB/Tom Palmer team on this run. I really like how the two styles meshed. Especially for the character of Myron.

Just imagine : a John Romita Jr Design, pencilled par JB and inked by Tom Palmer :  great combination !!

If that's possible, I'd like to ask JB some questions about some elements as I cn't figure out how some daring elements of it were authorized to pass :

1) First, what did you think of the Shooter/RomitaJr run ? What interest did you have in the story ? Did you ask to follow their run or was it request from some editors friends ?

2) Was the character of Ken Connell really Jim Shooter ? I mean, it seems hard to believe that such a narcissic move could be allowed to pass in comics. Do you know the reasons of such a... weird move from the part of the former CEO ?

3) When you took over, you were pretty harsh with the character of Ken Connell. Was it reflecting the feelings you had with Jim Shooter or was it more how the industry regarded him ?

4) The realistic parts and the SF parts of your run really made me think of Next Men, especially the DP7 crossover with the president of the US who was also a villain with super powers. Do you think it could have been the first draft of you ideas for the Next men Universe ?

5) I notice that except for one issue, you were mostly doing breakdowns. Were you busy on other projects ? I do like the breakdown style in this run as it made an even transition with Romita's style.

6) Do you remember if the sales of Star Brand got higher in your run or how your run was perceived ? There were so many radical ideas I cannot believe I found all those issues in quarter bin boxes. I mean, this run, for all its experimental value is really a hidden gem and a model for every Bendis who's trying to deconstruct the "super hero" genre. (I really liked how Shooter and JB in very different ways were able to cram so much story in each issue)

7) Howard mackie and Marc Gruenwald made cameos in this run. How much were they involved in the development of the stories and the Pitt's crossover ? Was it your idea ?

8) Do you know how Shooter responded to your run ?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

1) I found Shooter's run on STAR BRAND to be very annoying. The art was, of course, exquisite, but the depth of Shooter's hypocrisy never ceased to amaze me. Example: one of his "rules" for the New Universe was that it must be "the world outside your window". Somewhere along the way he had picked up this phrase and, after trying and failing to impose it on the real Marvel Universe, he made it the cornerstone of the NU, forcing the writers of the other books to come up with elaborate and contrived ways their characters could operate without finding themselves on the nightly news. Meanwhile, in STAR BRAND, Shooter had terrorists use a nuclear device to hijack a cruise ship in New York harbor. Odd that I saw no mention of that on "World News Tonight".

2) Largely, yes.

3) I followed thru on the character arc I felt Shooter had established for Connell. One of the rules I set for myself, in fact, was that I would not use the book to take cheap shots at Shooter. Revenge, as they say, is a dish best eaten cold.

4) Not so much a "first draft" as an earlier take on the same concepts: if there are super powered beings in the world, how does the world change?

5) I had a pretty full plate at that time, as I recall. When Howard Mackie asked me to write and pencil the book, I said I would provided I could do breakdowns and we could get Tom to do finishes.

6) No idea about sales.

7) Howard and Mark had a lot of input on all the NU books.

8) One of the characters Shooter put in the book was based on an old girlfriend of his. He did not get her to sign a release to use her name or likeness. After he left the book, she threatened to sue. Just a coincidence, I am sure.

Back to Top profile | search

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

So...if it's the world outside our window....does that mean Shooter is now operating a cult in a tattered robe?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've just started picking up some N.U. stuff in my shop's 3/$1 boxes. I can
easily see how it was doomed from the start, but nevertheless some of the
books, especially the Shooter run on Star Brand, were very good.

I didn't know about the ex-girlfriend part, though. It was even down to her
name?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

I sold the entire New Universe run, specials & all, on eBay this past year. As I was going through the books, when I first picked up the collection they were a part of, I saw many issues I had never seen before. The last few issues of most title, particulary "Star Brand" (JB's run), are really hard to find, even in discount bins.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I picked up Star Brand at a Baltimore LCS 2 years ago-- they were having a clearance sale on back issues, and were selling select series en masse.

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

<<5) I had a pretty full plate at that time, as I recall.
When Howard Mackie asked me to write and pencil the book,
I said I would provided I could do breakdowns and we
could get Tom to do finishes.>>

MY recollection is, as with most things I asked you to
do, you immediately refused because of the full palte
thing... and I would always say, "Oh... you don't have to
give me an answer NOW! Just think about it." Knowing full
well how the JB mind works... a week later you would
always come back to me with a year long overview...
whilst cursing me out. Or, in the case of The West Coast
Avengers, two completed issues. Ha! They just don't make
editors like THAT a
Back to Top profile | search

Chris Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 9:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

What about the Sun-spot appearance in Legends John? Was that before or after the Star Brand run and what was it all about?

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2005 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Howard, did you also use whips on your writers & artists?
you are a sly one! Seriously, that's what makes a good boss.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2005 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 10  

This topic reminded o me that I haven't any issue of JB's STARBRAND. In Italy only DP7 and STARBRAND were published (plus THE PITT and maybe another special), and I have the first issues of the Shooter/Romita, Jr. run, but I have never seen an issue by our chief. Can anyone tell me which issues do feature his run?

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2005 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 11  

Francesco: 12 - 19 

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 12  

Thank you, Daniel!

8 issues... I'll find them easily.