Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 45 Next >>
Topic: Wikipedia (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 1  

Frankly when I see how some of us react I understand that she use a pseudo.

They try to do a database that may or may not (giving what is your definition of this word) be called an encyclopedia. Anyway it contains a lot of infos. and the concept of the possibility to edit is very interesting. The problem is the imaturity of the trolls and other bashers.

To help them to make the "Byrne" article more accurate instead of trolling back would be more constructive.

I can understand that John Byrne, after trying during 2 days to correct what is wrong or at least to delete the bashing and rumors about him is upstet. Most of all hearing some of it called "actual fact" (which was an error from Gamaliel, about which it's seems she's sorry. )

But the rest of us could try to make things right. instead of embitter the discussion.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 16 September 2005 at 11:12am
Back to Top profile | search

David Uzumeri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 2  

"This talk page will not be used as a forum to insult John Byrne. Such comments will be removed immediately. This is non-negotiable and non-debatable. Gamaliel 16:47, 16 September 2005 (UTC)"

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 3  

This sort of stuff happens when the prevailing opinion does not match the actual "facts" of a matter. I recently had it out with a wiki editor over the entry on Society Ordo Templi Orientis and Marcelo Ramos Motta. Not something you guys might be familiar with but this wiki was focused on my religion and figures etc. from it. I eventually wound up winning the Ordeal and my entries now stand but I had to get the guy who was changing my stuff back to the overtly biased and hypocritical article he had originally writter. Example being that Motta required his students to keep a diary of their spiritual experiences that would be reviewed yearly to gauge their progress according to a strict criteria of Qabalistic signifigance and according to the visions of the Raja Yoga system. Well, the original article took Motta to task for this but Motta got the practice from an organization called the A.'.A.'. The original article implied it was a cultic exercise but the thing was that the original author of the entry required the same thing from his students, a yearly journal to review for spiritual progress etc!!!! There were several other hypocritical elements to the article but originally they would not let me alter them. My arguement was strong enough to merit the changes.

Look at the entry for Rob Liefeld and Chuck Austen. Both are rants and filled with opinion expressed as fact. Liefeld's entry has been locked into a very negative one. It seems that Wiki locks these things a lot, especially when the subject of the entry gets involved.

Jason

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lewis Himelhoch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 4  

Who is the windmill and who is Don Quixote? That depends on who's blood pressure went up higher. It certainly seems to me that JB spent quite a lot time and effort trying to change something that in all likelihood won't change and matters very little whether it changes or not. I would think his time is more valuable than that. The opinions and lies of others matter very little as long as the people you do care about know the truth. The ignorant will believe what they want.The less people you care about the simpler and easier life becomes. Of course if you're like my dad and are amused by pushing back and raging against the machine that's another story. The only real point of life is to do things to keep yourself amused as much as possible. (Well that and acting as a portable incubation chamber for microscopic lifeforms.) 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Lewis Himelhoch wrote:
It certainly seems to me that JB spent quite a lot time and effort trying to change something that in all likelihood won't change and matters very little whether it changes or not. I would think his time is more valuable than that.

Isn't that ultimately up to John to decide?  Really. Who are we to tell him that a) it matters very little whether it changes or not, and b) his time is more valuable.  Tell you what, if I was in his position having to read an entry about myself on a site that many, many, many people take as fact without the requisite grain of salt, I'd do the very same thing.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

Can someone please, please, PLEASE explain what's wrong with the following sentences?

"John Byrne was born on July 6, 1950, near West Bromwich, England. His first exposure to the American superheroes that would dominate his professional life was at the age of six when he first watched The Adventures of Superman on the BBC."

Actually (!), there is something wrong with the second sentence. JB would have seen The Adventures of Superman on the then new ITV channel rather than the BBC.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

"This talk page will not be used as a forum to insult John Byrne. Such comments will be removed immediately. This is non-negotiable and non-debatable. Gamaliel 16:47, 16 September 2005 (UTC)"

Certainly a step in the right direction.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm just about ready to give up. It seems the mental defective from the DC boards can be several different IPs at Wikipedia and can, therefore, agree with himself.

David Uzumeri
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

13:15, 16 September 2005 Gamaliel blocked "User:198.93.113.49" with an expiry time of 24 hours (trolling on Talk:John Byrne)

14:58, 15 September 2005 Jimbo Wales blocked "User:JesseBaker" with an expiry time of 1 month (repeated vandalism on John Byrne)

It's a start.

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

My oh my, what a wonderful world we live in...

James C. Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

Two days and I am ready to run for the hills. Joe Z, you're a better man than I.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

Checking the entry again, here's stellar proof as to why this experiment isn't working:

John Byrne is a bigoted jackass.

As of 2005, Byrne had signed an exclusive conract with Chuck E. Cheese to draw comics of the namesake mascot. This contract was later voided when it was discovered that John Byrne was a registered sex offender.

I'm not a member of their discussion group, so would someone who is PLEASE delete this.  Seriously. If that's not libel, I don't know what is.  I'm trying to understand who this kind of crap serves except for the basement dweller with far too much time on his hands.

Edited to add: I discovered how to edit there and the above was already taken down.  It still baffles my mind that this "free community" allows anyone with a brain cell to include what was written above or the line I took out, "John Byrne Sucks Dick." 

<< Prev Page of 45 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version