Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Question for John Byrne about the Beyonder (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

She-Thing-- another character I have no use for.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2005 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 2  

And people asked me why I stopped reading Marvel Comics after JB
started drawing Superman.
Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2005 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 3  

The Beyonder in the first Secret Wars series and the uncanny x-men and Byrne's FF tie-ins to the second series was OK. The second series (Secret Wars II) wasn't very good but it's still the real beyonder writen by Shooter. it ends with the beyonder becoming a new universe. for me it's the end of his story.

After Jim Shooter resigned as EIC, some revengefull writers did what they could to ridiculise the character. I think it's englehart who wrote this bad FF story (his run on FF during the late 80's with mutated Ben and She-thing wasn't very good anyway. And I prefer Englehart on solo characters books like Captain America or Batman.).

We saw this fake post-Shooter co(s)mic cube Beyonder in 90's Guardians of the Galaxy too. And I think that his last appearance was as a girl (powerless I think???) in Thanos writen by Keith Giffen (after Starlin leave the series).

IMO there's no Beyonder post-Shooter. Don't forget that Shooter is not the most loved man in comicdoom. (there's reasons for that, but he's still -most of the time- a very good writer (daredevil, the first Secret Wars series, avengers, etc...) and was a very good EIC, who really cared about the characters, the stories and accordingly the creators. Even if he was a tyran and had not been correct toward Roy Thomas and if there's some other things that it's better to never talk about anymore.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2005 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 4  

The "pineapple" Thing was an attempt to make him "monstrous" again. He'd become so cute and cuddly over the years -- Fozzie Thing, as I called him -- that sometimes people even forgot completely that he was supposed to be monstrous and frightening. (Remember the Marv Wolfman story that featured a "monstrous" version of the FF -- including a "monstrous" version of the Thing? D'oh!)

Problem was, no one was really up to the task of making him scary again, while still keeping him recognizably the Thing. (Truth of the matter is, he had not really be scary, a "thing" since the first couple of issues of FANTASTIC FOUR -- and he was becoming a lot less monstrous even by the third issue. Nothing will ever really match the huge, misshappen -- yet still able to wear a trenchcoat! -- Thing of the introductory pages in the first issue.)

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2005 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5  

JB, I did enjoy your "oatmeal" Thing.
Would I be correct in assuming that, in your opinion, Ben should not be able to change back & forth to the Thing?

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2005 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6  

I liked the beyonder better when he appeared in Superman....oh, wait, that was MYX.....

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2005 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 7  

It is interesting to read Stan Lee's script for FF #1 and see how the Thing was supposed to be the heavy-which he quickly stopped being.

"Ben is a huge, surly, unpleasant guy .................Let's treat him so that reader is always afraid he will sabotage the Fantastic Four's efforts at whatever they are doing -- he isn't interested in helping mankind the way the other three are -- he is more interested in winning Susan away from XXX Mr. Fantastic"

http://www.ffplaza.com/commcenter/articles/origin.shtml

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2005 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

I liked "Pineapple Thing" specifically because the mutation was so grotesque.  The She-Thing was a little contrived though.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 9  

I liked the Beyonder better when he appeared in Superman...oh,wait, that was MXY....

=================================

Correction. It was shown in an issue of Superman (# 50, I think), that Mxyzptlk is actually the Impossible Man from the Fantastic Four.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 10  

I think what made Ben scary in the early FFs was not how he looked, but how he felt: full of rage, misery, self-pity, and envy of his team-mates.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 11  

Greg, I think you'll find that's the other way around.

Robert Walter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

I liked the Beyonder better when he appeared in Superman...oh,wait, that was MXY....

=================================

Correction. It was shown in an issue of Superman (# 50, I think), that Mxyzptlk is actually the Impossible Man from the Fantastic Four.

a guy who looked like the BEYONDER was shown in SUPERMAN #11 by the name of Ben DeRoy. Turns out it was MYXLPTLK trying to lure Superman into the open by bugging Lois Lane

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version